Post your definitions of a Nintendo Revolution!

Would what I described below be a Revolution?

• No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe.

• Other.

• Total voters
Actually drop D-pad and A/B make me think if they are droping the old controller concept and move to some sort of motion sensor, or a camera wich see our moves and make them ( the moves) the controls itself.
That would be intuitive!

I usually don't agree with Almasy but he's got a point here. It'll probably be like the DS.. innovation wrapped in tradition.

It might do one or two special things, but in the end it's essentially GC2/NES5.. as DS is practically GBA2 or GBA 1.5.

Or.. Nintendo could surprise us all (as they did with the DS) and put out something truly spectacular.

pc999 said:
Actually drop D-pad and A/B make me think if they are droping the old controller concept and move to some sort of motion sensor, or a camera wich see our moves and make them ( the moves) the controls itself.
That would be intuitive!

No it wouldn't, that would be really hard to use. Why should I have to move my entire arm to perform an action when it would be so much simpler just to move my finger?

I usually don't agree with Almasy but he's got a point here. It'll probably be like the DS.. innovation wrapped in tradition.

It might do one or two special things, but in the end it's essentially GC2/NES5.. as DS is practically GBA2 or GBA 1.5.

Or.. Nintendo could surprise us all (as they did with the DS) and put out something truly spectacular.

Eh? You just bashed the DS and then called it spectacular? Which is it, innovative or gimmicky?

Fox5 said:
pc999 said:
That would be intuitive!

No it wouldn't, that would be really hard to use. Why should I have to move my entire arm to perform an action when it would be so much simpler just to move my finger?

Because it is fun :D

pc999 said:
That would be intuitive!

Hmm, remind me VirtualBoy disaster... :LOL:

Like this picture, minus the A & B buttons.

gc5qm.jpg

there could be several different controlers, one being the joypad, another one being a graphic tablet or at least something like the DS bottom with its touch panel.

you'll be able to use your DS as a controller without having to buy any accessory.

they'll put a webcam and create some eyetoy-like game, just a lot better.

What about the other direction...

voice recognition?

Or how about the way Jakks TV Games is doing?

Every game has its own custom input device? They've already done it for Donkey Konga.

You could go even further with this idea...

What about a wireless game hub? Place it in your house anywhere and plug in the power. Does not use game media(cd, dvd or cartridge) it communicates wirelessly with the customized game controller that contains the game. Built-in hard drive stores game data and saves. Basically it just serves the graphics and sounds to the TV or display. You could just put the game hub in your coat closet and never look at it again.

This also solves the problem with pirating games. You would have to pirate the controller and the software built into it. Jakks have shown people will buy a $20 game built-into a controller.

This idea could work with DS as well.

Just think... no more getting up to put in a game disc in the console. That would be truly revolutionary, no?

Tommy McClain

AzBat said:

voice recognition?

Every game has its own custom input device? They've already done it for Donkey Konga.

What about a wireless game hub? Place it in your house anywhere and plug in the power. Does not use game media(cd, dvd or cartridge) it communicates wirelessly with the customized game controller that contains the game. Built-in hard drive stores game data and saves. Basically it just serves the graphics and sounds to the TV or display. You could just put the game hub in your coat closet and never look at it again.

This also solves the problem with pirating games. You would have to pirate the controller and the software built into it. Jakks have shown people will buy a $20 game built-into a controller.

Just think... no more getting up to put in a game disc in the console. That would be truly revolutionary, no?

Tommy McClain

U'd have to get up to turn the console on and off.... and to pee... and to have a snack. :devilish:

voice recognition would be nice, not sure what you would do in a game with it... And how about people doing their mojo in silence at 3am in secret cause their mum is gonna ground them if they catch them playing at that time?

london-boy said:
U'd have to get up to turn the console on and off.... and to pee... and to have a snack. :devilish:

:D Actually you wouldn't need to get up to turn it off. There could be remote on/off from the controller or time-out like Xbox. ;)

london-boy said:
voice recognition would be nice, not sure what you would do in a game with it... And how about people doing their mojo in silence at 3am in secret cause their mum is gonna ground them if they catch them playing at that time?

Agreed. I too am not sure of its use in a game, but I also thought that about the touch screen on the DS. Hehehe

BTW, what about those people doing their "mojo" with DDR? That's got to keep a lot of people awake too. :)

I see a lot of potential for games with customized input devices. It would definitely let game developers innovate more knowing that they have to design the controller to make their game work.

Tommy McClain

I'm afraid the only Revolution Nintendo will probably be making is the one they make while swirling down the drain. At least in the console market, anyway.

Blade said:

I believe that what you mentioned here is exactly what is going to happen. :D When the DS was first announced, the critics were saying that it was a "stupid" and "gimmicky" device. Now that the DS has hit the market it has been selling like crazy, making the same critics dazed and confused. :LOL: I think that the Revolution will follow a similar pattern.

I don't attribute the sales of the DS to it's touch screen. It's selling no better than GBA did at launch. It'll be a while before we see whether previous non-gamers take to DS as Nintendo think they will.

EyeToy was a great innovation, opened up gaming to my mum even, but it's short lived and I wouldn't want EVERY game to be EyeToy driven. I can't think of any control system I would want to totally replace sticks and buttons. Even thought-control would be less fun IMO, removing the challenge that gaming offers. Throughout gaming history there has been every sort of controller, but none has ever replaced the ubiquitous stick/pad as the versatile controller of choice. Even DS has pad and buttons to supplement it touch screen.

If Nintendo scrap conventional controls, I think they run a serious risk of alienating many genres and becoming a niche party-trick. Unless they really have got something never-before-thought-of-and-unbelievably-amazing

They could have a touch screen controller.

That way you'd have unlimited buttons and a completely different setup for every game,

They could replace the d pad with a trackball. Or even better introduce a modular design with different setups depending on the game. Whereby the user can assembles the controller, if he wants take the stick out and slot in a d pad.

Touch screen wouldn't work well for buttons. Less feedback, no analogue, less durable. Nice for interfaces but no good for beat-'em-ups!

I say future consoles (PS3 and XBN anyway) should just provide a USB interface, fully customizable button options, and let gamers choose whatever controller they like. Sony etc. can make Dual Sticks configs, Dual trackball configs, tilt-controllers, twist controllers, etc. and everyone would find something they'd like.

each console is bundled with a sort of key with a unique identifier..

when you buy a new game, the first time you use it, it is tagged with the ID of the key and you can't use it without the proper key.

if you console dies you can keep the key and put in in a new console, and you can bring it with you if you want to use your videogames on another console..

this way, nintendo annihilates the second hand market for videogames.

the side effect is they know they sell more videogame per console so they can sell games cheaper and make the same profit, getting a competitive advantage over the others..

How about this for an idea; interchangeable face plates. You can take out the buttons and replace them with a touch screen, or swap that out for a track ball, each is on its own plate and can be interchanged onto any controller.

AzBat said:

voice recognition?

What about a wireless game hub? Place it in your house anywhere and plug in the power. Does not use game media(cd, dvd or cartridge) it communicates wirelessly with the customized game controller that contains the game. Built-in hard drive stores game data and saves.
Basically it just serves the graphics and sounds to the TV or display. You could just put the game hub in your coat closet and never look at it again.

Tommy McClain

About voice recognition, as I stated in other thread here would be really good , in special to things like RTS, tatical FPS, all the boring stuff from menus ... see http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16114&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

But one controller per game that is bad, 1- the price of each "game" would be a lot higer, MP games in one TV idem 2- people do not have so much space 3- devs have to much work to do 4- that is against the simplicity that Nitendo search.

BTW what you think about this

xbox_trackball.jpg

Back