PS1 tops 100 millions finally

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Link

Imp pieces...

Global shipments of Sony Computer Entertainment's series of PlayStation consoles have exceeded 100 million units, record high for household computer games.

In the year to March 2004, the company produced and shipped 3.31 million PSOne units. (does that mean Jan to March?? :oops: )

Sony Computer Entertainment said it has shipped 70 million units of the PlayStation2 game console since its launch in March 2000.

They talked shipped in the news snippet in the first post, said nothing about how many was actually sold... Though I wouldn't think there's untold millions of unsold units sitting on shelves around the world; would be hard to ship more units into sales channels if that was the case.

Heh, PlayStation sold nearly the same in North America as in Europe (39,67 million units vs 39,61 million units) . Another proof publishers should bring more titles to PAL regions. :)

Evil_Cloud said:
Heh, PlayStation sold nearly the same in North America as in Europe (39,67 million units vs 39,61 million units) . Another proof publishers should bring more titles to PAL regions. :)

Yeah Europe is on par with NA on both PS1 and PS2 sales. Doesn't seem to matter though... :rolleyes: :devilish:

Evil_Cloud said:

Hello!
Goedendag!
Bonjour!
Guten Tag!
Buongiorno!
Bom-dia!
Buenos días!

versus

Hello! :D

Translating titles cost a lot of money, and the fact that in europe each countries have theirs own Wholesaler-Distributors, their own "law" (Green blood for the videogames in germany) do not help publishers in their work. European distribution is really more complex...

And for the RPGs (because that's the biggest problem about the "US games that are never published in EU"), RPGs that don't have Final fantasy writed on the box sells bad in europe (for example, iirc, a title like Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) had only 80 000 copies published for all europe.

It's 'Goede dag!' or 'Hallo'
;)

It's a shame titles need to go through such a long localisation proces before they can get released in Europe. And that's only because Germany, France, Italy and Spain want everything in their language... I don't understand that, but maybe that's because I hate to hear anything dubbed in Dutch or even subtitled (concerning games).

Vysez said:
Evil_Cloud said:

Hello!
Goedendag!
Bonjour!
Guten Tag!
Buongiorno!
Bom-dia!
Buenos días!

versus

Hello! :D

Translating titles cost a lot of money, and the fact that in europe each countries have theirs own Wholesaler-Distributors, their own "law" (Green blood for the videogames in germany). European distribution is really more complex...

And for the RPGs (because that's the biggest problem about the "US games that are never published in EU"), RPGs that don't have Final fantasy writed on the box sells bad in europe (for example, iirc, a title like Dark Chronicle (Dark Cloud 2) had only 80 000 copies published for all europe.)

And us little geeks in the UK get it up the a$$ either way. Even if we are the ones who taught you how to say hi.

Vysez

The U.K is easily the biggest market in Europe though and there's no translation needed (obviously..). So why not at least release early in the U.K?

Evil_Cloud said:
It's a shame titles need to go through such a long localisation process before they can get released in Europe. And that's only because Germany, France, Italy and Spain want everything in their language... I don't understand that, but maybe that's because I hate to hear anything dubbed in Dutch or even subtitled (concerning games).

that's nonsense. Nearly all gamers I know prefer the original version of games. But the publishers keep on force feeding us with crappy synchronizations (Bavarian in Ultima VIII shudder). I have to admit though that they got better.

I guess as time goes by and as the market for videogames gets bigger, it's safe to say games will enjoy the same status DVD enjoy today. Each country will get their language.

And of course, just like today, UK customers will STILL get it up there, getting movies 6 months after the US when there is no need for translations or adaptations, except the PAL format.

Teasy said:
Vysez

The U.K is easily the biggest market in Europe though and there's no translation needed (obviously..). So why not at least release early in the U.K?

Honestly i never undestood that myself... :LOL:

More seriously, if they (publishers) decide to convert the game in Pal they trying to publish it in more than one country, therefore they'll try, at least, to put subtitles for the others languages, so they can make more money with that Pal version.
It's a fact that it'll be easy to publish it in UK and Australia first... But since the games that matters are published by big publishers, big publishers will do it "right" (publish it in a lot of european country) or they won't do it at all.

Namaste!

Just imagine after 20 yrs when China and India become biggest game markets, Chinese and Hindi will be the language of games and then they will be translated to English :) ....games will contain martial arts and song-dance sequences.

^ I don't think so. You never know what is going to happen even 5 years down the road...

Oh, and I almost forgot. Congrats to Sony for taking it to 100 million, though, a majority of the sales where to repeat buyers. I'm guessing that it was/is good hardware though if it broke down and the owners decided to pick up an aditional console or two though.

Back