PowerVR® Shows Off its Curves at GDC 2004

If you recall their line of Model X boards (Model 1, Model 2, Model 3), SEGA interestingly likes their arcade hardware designs to not lose performance when turning all the features on. For ELAN, they specified a part that could keep up its performance when applying a very high number of complex lights. Indeed, the first six(!) fully-featured lights on NAOMI2 come with no penalty, and the geometry rate it sustains in real gaming scenarios is 10 million triangles/sec.

CIN said:
Elan IIRC can do 10mpps with 6 fully featured lights. I had also read that it was actually about 12million in reality but the N@omi 2 could only actally render 10mpps before slowing down.
Actually the peak was higher but Sega tend to be conservative with performance figures.
This is even better than XBOX BTW ;)
A while back I went through working out the VS instructions needed to emulate the Elan lighting. I imagine today's chips should now match its performance.
I also remember that with every light source added after the 6 it would take a hit but it was not very big compared to the other consoles.
If you used less than 6 there was no gain IIRC.
Maybe someone from Img tech can correct me :)
No need.

Simon F said:
CIN said:
Elan IIRC can do 10mpps with 6 fully featured lights. I had also read that it was actually about 12million in reality but the N@omi 2 could only actally render 10mpps before slowing down.
Actually the peak was higher but Sega tend to be conservative with performance figures.

Shame they never used bumpmapping on the DC. :?

Yeah, developers never got around to exploiting half of the things DC made easy. It allowed flexibility for all sorts of nice blends in hardware support and the sampling like FSAA and filtering like aniso to make it presentable. Few devs experimented with them even though, for reference, a bump map was applied in just a texture pass on DC. Dot product bump mapping did get used, though infrequently:

"Dreamcast Tomb Raider Confirmed:
Features not possible before on console versions will be available through your TV, including bump mapping, environment mapping and volumetric fogging."
...http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=10973...

Wah? What tomb raider was that? Unless it was the one that got released on PS2(AOD) it looked like ass, and I really doubt it had any of those things, at least not any more than the psx could do.

BTW, lately I noticed that pokemon colloseum on gamecube looked pretty crappy, like a game from a lesser system with a few token effects applied, except for when I thought about it, it really was like better than most things dreamcast did in graphics.(large environments 60 fps framerate, and decent poly counts and textures, and effects that dreamcast could probably never hope to do too, the simple things the graphics represent make it look less than it is though)

Fox5:
Wah? What tomb raider was that? Unless it was the one that got released on PS2(AOD) it looked like ass,
Yes, it was an accelerated PSone-looking Tomb Raider port. Of course the poorness of the rest of the graphics weren't the result of the bump mapping or any effects weighing it down... it was simply a very bare port.
and I really doubt it had any of those things,
They ran it on Windows CE, and I think it was mainly titles off this OS which turned on the bump mapping at some points.
at least not any more than the psx could do.
That system wouldn't be doing it at all.

The Tomb Raider example is not some prideful benchmark or anything... it just showed how it was a fairly trivial thing for the DC to apply (mostly PC developers had any inclination to do it.)

Back