PlayStation 3 in 2007 now ?

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1606958,00.asp

Cell Processor To "Make A Sensation" In 2007?
By David Smith
6/3/2004

Sony plans for its Cell microprocesser to come into its own beginning early in 2006, Nikkei Electronics reports today. Speaking at Sony's recent strategic meeting last month, vice president and COO Ken Kutaragi said the company plans to "make a sensation" with the new processor once its ongoing Transformation 60 restructuring plan concludes with fiscal 2006.
Sony's 2006 fiscal year ends in March 2007 -- the company just recently concluded fiscal 2003.

The Cell, co-developed with IBM and Toshiba, is to power the company's next game console and many other home entertainment devices, as outlined by Sony Computer Entertainment chief technology officer Masa Chatani at E3. In a recent interview, Sony's Nobuyuki Idei proposed a Cell-powered television with broadband capabilities for downloading video and other entertainment content.

The first product employing the processor will be a new computer workstation developed with IBM. Prototypes of the workstation, which Sony expects to prefigure the development system for its next game console, are due for delivery late this year.

On a related note, Kutaragi addressed Sony's progress in the DVD recorder market, which he pegged as an important sector of the electronics business in coming years. He said that Sony plans to implement more standardization between its different models of digital video recorders -- the PSX multipurpose console, as well as other products solely focused on digital video -- to save on production costs and keep each line competitive.

Conventional wisdom expects Sony to release its next console in late 2006 or 2007, later than its rivals at Nintendo and Microsoft -- Kutaragi's comments lean towards the later end of that window. More concrete information won't be forthcoming for some time, but we'll report whatever details pop up until then.

I don't read this as PS3 in 2007 but 'mass' usage/uptake of Cell based chips across various Sony devices and across various Sony divisions... ;)

Late 06 still makes little sense concidering that they are going to ramp into mass production, from 3 fabs, early 05....

I still say By march 06 in the US at the absolute latest, Japan may get it Fall 05, maybe October or so.

M$ seems to be on a 4 year cylce, XB2 in 2005 and...PS3 in 2007--->suicidal as XB3 will likely arrive in 2009...

M$ strategy will likely be to 'shake' the console cycle grip from Sony...and chip away at market share. ;)

Jaws, yeah that's a definite possiblity, at least.

Xbox 3 in 2009 would be especially devestating if the PC graphics industry comes up with a workable, practical raytracing / global illumination solution by 2008-ish. then Xbox 3 will be ahead of Sony by quite a bit. assuming PS3 is not geared toward raytracing/ GI in hardware. (while PS3 might manage raytracing / GI in some form, it probably won't be comparable to custom hardware built with it in mind)

No No and more No's I don't want the ps3 to come out in 2007. Origanlly I wanted the ps3 to come out around this time next year but 2006 is my latest.

while PS3 might manage raytracing / GI in some form, it probably won't be comparable to custom hardware built with it in mind

PS3 should have a little bit of GI and Raytracing but very simple but when the PS4 comes out boom I'll be accpect the hole shin-dig.

btw, if, and I mean IF PS3 comes in 2007, I would be wanting 1 GigaByte (1024 MegaBytes) of Rambus XDR-DRAM as main external memory, and I'd want it to be the 100+ GB/sec flavor. all the while I would be expecting 512 MB at 50+ GB/sec.

PS3 should have a little bit of GI and Raytracing but very simple but when the PS4 comes out boom I'll be accpect the hole shin-dig.

yeah, agreed.

There's an article at Gamespot that treats this as a rumor and (kinda) debunks it. Apparently a better translation has yielded somewhat better understanding of what is really being said there.

However, I must say I'm confused about the whole thing myself.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/04/news_6100018.html
RUMOR #3: Sony executives have said the PlayStation 3 won't be released until 2007.

Source: Japanese online business newspaper Nikkei Electronics.

The official story: "We haven't announced anything since E3 regarding the progress of The Cell processor."--Sony Computer Entertainment American spokesperson.

What we heard: In a May 27th article on Sony's recent strategy meeting, Nikkei Electronics quoted Sony Corp. vice president and COO Ken Kutaragi as saying, "We [Sony] are going to cause a storm after FY2006" with the Cell processor. Since the high-speed chip at the heart of the PlayStation 3 and Japanese financial years are one year behind the current year--versus Western financial years, which are one year ahead--some sites assumed that Kutaragi's comment meant the PS3 wouldn't be out until 2007. However, native Japanese speakers who read the article said that Kutaragi's "storm" comment was more about a whole wave of electronic products that will incorporate the Cell, which will be seen in high-end workstations later this year, rather than the PlayStation 3, which is expected in 2006. (For the record, GameSpot adjusts Japanese financial years to match Western ones--life's confusing enough as it is.)

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

Now I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic or anything, but I think stockers will be putting PlayStation 3 on Japanese store shelves sometime in 2008. :|

Think about it. In order for Cell to become a household commodity, strategic alliances must be forged (like Sony's billion dollar partnership with rival Samsung in the flat-panel market), industries must be galvanized, and new technology standards must be put in place ... first.

In the meantime, Sony can satiate videogame fans (next year) by officially announcing some of its content providers and revealing early demos of their work. In 2006, more developers and tech demos should appear, with some being playable behind-the-scenes via workstations outfitted with prototype controllers. The following year, amid promises of imminent release, (prototype) consoles should litter the showroom floor, spinning more games in the latter stages of development.

We should get the bad news after 2007 Tokyo Game Show, where Sony will probably concoct a press leak/conformination scheme to inform us of the "unexpected" delay ... ;)

Pepto-Bismol said:
Now I don't mean to sound overly pessimistic or anything, but I think stockers will be putting PlayStation 3 on Japanese store shelves sometime in 2008. :|

Think about it. In order for Cell to become a household commodity, strategic alliances must be forged (like Sony's billion dollar partnership with rival Samsung in the flat-panel market), industries must be galvanized, and new technology standards must be put in place ... first.
Not really, and waiting that long would be asinine. The PS3 would advertise itself and its games just in being the PS3, not caring what chipwear was inside it.

I'm sure they'll have SOME initiatives in place first, but the broad Cell endeavor is something they can build and improve as they go, even while the PS3 is competing in the market its predecessors have been. If it succeeds to the same scale, it attracts more people to their other concepts as well. Why would companies be more attracted to a platform they can't see in action that's just "waiting to burst" after everything is in place? There's no assurance of any of that, and all they'll really see is wheel-spinning as the competition sucks up all the ground the PS3 would give up by not being there alongside X2 and N5.

Jaws said:
M$ seems to be on a 4 year cylce, XB2 in 2005 and...PS3 in 2007--->suicidal as XB3 will likely arrive in 2009...

M$ strategy will likely be to 'shake' the console cycle grip from Sony...and chip away at market share. ;)

suicidal for Microsoft for sure.

First of all,the media has got this all wrong.The PS3 is not going to launch in 2007.They interpreted the message that way.The Cell and Sony's other plans are ahead of schedule.This will also hurt Sony's fan base because it would allow Microsoft more time to reign on the market.I'm sure Sony is not arrogant enough to allow Microsoft this opportunity so that they can capitalize.

Now,MS killing their Xbox off in four years without the proper fan base is a very fine line nearing close to suicidal.

Spidermate said:
First of all,the media has got this all wrong.The PS3 is not going to launch in 2007.They interpreted the message that way.The Cell and Sony's other plans are ahead of schedule.This will also hurt Sony's fan base because it would allow Microsoft more time to reign on the market.I'm sure Sony is not arrogant enough to allow Microsoft this opportunity so that they can capitalize.

Now,MS killing their Xbox off in four years without the proper fan base is a very fine line nearing close to suicidal.

It's not even 4 years in some area's. ;)

Evil_Cloud said:
Spidermate said:

It's not even 4 years in some area's. ;)

That makes it even worst.I mean,why would you even do that?They are tuggling it out with Nintendo right now,and in some places Nintendo are hammering them pretty good.To be this far behind and trying to sprint your way to the top is not a very good plan,IMO.Microsoft's advantage was power last time.This is what helped them gain a suitable fan base before,which means people will expect this next time.But,if this XNA plan doesn't work,it's going to hit MS hard,especially if they are only relying on this to take over the market.

IMO a launch in "mid" 2006 worldwide sounds perfectly.
Artwork and such has already begin in some studios so that would give developers a pretty good time for firstgen titles.
Also i think many underestimate the PS2 role the time to PS3 launch, many AAA titles are coming out that will bost more sales of PS2 and software.

cthellis42 said:
... waiting that long would be asinine.

Not necessarily. Longer development cycles are a consequence of complexity. ;)

The PS3 would advertise itself and its games just in being the PS3, not caring what chipwear was inside it.

Cell will be the heart & soul of PlayStation 3 -- an assertion Sony's top brass have been making for years. As far as matchmaking goes, I think the two are made for each other. In many ways, the console should be as revolutionary as the chip!

So for Sony to suddenly downplay its tiny teraflop performer would be odious. :devilish:

I'm sure they'll have SOME initiatives in place first, but the broad Cell endeavor is something they can build and improve as they go, even while the PS3 is competing in the market its predecessors have been. If it succeeds to the same scale, it attracts more people to their other concepts as well. Why would companies be more attracted to a platform they can't see in action that's just "waiting to burst" after everything is in place? There's no assurance of any of that, and all they'll really see is wheel-spinning as the competition sucks up all the ground the PS3 would give up by not being there alongside X2 and N5.

Well, I can't argue there -- you are soo right!! -- but can you empathize with me? :cry:

PlayStation, a Sony Computer Entertainment endeavor, is taking a backseat to Cell, an STI one. That this statement may have more truth than falsity can be gleaned from statements the partnership have made and, more importantly, the resources they've been steering toward this end.

True. PlayStation is not an insignificant revenue stream at Sony Corp. Nonetheless, its affect on the health of the company as a whole (which includes more than 1,000 subsidiaries) is inarguably limited, particularly now that the electronic entertainment industry seems to be contracting ... :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to imply that everything had to be in place before Cell would ransack our homes, just the foundational pieces that universal standards are built upon -- i.e., a growing consensus. Otherwise the risk will far outweigh the reward. (Even the rosiest PS3 sales forecasts don't come close to paying Cell's tab.)

Back