Are PCs pushing forwards the console graphics experience? (Witcher 3 spawn)

Pixel

Veteran
I think its symbiotic, and both consoles and PC gaming benefit from one another.

Is the PC gaming industry and gpu powered pc gaming driving console gpu technology forwards ?

Think of where the gpu technology would be without years of ATI(AMD)/PowerVr, Matrox, 3DFX, 3DLabs, and Nvidia gpu powered laptops and pcs to push forwards gpu technology. Consoles like PS3 would have the original plans of an inferior performing cell processor as the gpu of ps3 with double the headaches for game devs. If microsoft came out with a console, think where that console's graphics api would be without 20 years DX advancements in the windows environment. Think where Opengl would be as a possible alternative console api without pc gaming to push it forwards or DX to drive it forward out of necessity to stay competitive. How much GDDR5 would cost without the scales of economy. The likes of Intel, AMD, Motorola, NEC, SGI or even rivals like Sega, or Sony would have to be partnered with to create some inferior performing gpu. Dreamcast, Gamecube, Wii, Wiiu, Xbox, Xbox360, PS3, PS4, & Xbox One would all have inferior performance (possibly significantly inferior in the latest generation), and any system utilizing gddr, gddr2/3/5 would either have less vram again because of economies of scale, or the industry would not have had the economic driving force to develop implement those standards or likley have inferior performing memory standards at a similar cost to what gddr5 is priced at.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jov
I think its the other way around, consoles fuel pc gaming development and advancements.

I think its the other way around, consoles fuel pc gaming development and advancements.
I am specifically and only talking about gpu technology.

AMD and Nvidia advance their 3D rendering technologies and gpu architecture in PCs. Those technologies have such a cost/performance edge over inhouse gpus [eg Sega Saturns VDP1 or Sony's plans for a ps3 Cell Gpu] or non- consumer gpu manufacturer design [eg SGI who designed N64 gpu] capabilities, Sony, MS, Sega and Nintendo that they are forced to benutz them in consoles.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it would be pretty hard to argue that consoles are driving PC gaming hardware forward o_O

As far as the games go though, I'm not even sure it's a valid question. Yes the majority of AAA games are on consoles so they'll have the bigger influence in that regard but I doubt it's as clean cut as consoles driving PC games development or vice versa. No doubt if PC's didn't exist at all, the console gaming landscape would be different and the same it true (albeit to a greater degree) in reverse.

Back