Pretty pictures of ugly things from the deep

Some crazy stuff in there. The blob fish was the most interesting to me.

Whoa. That was awesome, thanks for sharing this with us! I really like the blob fish.

Wow many of those would make fine instruments of slappage in kiler's "How do you know if you're dumb?" thread.

predator_headknocker_L.jpg

:love:

Pah! In Australia children are told not to play/touch things in rock pools by the beach because they can be inhabited by the, rather pretty, blue ringed octopus. There was a picture of it in Russ's link. Although small and beautiful, its bite is deadly.

I watched a show on those once, they're nuts. Apparently they're the crowned king of poisonous creatures in the entire animal kingdom. If I remember correctly, they're very efficient at camouflage as well, right?

I watched a show on those once, they're nuts. Apparently they're the crowned king of poisonous creatures in the entire animal kingdom. If I remember correctly, they're very efficient at camouflage as well, right?

Well pretty much all Cephalopods are (efficient at camouflage)

Hmm. I would have thought that they are bright colours to warn off other animals, but don't ask me!

Moving away from the most venomous octopus the most venomous fish, Stonefish, OTOH, are very good at camouflage and also extremely nasty. Remember kids, always wear your shoes if you decide to wade around reefs!

Hmm. I would have thought that they are bright colours to warn off other animals, but don't ask me!

Moving away from the most venomous octopus the most venomous fish, Stonefish, OTOH, are very good at camouflage and also extremely nasty. Remember kids, always wear your shoes if you decide to wade around reefs!

I thought you may enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9trGnkHzxqo&mode=related&search=

If you notice when it perches on objects, sections of it's body match the color of the object. It's a really neat looking creature. Pity it's so deadly.

EDIT: Some more information on it:

"Camouflage:

The Blue Ring Octopus is not an aggressive animal and when disturbed it flattens out its body to hide and changes its body colour to blend into its surroundings."

Yeah, the footage is from Planet Earth. Quite creepy.

And I've seen a video about a pistol shrimp which broke its glass container. Very powerful stuff.

Back