Predict: Next gen console tech (9th iteration and 10th iteration edition) [2014 - 2017]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes ;)
I don't quite understand the UWP aspect of things fully, I may have made some poor assumptions on compilation.
It uses a combination of hardware and software emulation.
Maybe better to say it's got some hardware that helps accelerate it.
Hence why people speculated about the press release where intel also mentions they would vigorously protect their IP.

Either way we don't know how performant it is, may be good enough, or far from it.

Worth noting the first demo was on a chip that doesn't have the hardware part of the emulation (snapdragon 820), it's going to run on minimum 830.

I mean Nvidia could just do a semi custom Tegra no?...ARM proccessor + cuda cores...
hardware configuration possibilities are endless, if there are no boundaries.
There are going to traditional restrictions: like market price (hardware cost), TDP, costs of any OS/API development etc.
Then we get into additional restrictions like: BC, or VR, etc.

I honestly believe that it's unlikely they will leave x86/x64
There's a lot more complications with switching away from x86, there's a huge introduction of bugs and other elements. And we're looking at a fresh 'restart' again, like when everyone was confused why the PS3 was a better media device than XBO and PS4. It wasn't until recently did they have parity. It seems like suicide to go through that type of switch one more time.

GPU selection is a different perspective, and it will really depend on the goals of the company. Decision making becomes both simpler and flexible if you don't need to support the past.
For me, its in my opinion that PS5 will not have BC. They are the leaders today. They know MS is going the BC route, and that might trip them up on the hardware restrictions. I mean, Sony has to know what's available for MS as well. MS can't pull a magic trick here if they are working with the same vendors.

So if you got the lead, dominant lead, and you won it with exclusives and a stronger overall console that is easier to maximize, why change the strategy? BC hasn't proven (yet) to be that trump card. If MS wants to restrict itself in going that way, then push for stronger hardware and let developers remaster/re-release - have some new licensing agreements that can let you buy a digital PS4 version and obtain the PS5 version.

These are possible.

Last edited:
Yeah which is why I said "if Sony isn't going to bother with BC"

It just seems a semi custom Tegra would have a semi custom AMD apu beat in terms of power/heat...

Yeah which is why I said "if Sony isn't going to bother with BC"

It just seems a semi custom Tegra would have a semi custom AMD apu beat in terms of power/heat...
but is tegra x86?
edit it's not

I don't think Sony would be willing to put their population through another OS restart. Their own people will sour if the full feature set is not present.

Plus with Zen they've bridged the gap in IPC so there really wouldn't be any reason to go intel. More money for same performance and zen is better in power consumption as well. AMD are superior in low power offerings ; the consoles won't likely get full fat zen cores, they'll get zen lite. Which will still be a huge improvement over jaguar of course.

One tangible benefit they'd get with Nvidia is lower power consumption but they probably still can't match AMD in price.

Zen is an improvement but they are seriously lagging in the gpu dept. I'm not even sure how AMD is going to compete with Volta...

Nvidia has them beat badly in power consumption right now. Unless something changes in terms of process improvements, I'm starting to wonder if one of them makes the switch. I guess the difference is AMD can supply an x86 APU where Nvidia cannot. AMD needs to make some huge improvements in Navi for power consumption, either through architecture or process, otherwise it starts to look tough to put anything significant in a console with a power budget.
I am increasingly of a similar mindset, where perhaps one or both platforms may have considered the idea. Perhaps if they were smart, they'd have gotten in writing some contractual exemptions for the IP issues that bogged down emulation or backwards compatibility in the past.

It's for those various forms of lock-in and perhaps AMD being more willing to customize hardware, provide hardware details, or offer low prices that could leave it as a vendor.
If it were just in terms of architectural and implementation merit, I would think Nvidia would deserve serious consideration.

AMD's leveraged GCN to the point that Navi being able to reverse things would be a major discontinuity in AMD's architectural evolution. It would need to be so improved, different, and more complex than the last 3 or so GCN iterations that I'd worry that would be its own major risk factor.

When we talk about power inefficiencies plaguing AMD, aren't we just talking about Vega (which seemed to prioritize higher clocks to achieve improved performance)? Prior to Vega, hasn't AMD's GCN-based GPU compared favorably with NV in terms of perf./W?
GCN's first gen was the most competitive, although it was back and forth in terms of perf/W and perf/mm2 depending on which product. Tahiti had a seriously oversized GDDR5 interface that Nvidia eventually out-designed. Pitcairn was perhaps the most area and power-efficient in that generation, and it would be dragged on multiple generations while Nvidia eventually out-designed and out-iterated it.

Hawaii was perhaps the last headlining GCN GPU, although it was plagued by implementation issues and besides peak performance was rather bloated in how efficiently it arrived at its performance. The contemporaneous Bonaire was okay--ish? GCN's more flexible compute architecture managed to hit a pain point in Nvidia's architecture--which was able to do a fair number of the things GCN could but poorly if simultaneously running compute/graphics domains.

Past that is scads of rebrands, various APUs, Tonga, Fury, Polaris, Vega.

Kepler got Nvidia out of the power crunch Fermi had. Maxwell and later have begun lapping AMD. AMD's supposed strong points in physical implementation and power management have had some baffling missteps and unforced errors. I have historically given the edge on dynamic power management and safeguards to AMD, given some of Nvidia's errors that have led to burned-out GPUs. AMD's just gotten worse along a majority of that problem space outside of a few places, however.

Volta seems to be introducing some novel improvements to the GPU compute model, including fixing some glaring flaws that have plagued GPGPU since forever. On that alone, I'd like to see a console vendor try it out.
Nvidia is giving more detailed information on MCM and interconnect proposals, and giving a time frame that seems suspiciously nearer-term than some of AMD's.
I wonder what AMD's price would be to build a custom chip with an Nvidia GPU, if not having Zen is a deal-breaker. I'm not sure that it necessarily would be in the future.

PS5 will most likely be based on Navi, which from the sounds of things should be a step change in architecture from Vega. So are we really expecting Navi to be plagued with the same issues as Vega?
We still don't really know what Navi is supposed to bring. I suppose the hope is that some of the teething pains we see now could mean more resources are being allocated to the next generations, sort of like how the Bulldozer line started coasting in the years Zen was being developed.
Some of the hoped-for changes like MCMs or interposer-based multi-chip GPUs would seem more probable if AMD demonstrates progress in various aspects that really get expensive fast in terms of power, cost, and area. Infinity fabric and the physical links AMD has demonstrated so far are not adequate for what fans dream Navi will do, and AMD's future proposals are a bit light on details. Being able to put 1.5 or 2x the silicon on a package is not going to help if a huge chunk is taken up with IF controllers and PHY, and not if the silicon's perf/W and perf/mm2 don't vastly improve.

If Microsoft chooses to stay with AMD for backwards compatibility and Sony chooses to ditch BC and go with Nvidia and maybe arm cores, I believe PS5 will massively outperform Xbox Two given the typical < 250W power draw for the entire system. That's assuming AMDs performance/Watt doesn't undergo a massive improvement in the next few years. In PC world, Watts are not typical one of the first considerations of a consumer. In console world it is king, because it defines size, cooling and performance limits.

If Microsoft chooses to stay with AMD for backwards compatibility and Sony chooses to ditch BC and go with Nvidia and maybe arm cores, I believe PS5 will massively outperform Xbox Two given the typical < 250W power draw for the entire system. That's assuming AMDs performance/Watt doesn't undergo a massive improvement in the next few years. In PC world, Watts are not typical one of the first considerations of a consumer. In console world it is king, because it defines size, cooling and performance limits.
Yes, a lot like the mobile market.

They could compensate for loss of BC by putting out remastered 4K HDR versions of top PS4 games, for $20 or so.

Otherwise, BC for better performance is not an unreasonable tradeoff.

I'd bet Sony does go with BC with the PS5. The PS4 isn't the PS3 where the PS5 is going to be forced to mimick two separate set of accelerators located on two separate processors/domains if Sony wants to avoid incorporating old hardware in newer gen consoles. Sony has provided some form of BC in every gen of PlayStation except the PS1. While Sony has never been perfect at it as the ps2 slim even dropped support of some older ps2 titles, Sony has always made an attempt up until the base PS4. Supporting Cell through software may have been an impossible endeavor or looked too costly to give it a go.

However, it would seem odd of Sony to give up now that BC actually provides additional revenue streams and where a BC implementation may probably be the easiest historically (outside of Pro supporting older base titles). Plus Sony is going to have a provide some level of BC every gen as long as they continue to support mid gen upgrades. Going the remote play route in offering support of old titles may have made sense when remote play looked like a real possible future as a primary service for all titles. But that talk has pretty much died and maintaining a separate hardware infrastructure for older gen titles seems costly in comparison to just offering BC support on home consoles.

Nvidia and AMD have never been too liberal with new designs that break compatibility with older PC titles. And with DX12 and Vulcan it would seem AMD would have less flexibility when it comes to offering new designs and maintaining compatibility of older but popular titles.

Furthermore, my impression of Sony's vague definition of "generation" isn't where support of your current library dies but rather where a demarcation line exists regarding dev development. When you develop a PS4 game you have to support all hardware in that gen. Don't want to support the base PS4 then develop a PS5 title. Unlike smartphones, consoles sell games using physical media where labeling and packaging comes into play. Sony's way maintains the status quo and removes the possibility of creating market confusion and inefficiencies with physical titles and their packaging.

Last edited:
Zen is an improvement but they are seriously lagging in the gpu dept. I'm not even sure how AMD is going to compete with Volta...
It's my understanding that Vega was just leftovers and Navi will be Raja's first from the ground up design so one can hope. Navi seems to be a complete overhaul but hopefully power consumption is a focus.

:oops:
It's my understanding that Vega was just leftovers and Navi will be Raja's first from the ground up design so one can hope. Navi seems to be a complete overhaul but hopefully power consumption is a focus.

That makes sense. It's more advantageous for AMD to schedule new designs around console releases. Bolster R&D with investments made by Sony and MS and then maintain incremental changes to try to stay current with the PC space. AMD might end up limping along when the current design gets a little long in the tooth, but during those years AMD can just lean on APU and console sales for gpu based revenue. It's not like AMD is anywhere close to market leader in the high end PC gpu space anyways.

Edit: I don't think Navi represents a major redesign but rather an evolution of GCN. Navi has been marked on previous AMD's roadmap as offering "scalability" and "next gen memory".

AMD updated their roadmap in May with an arch codenamed "Next Gen". AMD emphasizes "continuous gains with performance per watts" regarding the design. The arch is slated after Navi with a time frame of 2019/2020. I imagine that's represents a major redesign or else the nomenclature denotes the arch as the target hardware for next gen consoles or is nonsensical.:oops::yes: or :no: LOL!!!

Last edited:
I'd bet Sony does go with BC with the PS5. The PS4 isn't the PS3 where the PS5 is going to be forced to mimick two separate set of accelerators located on two separate processors/domains if Sony wants to avoid incorporating old hardware in newer gen consoles. Sony has provided some form of BC in every gen of PlayStation except the PS1. While Sony has never been perfect at it as the ps2 slim even dropped support of some older ps2 titles, Sony has always made an attempt up until the base PS4. Supporting Cell through software may have been an impossible endeavor or looked too costly to give it a go.

However, it would seem odd of Sony to give up now that BC actually provides additional revenue streams and where a BC implementation may probably be historically the easiest (outside of Pro supporting older base titles). Plus Sony is going to have a provide some level of BC every gen as long as they continue to support mid gen upgrades.
How Sony typically maintained BC seems to point to avoiding an ongoing software investment if they can help it.
PS2 managed because it carried forward the prior generation's processor as part of its architecture. The PS3 Fat had a PS2 added to it. The intermediate version maintained half of the PS2, then Sony gave up.
For whatever reason, Sony did not want to or could not make a PS4 Fat.
The PS4 Pro has hard-wired support for an older GPU, perhaps because it is foundationally the same with additional widgets put on top.
Sony hasn't generalized backwards compatibility for the pre-PS3 consoles, despite there being evidence the software that could do it exists in some functional form.

The PS4's system architecture has the AMD APU hanging off of a central system hub, so it seems that it could do something like have a PS5 with a wonky southbridge that a PS5 and PS4 could hang off of.

Maybe, could be, we don't really know externally. Generally, if there was no unusual delay Vega would have had enough time for ground-up redesign. It's popular to say that now that Vega is out, but Vega was the big change after Polaris, until Polaris came out.
Raja didn't mind hyping them both, and elements built around Vega's base architecture seem to be handled in a less than encouraging manner. Even if it started before, how it was carried out and finished up were on his watch.

Also, some descriptions about AMD's future next-next plans have general features that do not sound like they are totally new designs from the ground up, and it seems unlikely that Navi would be more of a change than designs that would come after it.

edit: spelling/wording

Last edited:
How Sony typically maintained BC seems to point to avoiding an ongoing software investment if they can help it.
PS2 managed because it carried forward the prior generation's processor as part of its architecture. The PS3 Fat had a PS2 added to it. The intermediate version maintained half of the PS2, then Sony gave up.
For whatever reason, Sony did not want to or could not make a PS4 Fat.
The PS4 Pro has hard-wired support for an older GPU, perhaps because it is foundationally the same with additional widgets put on top.
Sony hasn't generalized backwards compatibility for the pre-PS3 consoles, despite there being evidence the software that could do it exists in some functional form.

The PS4's system architecture has the AMD APU hanging off of a central system hub, so it seems that it could do something like have a PS5 with a wonky southbridge that a PS5 and PS4 could hang off of.

I imagine that reality was produced by having Ken at the helm and perhaps the lack of continuity between hardware iterations of the PlayStation.

Also, I presume it much easier for Sony to make BC a prerequisite without the need to plug in old hardware given AMD has a greater level of intimate knowledge of the overall hardware combined with their expertise in modern CPU/GPU design and the desire to not lose the majority of its semi custom business.

Last edited:
I would imagine that PS5 graphics will have nothing to do with Vega. It will be based on architecture anywhere from Navi to 'Next Gen' or something in between / combination of.

Even if PS5 where to be released as early as Fall 2019, Vega would be completely outdated, nevermind 2020.

I imagine that reality was produced by having Ken at the helm and perhaps the lack of continuity between hardware iterations of the PlayStation.

Also, I presume it much easier for Sony to make BC a prerequisite without the need to plug in old hardware given AMD has a greater level of intimate knowledge of the overall hardware combined with their expertise in modern CPU/GPU design and the desire to not to lose the majority of its semi custom business.

Very good point: it's in AMD's interests to find a solution. No backwards compatibility means Sony have greater freedom to shop around; native backwards compatibility is an offer Sony can't refuse.

Given that the Jaguar cores are so weak, perhaps software emulation maybe very doable on an ~2019 ARM core or even NVIDIA's next Denver cores. I'm really hoping NVIDIA makes a push to get into the next Playstation.

Given that the Jaguar cores are so weak, perhaps software emulation maybe very doable on an ~2019 ARM core or even NVIDIA's next Denver cores. I'm really hoping NVIDIA makes a push to get into the next Playstation.

To be honest, I think the biggest barrier to nvidia entering the console market is just whether they feel like it's a good business. Low margin and high volume doesn't really seem like their thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back