ImgTec Launches Programmable Shader Graphics Family

Discussion in 'Mobile Graphics Architectures and IP' started by Kristof, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Kristof

Regular Alpha

More details Link and Link

K-

2. PC-Engine

Banned

OMG unified shaders? That is sweet. BTW you guys stole my other SGX member name. :evil:

3. Betamax

Newcomer

Gizmondo 2!!!!!

4. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Already two topics about it (Press Release & News), but anyway, I'll say it again because I'm so excited by this news...

PowerVR RULES !

Too bad we won't (AFAIK) see that product on our beloved PCs neither in a console...

5. TEXAN

Regular

Check out the demo's.

6. TEXAN

Regular

13.5 mpps gameplay sustained
    1.2Gpixels = 3.6Gpixels (3x overdraw)
    200Mhz

7. hkultala

Regular

AFAIK that 1.2 gpixels already contain the PVR "overdraw multiplier"

so real fillrate 400 Mpixels/sec, plus ability to discard some 800 Mpixels per second.

8. Mariner

Veteran

Not really comparable, I know, but if you look at the highest-end SGX which reputedly will provide 400MPix (before overdraw, assuming the 'overdraw factor' is 3x) at 200MHz yet only takes up about 8mm sq. This compares favourably to NV44 which provides 700MPix (1,400MTex) at 350MHz in 110mm sq.

Obviously this is apples to oranges as this doesn't take into account vertex power or other considerations - the NV44 die area includes memory interface and all the other stuff required for a discrete chip yet the inference is that the PVR technology remains highly efficient in comparison to traditional IMRs.

Certainly SGX sounds as though it could provide the power for a fantastic handheld gaming machine.

9. TEXAN

Regular

How do we know that the 1.2gpixel figure takes into account overdraw?

10. Nappe1

Nappe1 lp0 On Fire!
    Veteran

1.2GPixels /sec would need 4 full featured pixels per clock. I doubt it being available with reasonable power consumption.

11. Betamax

Newcomer

Does this mean Lindbergh has a unified shader architecture?

Last edited by Betamax on Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

12. London Geezer

Legend Subscriber

One? I surely hope it has many! :wink:

13. Betamax

Newcomer

Maybe it has just one big MOFO unified deffered shader. :shock:

14. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

IMHO no.

15. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

http://www.powervr.com/Products/Graphics/SGX/Index.asp?Page=3

That's obviously for the highest end model. Hypothetically it could be easily 2 TMUs * 200MHz = 400 * 3.0 overdraw = 1200MPixels/sec.

16. Fox5

Veteran

Kind of interesting they'd release a new part when their last one still is on top of the market yet has not really broken in yet. I think they'll have to do more than just release faster tech with more features to get used.

On the other hand, their new ultra mobile graphics chip just trounced the Intel GMA900.

17. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

Timescales are the anomoly of the IP licensing model - MBX took over three years to be implemented in silicon and even longer to be productised. With PowerVr having a pretty good foot in the market now, I'm expecting this one to be shorter, but it they have announced it at a similar time as MBX in relation to actual licensee's then I'm guessing it'll be at least 1 year off implementation.

18. Lazy8s

Veteran

PowerVR was ready with MBX before the semiconductor and handset companies were ready for mobile 3D, but that timing helped secure them as an almost universal standard across the industry. 3D capable phones are the next big thing now, so SGX shouldn't be left waiting quite as long.

The Unreal Engine 3 could be a useful tool for SGX developers. Mark Rein of Epic had mentioned that the only reason they don't support portables is because they're not powerful enough yet...

19. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

In terms of development yes, in terms of silicon though they relied on partners and it took IMHO too long. If they want to speed up that process they'd have to build prototype silicon themselves, which might be a possibility.

As for UE3, dunno sounds a bit too optimistic. I'd expect it to run adequately on PC GPUs upon release; for such small cores to run such a demanding game it would have to be quite a dumped down version. Could be wrong though.

Considering though that PowerVR showcased Quake3A on MBX Lite (sans VGP), while others came along with Unreal1 and a dumped down version of Quake2, the trend might repeat itself.

One good candidate might be upcoming STALKER, which uses according to my understanding MRTs ;)

20. Ailuros

Legend Subscriber

Apart from a LG mobile phone carrying Imageon I'm not aware of any other 3D capable mobile phone from the competition.

If you count the MBX powered mobile phones on the other hand the answer is easy, and it will rapidly scale considering the large number of major semiconductors that have developed SoCs with MBX already.