Playstation portable gaming device at PS5 Pro price point

mrcorbo

Foo Fighter
Veteran
Didn't want to post this in the PS5 Pro thread so as not to disrupt the topic, but I was curious what people think could have been delivered hardware-wise in this same time frame if they pursued delivering a portable device over an enhanced home console at this price point. They would have to lean heavily into ML upscaling and framerate-enhancing technology to make up for the reduced power available, but how close to a PS5-level experience could they have delivered?

Just me, huh? :LOL:

To expand a little on my own thinking, a premium portable gaming device targeting 1080p resolution with the super fast storage access of the PS5, the PlayStation OS and PlayStation's designers behind it could have been very competitive in the market and I think would have moved more units than the PS5 Pro will. To me, this would have been a way more interesting play.

dont we have already expensive steam like devices from other companies ?
We do, but they all have caveats. Windows devices are largely hampered by the fact they are running Windows which is not a great fit from an optimization or UI standpoint for a gaming-focused device. I think PlayStation can more tightly integrate the hardware and software design as Valve does with the Steam Deck and if they were to do so with a more premium price that they could deliver something that is markedly better than what already exists.

Reactions: snc
If they released a new PSP or VITA 2 that was based around the new Z2 Extreme SOC and included PSSR, supported streaming (as well as the Portal does), had a decent screen, and the same ergonomics as the Ally for 500-600 then I woud definitely be interested.

Currently I own the Rog Ally OG, Steamdeck OG, and Legio Go. I also bought a Portal. Out of the 3 stand alone gaming handhelds the Rog Ally is champ, though the Legio Go with it's ubers res screen and detacheable controllers is a close second. But like you say, they are crippled by Windows. I can't wait for SteamOS to be fully supported on either of them, prefferably the Ally first. Which it almost is anyway :)

If they released a new PSP or VITA 2 that was based around the new Z2 Extreme SOC and included PSSR, supported streaming (as well as the Portal does), had a decent screen, and the same ergonomics as the Ally for 500-600 then I woud definitely be interested.

Currently I own the Rog Ally OG, Steamdeck OG, and Legio Go. I also bought a Portal. Out of the 3 stand alone gaming handhelds the Rog Ally is champ, though the Legio Go with it's ubers res screen and detacheable controllers is a close second. But like you say, they are crippled by Windows. I can't wait for SteamOS to be fully supported on either of them, prefferably the Ally first. Which it almost is anyway :)

I admire the commitment!

More or less what I had in mind, though I was thinking it would have a semi-custom SoC instead of a standard Z2 Extreme.

Back