NPD October 2016 Sales Results (As they become available)

Rangers

Legend
The same as every consumer product ever - the cheaper option sells to those who are more price conscious.

Although think the analogy is flawed, I think if you had a 399 card that was 2 or 3X as powerful as a 299 card, the 399 card would sell vastly better. People would know, the 299 card was nearly a waste of money by comparison.

What you get in video cards is more like a 399 card that is 30% faster than a 299 card.

BTW Microsoft stated they won October NPD. 4 months in a row. Aquamarine is now saying she will no longer release any data before the 21st of each month. She's also saying she will send some big spreadsheet of data (including historical) to people who DM her if she gets NPD clearance (So I think she must follow you as well as vice versa). But she characterized it as "private", so I dont know if anybody would be technically allowed to share that anyway. All that to say, I guess we wait till the 21st for any Aqua numbers.

Last edited:
XB1S takes October for NPD. Assuming their BF deals take off they have a chance at November, but the combined numbers (4+4Pro) makes it really difficult.

https://mobile.twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/796837069507084288
Microsoft are regularly doing BF-type deals and stock clearance basically since the release of their XB1s. What more can they do for the real BF ?

Currently you can still buy a XB1s + BF1 + COD Infinite warfare (or any other game) for $299 at Amazon.

The average selling price was like $298 last month though, IIRC, very similar to PS4. The months before when they were clearancing the old model by contrast, ASP was closer to $250.

Hardware Average Selling Price (ASP) in Sep. 2016 USA Retail according to NPD: PS4: $306.10, XBO: $299.57, Wii U: $298.59, PS3: $152.50

So they may be throwing in a lot of "added value" but there's a lot of room to move on price. I haven't seen $249 deals which will probably be in order this holiday. Maybe, unless they dont want to sell the S so low just yet.

The average selling price was like $298 last month though, IIRC, very similar to PS4. The months before when they were clearancing the old model by contrast, ASP was closer to $250.

So they may be throwing in a lot of "added value" but there's a lot of room to move on price. I haven't seen $249 deals which will probably be in order this holiday. Maybe, unless they dont want to sell the S so low just yet.

Both consoles are coming in at $249 + game for BF deals at Walmart. Whether that's enough is beyond me.

This week (and since the release of CODIW) with 300$ you can buy a XB1s + BF1 + CODIW.

During the actual BF a XB1s + BF1 + CODIW will cost you $310 in many shops doing the official BF deals. You get my point ? it's like that every months or so since the release of the XB1s.

Not sure this year the BF deals will be very effective for Microsoft. Good for them they have the better game this year with BF1 but will that be enough ?

Microsoft are regularly doing BF-type deals and stock clearance basically since the release of their XB1s. What more can they do for the real BF ?

Currently you can still buy a XB1s + BF1 + COD Infinite warfare (or any other game) for $299 at Amazon.
Not quite regularly, and not quite BF-style yet, Sony has been clearing old stock and bundling as well last month.
BF1 bundle is $299. UC4 PS4 Slim is $297.

Come BF, they will both be at $249 + Game.

edit: google spreadsheet shows the BF deals on the right hand side.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...aikE8QaqeMG4sJA2rTnfPyOiOuY/htmlview?sle=true

Honestly, looking at that spreadsheet, XB1S should get annihilated.
UC4 Slim + R&C + TLOUR = $249

That's pretty damn good.

That does bring me back to ... why PS4 over 4Pro =P
You save $150 and you come out with 3 games. With the additional $150 bucks, you can buy 4-6 more titles on PS4 on BF. Leading you to have a system + 7 games vs a system and no games.

Anyway, sorry for trying to merge two topics.

edit: also on that spreadsheet you can compare it to 2015. Wow, 2016 is a lot better.

Last edited:
In the UK MS are being very aggressive (well, with old stock anyway) - even in Game you can get the Elite console (that comes with the Elite controller) for ÂŁ200! They also do a standard (1TB IIRC) with Forza 3 for ÂŁ175. Hard to believe how far the XBO price has dropped since launch!

Although think the analogy is flawed, I think if you had a 399 card that was 2 or 3X as powerful as a 299 card, the 399 card would sell vastly better. People would know, the 299 card was nearly a waste of money by comparison.

Again, this is predicated on the unsupported assumption that relative performance is the driver for those deciding which console to buy but there is no data to support this, the data overwhelming shows a preference for a cheaper console. How else do you account for those people who paid more for an Xbox One than Sony were selling PS4? It's only since Microsoft removed the pack-in Kinect that the prices have been comparable and it's only recently that Xbox has outside PS4 by a marginal amount in the US (and not anywhere else as far as we know).

The same number of months which could be attributed to prospective PS4 owners deferring purchases because of the Pro rumours then the announcement. Because even if you're not intending to buy a Pro you know a fair number of existing PS4 owners will and then there will be a buyer's market of cheap second hand PS4s going around.

Honestly, looking at that spreadsheet, XB1S should get annihilated.
UC4 Slim + R&C + TLOUR = $249

That's pretty damn good.

That does bring me back to ... why PS4 over 4Pro =P
You save $150 and you come out with 3 games. With the additional $150 bucks, you can buy 4-6 more titles on PS4 on BF. Leading you to have a system + 7 games vs a system and no games.

Anyway, sorry for trying to merge two topics.

edit: also on that spreadsheet you can compare it to 2015. Wow, 2016 is a lot better.
Do most people during the holiday want to buy a console with BF1 & COD or some Sony exclusives ? Choice will be easy for many of them: They'll take the console with BF1 + COD.

this mid gen console is really a new thing.
so many of the analysis based on historical data just may not fit either way.
if someone was price sensitive enough to wait this long, will they suddenly get the 4pro?
there's people who would've updated to a slim but have decided to go 4pro instead.
some people who waited for ps4slim and have not jumped into current gen yet, may now decide after waiting so long that xo slim is a better value.
etc etc
just how big are all these segments. Who knows.
next few months will be really interesting with lots for Ms & Sony to play for.

Do most people during the holiday want to buy a console with BF1 & COD or some Sony exclusives ? Choice will be easy for many of them: They'll take the console with BF1 + COD.
I wonder how many people really into COD and Battlefield don't have a current gen console already?

I wonder how many people really into COD and Battlefield don't have a current gen console already?

Do you think everyone that buys or plays those titles or wants to play them are "really into them"? I can tell you for certain there are plenty of people who don't have a current gen console who also have lots of friends currently playing those titles on current gen consoles and might be interested in playing with them.

Do you think everyone that buys or plays those titles or wants to play them are "really into them"? I can tell you for certain there are plenty of people who don't have a current gen console who also have lots of friends currently playing those titles on current gen consoles and might be interested in playing with them.
Sure there are. And I can tell you for certain there are plenty of people who want different games and for which R&C and TLOU is a more attractive option.

Yes, but in the past BF and COD franchises have shown a lot of appeal beyond their launch month. COD has often been the best selling game in NPD in January, suggesting that lots of people still don't have it after they get their console and have some holiday money to blow.

Yes, but in the past BF and COD franchises have shown a lot of appeal beyond their launch month. COD has often been the best selling game in NPD in January, suggesting that lots of people still don't have it after they get their console and have some holiday money to blow.

It's a good job that R&C and TLOU are critically acclaimed and enduring games then. :yep2:

Today is NES Classic release day and I've been trying to get one. So far, forget about it. Any major website gets stock and it goes down instantly. Demand is insane.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/11/11/trying-and-failing-to-buy-the-nes-classic/

I just find it some sort of sign of the times that super high tech PSVR and PS4 Pro aren't the hottest things this holiday, nope it's the NES.

Wonder if these will be tracked in NPD?

Last edited:
A guy on GAF claimed another person in line at Target (who wasn't able to get one) bought his just purchased Nes Classic unit off him for $350.

Yet if you think about it, that's similar to other consoles prices, and to many consumers, it might have more desirability than an Xbox One or PS4-even for the same price.

Did NPD make a statement about how these will be tracked? I seem to vaguely remember they did...and that memory seems to be that it wont be tracked as a console?

I wonder what Nintendo is thinking about all this. This is the only thing they've got that sells like crazy. Hopefully it buys them a clue. Cant wait for my SNES Classic next year... and hopefully my Sega Genesis Classic...

Back