Practical benefits of a 512-bit bus

nonamer

Banned
Seeing how it's starting to look like the R600 definitely has a 512-bit memory bus, the question now leads to what are the practical benefits of such a wide bus? I assume that currently such a thing is not needed unless you want HDR+AA with all features set to max.

I'm expecting there to be a new AA mode, higher than 6x. Combine that with HDR and high resolutions, you could start to use it.

With these high cards why would you not want HDR+AA+Max settings? You're paying a pretty penny for it afterall.

It is set in stone that it`s a 512-bit bus?Gawd, tracing that should be a bitch...a huge bitch...I still have my doubts

According to Samsung GDDR4 is only available as a 512 Mbit package, a 512 bit bus is going to need 16 of them meaining 1GByte as standard. How could R600 compete in price against GF8800?

That seems to be the "big problem" with R600. With a 512 bit bus, you can't ever compete on price. Will R600 cost >$700 at launch? With it ever go under $500? $400?

Perhaps they could not compete in price with the GDDR4 version, but it would be a powerhouse.

What about with a lesser model with 1gb GDDR3? Seemed plausible enough for Fudo to report (Pele-GDDR4/UFO-GDDR3).

XTX with high-speed GDDR4, XT with slower GDDR4 or DDR3, and XL with (perhaps slower) GDDR3?

I'm sure they'll find some way to compete with (a) product(s) similarly priced to the 8800 series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether ATI use GDDR3 or 4, they still need 16 of them relative to G8800 needing 12 at most, they will always be at a >30% cost disadvantage for memory.

As a sidenote what would a GDDR3/4 chip cost wholesale? (A quick google didn't reveal anything)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This page puts the cost price of a 700MHz K4J55323QG at ~$US20, I'd guestimate from that a K4U52324QE would be in the ballpark of $US40. (?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whether ATI use GDDR3 or 4, they still need 16 of them relative to G8800 needing 12 at most, they will always be at a >30% cost disadvantage for memory.

As a sidenote what would a GDDR3/4 chip cost wholesale? (A quick google didn't reveal anything)

They could probably disable a few channels for the lower end stuff. I don't think they would need 16. Even the 8800GTS has less memory chips and a disabled memory channel.

They could probably disable a few channels for the lower end stuff. I don't think they would need 16. Even the 8800GTS has less memory chips and a disabled memory channel.
I've seen a report that some 8800GTSs come with all 12 chips installed :!: Can't find it again, though :cry:

Jawed

Memory side of R600 will be expensive for sure. However... Considering that R600 is 80nm and has a smaller die than G80, that should help balance a little?

I wonder even if UFO will have 512bit wide bus? It could have something like 384bit 784mb GDDR3.

Look if R600 comes with 1GB ram, 512bit wide bus, 32TMUS and 64 shaders (hoping for 96) @ 550-600 i'll buy it. That's a good deal. I could honestly care less that with that beast they're probably barely eeking a profit. Thats the price of competition. For a consumer there should be no moral dillema. Feeling bad for a company is like feeling bad for the devil. "But hell is almost overbooked!"

Bahh, so that goddamn picture started it...I still maintain that tracing it, especially considering it`s 80nm, will be hell. Peharps the very high pin-count is given by the high clock-speed they`re targetting...or perhaps it really is 512-bit. Time will tell

Back