PS Vita Remote Play mandatory for all PS4 games.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
Didnt Gaikai entereted into cooperation with Nvidia and used their "Grid" GPU servers for compression? I remember reading article about that. In related news, Nvidia will release this "ShadowPlay" functionality to 6xx and 7xx card users in the summer. It will feature automatic background recording of video AND compressing to H264 without any FPS drop during gaming.

I think DF's Gaikai vs OnLive article mentioned that Gaikai ran x264 on Intel CPU. I didn't verify the info. May be they switched ?

In any case, it's hardware encoded now on PS4. :)

Confirmed by Sony. Supports 720x480p. But this only has to do with PS3 limitations, not with Vita limitations. On PS4 we will get native Vita res afaik, the built in compression / streaming tech in the PS4 supports 720p.

Well then we could get resolution above the native res of the Vita screen maybe. 1080p and 720p playback is possible on the Vita screen, so maybe we could get a 720p or maybe even better stream to the Vita which would be great.

Was it confirmed that PS4 will downsample 4x to 540p? I hope they give this information at/around E3. I really can't wait to try it... just bought a pretty nice monitor and the Vita is already sitting comfortably near me :)

I expect HD encodes as that's part of YouTube video sharing. But for streaming to Vita there's no reason to stream higher than Vita's native res. Downscale and transmit.

Well then we could get resolution above the native res of the Vita screen maybe. 1080p and 720p playback is possible on the Vita screen, so maybe we could get a 720p or maybe even better stream to the Vita which would be great.

Was it confirmed that PS4 will downsample 4x to 540p? I hope they give this information at/around E3. I really can't wait to try it... just bought a pretty nice monitor and the Vita is already sitting comfortably near me :)

Why have 1080p stream to PS Vita? It's pointless. I'm pretty sure with the Vita spec it should be able to handle 1080p stream, but unless the stream itself can be used for other device (like streaming to PC or newer android devices) then it would be better using the native Vita resolution. It would give the best possible image quality and save bandwidth at the same time (compared to streaming HD res). And unlike most mobile devices, Vita doesn't have video/hdmi out, so there is no way to show that 1080p stream at its native resolution.

Well not 1080p, but 720p might be nicer than the 960x544p, maybe it would look slightly cleaner. But yea maybe 540p might be the best either way.

Also yea that is a good point, if the stream may also be to other devices, I wonder at what bitrate or resolution it would go up to.

They didn't really talk much about streaming gameplay though to other devices, but I get the idea from PS meeting that players could watch other people play their games through it, like watch a Gran Turismo race in realtime maybe.

Well not 1080p, but 720p might be nicer than the 960x544p, maybe it would look slightly cleaner. But yea maybe 540p might be the best either way.

Also yea that is a good point, if the stream may also be to other devices, I wonder at what bitrate or resolution it would go up to.

They didn't really talk much about streaming gameplay though to other devices, but I get the idea from PS meeting that players could watch other people play their games through it, like watch a Gran Turismo race in realtime maybe.

The PS4 is going to take a 1080p image and basically do OGSSAA to create a 960x540 image to stream. End result is basically the same, and less bandwidth is actually sent over WiFi leading to fewer dropped packets.

Remote playing + Netflix, will it be possible? I suppose that would mean a small GPU reservation would be needed if not already there.

Official site shows tablet for viewing and commenting on live streams, but that cold be partly because it supports twitch.tv of course.

I wonder if they will expand their relationship with NicoNico live streaming in Japan. The app is available on Vita.

Remote playing + Netflix, will it be possible? I suppose that would mean a small GPU reservation would be needed if not already there.

Might be possible (at least based on the specs of the PS4, it's definitely possible I guess, but allowing is another story), but a simpler thing would just be having a Netflix app for Vita? Nothing of the PS4 is necessary to have Netflix on Vita is there? Pretty sure there is already an app for such also in NA at least.

Convenient for continuing movies for sure, but I guess this all depends on Netflix and Sony's degree of cooperation mainly. I don't see the point of Netflix not allowing it except for not caring enough to do so.

Vita has NetFlix, PSN Video and YouTube. No Hulu Plus, Vudu, or AIV.

The Vita YouTube app allows single video replay. The PS3 one does not.

Might be possible (at least based on the specs of the PS4, it's definitely possible I guess, but allowing is another story), but a simpler thing would just be having a Netflix app for Vita?

What I meant was playing video or Netflix off the console for the main screen while simultaneously remote playing a game on the Vita.

Maybe the background task chip is fast enough for that?

Everything is doable with the right amount of resource reservation I suppose. If they're not fond of that then theoretically they could just render the game at a lower resolution and free up some GPU time to help on video/app tasks.

The PSVita+PS4 remote play system should probably match the Wii U latency wise right?

IIRC DF said the Wii U gamepad hade less lag than playing the same game on their HDTV,

EDIT: found it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-wii-u

Latency also factors into the equation when using any wireless device, and memories of the PSP's heavily buffered Remote Play feature have us hoping for a significantly reduced delay between the higher and lower screens. Fortunately, we're pleased to find that latency here is impossible to pick out without some exacting method of measure. In testing the difference, we find results that completely subvert our expectations here; in instances where gameplay is mirrored between the two, the GamePad screen actually renders the image 116ms before the 50-inch LG screen does.
While being far from conclusive (more tests would be required in better conditions), our 60Hz footage suggested something along the lines of a 66ms response in New Super Mario Bros. U - par for the course with current-gen 60FPS games.

There is certainly some good potential, also with the OLED pixels reacting as fast as they do. But the speed at which the PS4 can encode and send the data will be very important. I think there is good hope for decent results, in that the whole idea of leveraging GaiKai-like functionality from the PS4 depends on getting that bit right, and these features seemed to be in focus of the Sony team fairly early on.

The PSVita+PS4 remote play system should probably match the Wii U latency wise right?

IIRC DF said the Wii U gamepad hade less lag than playing the same game on their HDTV,

EDIT: found it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-wii-u
Ouch. How can a display have 116ms of additional lag? It means there's more than 7 full frames that are accumulated in some memory somewhere. Maybe they enabled the motion processing options on the TVs. My projector have less than 16ms lag normally, but when I enable the motion processing (high frame rate), the lag is about 60ms.

Back