Price per performance?

How much are you willing to pay for a video card to play Doom3 and Half Life 2?

• $100-$200

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $200-$300

• $300-$400

• $400-$500

• >$500

• I will not play Doom 3 or Half Life 2. I am a rebel.

• Total voters

Slides

Regular
I thought competition was meant to reduce the price level? Instead prices for cards seem to be climbing? $299 for a "value" card? Are they out of their mind? I refuse to spend any more then $200-$240 on a video card and I consider myself a gaming enthusiast. Most average computer users I know won't spend more then $70 on a video card. So who's buying this stuff? Someone obviously has enough money to buy a $500 video card. My entire system doesn't cost that much! o_O

So I want to play D3 and HL2 at max settings at 1024x768. And I just heard that the 9700 is being discontinued, a card which is in my price range. What happened to bumping the price down for older cards, so the "poor" people can buy it eventually? :cry:

Ridiculous. :devilish:

Good article on this: http://www.overclockers.com/tips00370/

jjayb said:
Heh, the one that was left out was the one that all 4 of us voted for.
Must have been a glitch in the matrix for why I forgot to put that option down. Is the matrix forcing us to buy high priced video cards? :oops:

bcplogo.gif

I spent $177.75 for my Radeon 9500 Pro... and I won't spend any more on video hardware unless I'm given a very good reason.

Hell, I'm still running my P3 800EB... next thing on my list is new CPU/mobo/RAM...

Tagrineth said:
Hell, I'm still running my P3 800EB... next thing on my list is new CPU/mobo/RAM...

I hear ya...I'm still livin with my P3 700. I'm basically waiting for the springdale chipset and upcoming 200 Mhz FSB P4 chips and their prices to figure out what I'm going to be building....though there is a possibility I might wait for the Althlon64 vs. 0.09u P4 war before deciding...

You know your rig is slightly outdated, when you have less SYSTEM RAM in it than the latest video cards have on board! :oops:

I spent $325 for my 9700, and that is the absolute maximum...thats Canadian so about 250 US dollars.
I'm playing WC III with 4X FSAA and 16 AF @ 60 FPS..no complaints here.
Looks like a 9700 will be getting 70-80 fps on Doom 3 HQ with no AA and 40ish with AA...no complaints there either. (these will probably improve once ATI has a chance to 'tweak'

For perspective a 9800 256 meg or 5900 will hit a cool $1000.

I already have a PS2 for games, so I won't spend more than $150 for a video card. I bought my GF2 MX for about $100 in 2000, and still use it today. I'm sure I'll have to upgrade this summer, but that just goes to show haw far behind software lags the hardware (I can still run most games OK!).

I'm not going to play Doom3 and Half Life 2 until they become retro games. :) Anyway, like some others here, I'll be limited by my P3-700 more than by my GeForce3, so I'll wait until I buy a new rig. Then probably $200 max for the card, if I upgrade it (which would depend on what's on the market). Might upgrade it sooner if I find a cheap second hand one, like I did with my GeForce256 and GeForce3.

I wait until prices drop to minimum then buy. Same thing with games since the longer I wait the better and cheaper they become, patched and all that. That way I get the best value for my money.

my >500 vote doesnt really cound because I am forced to get a proffesional card that will be well over 500 and it will most certainly play Doom III / Halflife2 :)

My current card (Radeon 9700 non pro) cost me NT$9,000 (about US$260), and it's the most expensive video card I've ever bought (the second most expensive one is a TNT2 Ultra).

Back