PS1 tops 100 millions finally

J-A-S-D-F said:
^ What deepak said?

Heh, now that u edited it it kinda makes sense. it didn't before.

Anyway, "the majority were to repeat buyers"...??? Where did u get that info from? Oh, wait, i know this one, "all your friends went through at least 3 PS1's"... :|

^ No. I don't really know anyone with a PS1... I have just seen the quality of the parts first hand (knowing how to repair them to almost component level and all) and have bought a swell amount myself. And yes, I do take great care of my equipment/console and rarely play them...

A bit funny on how my PS2 has outlasted 3 of my PS1s...

But hey! I’m not bashing anyone or talking bad about anything… I love my PS2

J-A-S-D-F said:
But hey! I’m not bashing anyone or talking bad about anything… I love my PS2

Not saying that, it's just that saying "the majority are repeated sales" is a bit stretching it don't you think?

That would mean that more than 50% of customers have bought two or more PS1. Which we know is not the case.

^ Agreed... well I think it would be safe to bet that ~%10-15 are repeat offenders.
Let’s face it… PS1 wasn’t a reliable system on the technical standpoint.

J-A-S-D-F said:
^ Agreed... well I think it would be safe to bet that ~%10-15 are repeat offenders.
Let’s face it… PS1 wasn’t a reliable system on the technical standpoint.

I never had a problem. None of the people i know had a problem, actually i can safely say that i consider it quite a solid system, seen how some people treated the thing. Modding it, having to keep it on the side, dropping on the floor. And the thing still worked.

I can't imagine how my PS2 would survive even a 2 inch fall...

Meh!?!? I guess people are experiencing the opposites. People said the PS1 was solid but I’ve read many times and have experienced many times the damn thing self destructing... Even game magazines like EGM had articles on its poor track record....

People also say that the PS2 is a flimsy AMP that would commit suicide it given the chance... Well 5 falls from 4 ft up and 7-8 taking apart to clean it and it was still working. What killed it was accidentally using Witch Hazel on the lens. :oops: That wasn’t my PS2 by the way.

DC has been the most reliable console for me (among my NES/MegaDrive/PS1/DC/PS2), and Mega Drive sucked most....constant problems esp with controllers.

^ What deepak said?
Yes yes, Sony consoles break down so much everyone owns a minimum of 3.

Except that by that standard, the software tie-ratio becomes somewhere in order of 25-30:1 also.
Unless you are gonna come up with some inventive argument how most of the software sales are "repeat sales" also :?

LondonBoy said:
I can't imagine how my PS2 would survive even a 2 inch fall...
You'd be surprised how much punishment the sucker can take.
From my point of view, by far the most unreliable piece of Sony electronics are the Devkits - they break at least 10 times more often then consoles do.

Deepak said:
Faf I think you didn't read my post just above his .....
I think I mixed it up yeah - still hangoverish today and my back hurts on top of it -_-

J-A-S-D-F said:
What killed it was accidentally using Witch Hazel on the lens. :oops: That wasn’t my PS2 by the way.

Remind me not to ask you to fix my hardware.

Anyway, i've had a lot of hardware, and the one that gave me the most trouble with no apparent fault of mine was the C64. The thing would never freaking load those bloody tapes. Hated it. Oh and my PCs have never been trouble-free either...

Other than that, my Gameboy (now almost 14 years old) is still working fine, my NES is fine, my Genesis never had a problem, my PS2 gave me some disc read errors, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some dust-sucking.....

Anyway, i've had a lot of hardware, and the one that gave me the most trouble with no apparent fault of mine was the C64. The thing would never freaking load those bloody tapes. Hated it.
That wouldn't really be the fault of C64 though, but the taperecorder/player you used no? :p I had similar experiences with Spectrum anyway, I must have gone through a dozen different decks, each with different ratio of success for loading certain tapes.
But hey, that's analog recording for ya...

Gameboy old faithful and still trusty...
Oh, and the Witch Hazel thing wasn’t my fault... The guy that I was fixing it for demanded the use of alcohol on the lens and I finally gave in and told him/it to give some to me... He grabbed some garbage in a can and there you have it... a 3 year old PS2 turned into a POS

Fafalada said:
^ What deepak said?
Yes yes, Sony consoles break down so much everyone owns a minimum of 3.

Except that by that standard, the software tie-ratio becomes somewhere in order of 25-30:1 also.
Unless you are gonna come up with some inventive argument how most of the software sales are "repeat sales" also :?

Game rental chains...

Fafalada said:
Anyway, i've had a lot of hardware, and the one that gave me the most trouble with no apparent fault of mine was the C64. The thing would never freaking load those bloody tapes. Hated it.
That wouldn't really be the fault of C64 though, but the taperecorder/player you used no? :p I had similar experiences with Spectrum anyway, I must have gone through a dozen different decks, each with different ratio of success for loading certain tapes.
But hey, that's analog recording for ya...

Well i consider the whole thing "C64". But god i hated the thing. So frustrating, having to wait AGES to then have the bloody thing crash on me.... urrrggghhh...

Like, i've never finished a game on C64. I don't even know if i ever got to the 3 stage on any C64 game. Just wouldn't happen.

Fafalada said:
From my point of view, by far the most unreliable piece of Sony electronics are the Devkits - they break at least 10 times more often then consoles do.

Devkits? Why? Don't they cost hundred thousands of dollors?? They should be bullet proof then.... :)

Deepak said:
Fafalada said:

Devkits? Why? Don't they cost hundred thousands of dollors?? They should be bullet proof then.... :)

hundreds of thousands?!?!? How do u expect people to wnat to work with them! I wouldn't even wanna get close to somthing that cost that much! Let alone switching it on and working with it.

Londonboy said:
Well i consider the whole thing "C64". But god i hated the thing. So frustrating, having to wait AGES to then have the bloody thing crash on me.... urrrggghhh...
That was part of the magic of those days :) Waiting for 5minutes, listening to sounds coming from the tape - I could practically tell by sound whether it was going to load right or not :p

Anyway, I actually finished a couple of Speccy games only years later, on emulator. Strangely they felt easier to play too...

Deepak said:
Devkits? Why? Don't they cost hundred thousands of dollors?? They should be bullet proof then....
You'd wish. Actually it's not that devkits fail completely (we only had that happen to one in 4 years), but their DVD drives are incredibly sensitive to dust.
It's usually 3-4months before drive stops reading discs, and another 2-3months before the tray door refuses to open alltogether. Happened on every DTL I've seen so far.
Not that I actually often used the drive anyway (practically never to be honest).
And no, they don't have recorders, it's just reader.

Back