PS Vita Remote Play mandatory for all PS4 games.

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
I'm with Arwin, there's no way the SoC doesn't have a dedicated H.264 decoder right from its earliest sketches. It wouldn't make sense to push those Cortex A9 to spend big chunks of battery whenever a cut-scene is shown.

If the Vita was to suffer something in the hardware, I guess it'd be in the WiFi module. Dual stream WiFi would be ideal, but I'm pretty sure the Vita doesn't have it.
Maybe they just put a higher voltage/current antenna?

I can't see how Gaikai streaming would be possible via a server in a remote location, but using even a single stream WiFi connection to send input and receive video would be too much. I mean, don't expect to be playing at tournament level fighting or FPS via remote play, but for your average game, it should do just fine.

Vita certainly can handle 1MB per second (speed I typically get as minimum for game downloads), and Wii U only uses about 3Mbit/s, right? So should be fast enough.

I can't see how Gaikai streaming would be possible via a server in a remote location, but using even a single stream WiFi connection to send input and receive video would be too much. I mean, don't expect to be playing at tournament level fighting or FPS via remote play, but for your average game, it should do just fine.

I'm disagreeing with this, as someone who has a home network that provides streaming from a dedicated server to 3 simultaneous devices over Wireless N the Vita should be able to get much MUCH more than 1-3mb. Even my g device can stream a 720p movie encoded in 264 without any kind of issue.

Even when you take into account the PS4 streaming over Wifi to the Vita a standard 150 still has about 25mb connection (up/down) between both devices. (100/2/2 = 25) That would change drastically if the PS4 was hardwired to the router as it would give about a 3x increase in speed! The idea that the WiiU needed 2 separate radios should not be compared to Sony and Vita. It would seem the limitations of the WiiU was less to do with Wifi itself and more to do with providing this function for people without a wifi infrastructure in their home. If someone didn't have wifi in their home the WiiU just wouldn't work without that extra radio! If someone was still using Wireless G the chances of the WiiU functioning properly would have been weak at best.

My point is trying to compare what the WiiU has for wireless capabilities to the Vita and Remote play are completely separate things. A standard wireless N home network should have no problems providing enough bandwidth for remote play even without providing access to the 5ghz channel or functioning in mimo.

If I'm wrong I apologize

Vita certainly can handle 1MB per second (speed I typically get as minimum for game downloads), and Wii U only uses about 3Mbit/s, right? So should be fast enough.

It averages at 3mbit/s but it peaks up to 20mbit/s, IIRC.

I'm disagreeing with this, as someone who has a home network that provides streaming from a dedicated server to 3 simultaneous devices over Wireless N the Vita should be able to get much MUCH more than 1-3mb. Even my g device can stream a 720p movie encoded in 264 without any kind of issue.

Even when you take into account the PS4 streaming over Wifi to the Vita a standard 150 still has about 25mb connection (up/down) between both devices. (100/2/2 = 25) That would change drastically if the PS4 was hardwired to the router as it would give about a 3x increase in speed! The idea that the WiiU needed 2 separate radios should not be compared to Sony and Vita. It would seem the limitations of the WiiU was less to do with Wifi itself and more to do with providing this function for people without a wifi infrastructure in their home. If someone didn't have wifi in their home the WiiU just wouldn't work without that extra radio! If someone was still using Wireless G the chances of the WiiU functioning properly would have been weak at best.

My point is trying to compare what the WiiU has for wireless capabilities to the Vita and Remote play are completely separate things. A standard wireless N home network should have no problems providing enough bandwidth for remote play even without providing access to the 5ghz channel or functioning in mimo.

If I'm wrong I apologize

I mistyped. What I meant to say is if Gaikai streaming over the Internet is possible, I don't see how streaming locally over WiFi would be a hassle. However, don't expect to win any fighting or FPS games that are at the highest levels of play (any latency = death).

Interesting feature, now I want Sony to release a PSV with a 7 inch screen or/and an add-on for their 7 inch (or more) tablets.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a devoted Vita owner this is very cool news. I really hope that developers do make an effort to implement decent Vita controls - you know the Sony first party studios will and the thought of being able to play Infamous on my Vita is just... EPIC!

What I'm really hoping for though is that the PlayStation 4 itself can be used for Netflix, Blu-ray platform or other entertainment through the TV while running and streaming a game to the Vita, because that would be AWESOME! :love:

It's based on Gaikai. If not Vita, then expect tablets, phones, PCs and/or Macs. e.g., Samsung TV has (had ?) a Gaikai agreement too.

I'm curious also. Did they really need to change Vita h/w to make it work ? You mean add a decoder ?

yeah, I think someone mention it before, too long ago that I forgot which dev. Media engine 2 which is what vita use to decode all videos now is capable of handling up to 1080p mp4 videos, so I think a qHD video feed should be cake in terms of decoding. I tried Guagamelee cross controller, it was lag free because its actually syncing the vita game instead of streaming video over like video. Even that there was some weird connection issue where the character only stuck moving in one direction; but I think it got something to do with bluetooth interference.

I mistyped. What I meant to say is if Gaikai streaming over the Internet is possible, I don't see how streaming locally over WiFi would be a hassle. However, don't expect to win any fighting or FPS games that are at the highest levels of play (any latency = death).

While I agree; it is for a different reason, just from a numbers standpoint the added latency introduced by wifi would peak around 8ms That is the amount of time it would take the Vita to communicate to the PS4 through the router. Now compare this with the latency a typical home user receives to a gaming server (around 80-100ms) and the extra 8ms isn't going to be that big of a deal

Yet, the latency I fear would not come from Wifi itself but rather the PS4 performing additional work to broadcast it over wifi. The PS4 would not simply be outputting the stream to a TV and receiver, it would need to compress it first, then send it to the Vita. The Vita would then need to decompress it and output to the screen and speakers. When that is added to the maximum 8ms of Wifi this could lead to some noticeable latency.

What Sony should have done is included Wireless HDMI, that is basically what the WiiU is doing but this could have been used for both outputting to the TV and to the Vita if needed. When your Controllers are wireless and your internet is wireless it seems the only thing remaining is your cable connecting it to your TV. This would have been a nice feature to have and offered the user more freedom when placing and using their console. And as we have learned Sony likes to use it's products to push a standard, they could have used the PS4 to push their "Bravia Wireless Link" and finally converged wireless HDMI technology into a single standard so all devices would be compatible.

Yet, the latency I fear would not come from Wifi itself but rather the PS4 performing additional work to broadcast it over wifi. The PS4 would not simply be outputting the stream to a TV and receiver, it would need to compress it first, then send it to the Vita. The Vita would then need to decompress it and output to the screen and speakers. When that is added to the maximum 8ms of Wifi this could lead to some noticeable latency.

How long do you think this will take?

The output to a compressed stream is hardware supported and should not create much additional lag (nor use additional memory from the main system, the compression chip having its own 8MB buffer is probably sufficient). At least, that's what I understood, but we'll see soon.

Yep, the original Gaikai uses x264 running on Intel CPU to do the encoding. Cerny said RemotePlay (Gaikai) is done by hardware.

At most, 4 frames of latency. Encoding and decoding are realtime in custom hardware. So one frame to encode the image, send it, one frame to decode, and then display it. If you can transmit while encoding you can get that down, but h.264 doesn't support that AFAIK. PS4 might support some fancy encoder that allows progressive encoding so the frame is sent as it's encoded, and then once buffered, decoded, saving a frame of latency.

What Sony should have done is included Wireless HDMI, that is basically what the WiiU is doing
Wii U's sending a compressed signal. Uncompressed, Vita would need 960 x 544 x 24 bits x 30 frames = 376 megabits per second. So all over-the-air video is compressed when sent and decompressed when received. Whether Apple AirPlay or Samsung AllCast or Wii U's video or PS3/4 remote play, you have the same minimum latency enforce by compressing and decompressing the video stream. The only improvements that can be made are progressive encodes that encode and steam simultaneously. Or is that what you're talking about? Wireless HDMI doesn't exist so I'm not sure about the reference!

At most, 4 frames of latency. Encoding and decoding are realtime in custom hardware. So one frame to encode the image, send it, one frame to decode, and then display it. If you can transmit while encoding you can get that down, but h.264 doesn't support that AFAIK. PS4 might support some fancy encoder that allows progressive encoding so the frame is sent as it's encoded, and then once buffered, decoded, saving a frame of latency.

Wii U's sending a compressed signal. Uncompressed, Vita would need 960 x 544 x 24 bits x 30 frames = 376 megabits per second. So all over-the-air video is compressed when sent and decompressed when received. Whether Apple AirPlay or Samsung AllCast or Wii U's video or PS3/4 remote play, you have the same minimum latency enforce by compressing and decompressing the video stream. The only improvements that can be made are progressive encodes that encode and steam simultaneously. Or is that what you're talking about? Wireless HDMI doesn't exist so I'm not sure about the reference!

Wireless HDMI exists, but latency isn't an issue. It usually operates in extremely high 60 or 190Ghz spectrums in order to have enough bandwidth to push a 1080p over a short range losslessly.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_HDMI

But no, compressed H.264 is likely what's being used.

Yep, the original Gaikai uses x264 running on Intel CPU to do the encoding. Cerny said RemotePlay (Gaikai) is done by hardware.

Didnt Gaikai entereted into cooperation with Nvidia and used their "Grid" GPU servers for compression? I remember reading article about that. In related news, Nvidia will release this "ShadowPlay" functionality to 6xx and 7xx card users in the summer. It will feature automatic background recording of video AND compressing to H264 without any FPS drop during gaming.

2_shadowplay_on-e1369293332291.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...fortless-gameplay-recording-to-the-pc-masses/

Ediot - Recording is not without preformance drop after all. And they forgot to mention that they forced FRAPS to recored in 30fps, efectivley forcing GPU to drop to 30fps also. :D Oh teh marketing....
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/23/4358300/nvidia-shadowplay-and-geforce-gtx-780

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have to wonder what's being used with the Wii, we already know. It's not wireless HDMI, it's an h.264 (baseline profile) hardware encoded stream on the console, sent via 802.11n, and hardware decoded on the tablet. It transfers an average 3 Mbps with spikes of 24 - 40 Mbps. Current speculation is that the spikes are simply I frames.

Despite the 3mbps average, we're seeing spikes of anything between 25-40mbps, and a massive variation in bandwidth that can only be down to variable bitrate h.264 video encoding. The more complex the image, the more information is required to maintain image quality - something the Wii U seems more than capable of successfully transmitting over its 802.11n wireless link.

"I haven't checked but I think the spikes are just the Wii U sending a large I-frame (full picture/key frame)," Bourdon explains. "If you average the bandwidth over something like 10 frames these spikes mostly disappear. In normal operation mode the Wii U sends one I-frame and then only P frames, unless the application requests to send an I-frame or a frame was not received properly by the GamePad (because of packet loss)."

We don't have to wonder what's being used with the Wii, we already know. It's not wireless HDMI, it's an h.264 (baseline profile) hardware encoded stream on the console, sent via 802.11n, and hardware decoded on the tablet. It transfers an average 3 Mbps with spikes of 24 - 40 Mbps. Current speculation is that the spikes are simply I frames.

When I compared the Wii U output to my TV, the Wii U version looked horrible. I really hope it's just the terribleness of the screen, not the output quality from the encoder.

I'm sure Digital Foundry has a review of the WiiU which goes over that kind of stuff.

I think the PS4 to Vita will have pretty high quality streaming. Streaming SOTC from the PS3 to Vita was really good. It's pretty amazing to see an anti-aliased and essentially supersampled image on the Vita screen :)

Back