Playstation 3 and Dolby TrueHD 7.1?

jetrii

Newcomer
I was under the impression that the Playstation 3 could not output Dolby TrueHD 7.1 and instead downmixed it down to 5.1 as seen in this chart:
Capab_47789_650.jpeg

Someone at AVS claimed he can "verify that that PS3 FAQ is not correct in regards to 7.1 output for TrueHD/DD+. I have tested this with the 2008 Dolby Blu-Ray demo disc. It has a 7.1 channel check both for DD+ and TrueHD. I received audio correctly from all the correct speakers with the PCM output via HDMI."

Was TrueHD fixed with a firmware update?

As I recall, DD+ cannot be bitstreamed on the PS3.

Really? I could have sworn that I've done it before... Oh well, that doesn't really bother me. I am mainly interested in the TrueHD as that could change my plans to purchase a second PS3.

Dolby True HD cannot be bitsreamed, but can be internally decoded and output as LPCM. Yes, that was added in a firmware update (several updates ago, IIRC).

Dolby True HD cannot be bitsreamed, but can be internally decoded and output as LPCM. Yes, that was added in a firmware update (several updates ago, IIRC).

I know it can be outputed as LPCM, but is it outputed at 7.1 or downmixed to 5.1?

I found an additional chart claiming that the Playstation 3 supports TrueHD 7.1 without converting it down to 5.1. I'd love to get a definite answer.
bdcv16ra7.png

EDIT: Didn't mean to double post

SCEA's PS3 Knowledge Base

Footnotes
1 To output in 7.1 channel audio you must be connected via the HDMI OUT port on the PLAYSTATION 3 to a display or receiver that is compatible with Linear PCM 7.1 Ch. supported by Dolby TrueHD or a similar format.
2 The PLAYSTATION 3 system does not support output from the DTS-HD 7.1 channel. DTS-HD 7.1 channel audio is output from a 5.1 or lower channel.

There are a few 7.1 LPCM games for PS3. (Resistance and Ridge Racer 7 being two) However, the actual output can vary with various HDMI audio receivers. Receivers which can only output 5.1 LPCM are more prone to these problems too. Some of the older HDMI receivers cannot receive 7.1 LPCM at all and just output stereo. So if you want to play Resistance and RR7 on at least 5.1 on these receivers, forget about LPCM and stick to Dolby Digital. Others (like my Harman Kardon AVR347) while 5.1 as well, can accept 7.1 signal, cut out additional channels, and can output at 5.1 with no problem. (Mine can be turned into 7.1 LPCM device with a firmware update, so no problem for me.)

PS3 itself however, have no limitations on its conversion of Dolby True HD into PCM. Whatever channels were fed into Dolby True HD, will be converted exactly into same channels for decoded LPCM as well. Of course, Dolby True HD is only useful for movies. Games will stick with Dolby Digital for the most part with only a handful of games supporting 5.1 48khz LPCM and very few games supporting 7.1 LPCM.

Hmmm, I guess old receivers were used when testing TrueHD 7.1 over LPCM. That would explain the rumor.

Back