Problem with laptop freezing

AlNom

Legend
I've had this issue for awhile (couple years). I would load a ton of game sites in Firefox (tabbed browsing ftw) and when I get to one of IGN's pages, the computer would just freeze, music would stop eventually, and then the screen would go black. The screen comes back after a few moments and everything is fine. It doesn't happen all the time though. Maybe it's all those crazy ads on IGN?

Recently, I've had the same issue show up when I play Minesweeper Online (uses 3D acceleration). Mouse/Keyboard input just stops and then the computer freezes followed by a corrupt screen with horizontal blocks showing up following a grid or something. Parts of the screen are just corrupt outright. Everything comes back after a minute or so.

Is it the video memory? I haven't noticed any problems when playing other games like Halo or Warcraft III. The laptop uses a Geforce Go 6600 w/128MB using a modded inf to use 84.25 drivers. The same issues occurred with the default drivers too (that's when I decided to update the drivers).

Got a picture of it: Input just freezes during this and then it comes back to normal after some time. With Minesweeper Online, it happens quite frequently (Windowed or Fullscreen). For the first issue I describe, the entire screen just goes black.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back