Planetside 2 : F2P [PS4]

We all know about it. These guys a have funny series going on on optimising the game called : Make Faster Game !

I thought its pretty interesting to share. not technical at all just funny to ee the devs running in circles around problems, banging heads over small things and see how frustrating development can get sometimes. Anybody who has been in it will identify with it even more :

Here's the latest episode :

Here's the previous one:

The episode on this one guy on the studio just making bots, which don't even feature in the game is just fun :p

They are using PhysX, which means the PS4 implementation will run physics on the Jaguar cores ? :)
Does the game support other physics engine ?

Wow, do you have a linkie ? Interested to see the context when the nVidia guy said that.

I think this is actually old news. Nvidia doesn't see the console space as an area where they need PhysX as value add vs AMD cards, and if console games use PhysX that runs better on Nvidia in the PC space ...

Cool, the nVidia press release doesn't say much.

Will be interesting to see how well it makes use of HSA. So is it built on OpenCL for PS4 ?

They are using PhysX, which means the PS4 implementation will run physics on the Jaguar cores ? :)
I'd guess yes, but most likely simply because it makes more sense any way. You can depend on NVIDIA implementing PhysX well on consoles, it's no skin off their back.

Awwww nooo...I thought it was a launch game :( !

Early next year is fine. This fall we have KZ3, BF4 and CoD. Don't want everyone to rush.

The other SOE title I want to see is EverQuest. However, their CEO mentioned that they don't have a plan to port it to PS4 yet.

EDIT: I think there are also Warframe and Warthunder near launch but I'm not sure.

I was too stoked about this,but yes, we do have BF4 and KZSF to enjoy. BTW, our country's PS website has suddenly started showing the 29th November date on its PS4 page :p ! But there is still no news from SOny, so it could just be an error, but......lets hope its not !

I thought I would like this game a lot more than I did.

I was a big fan of PlanetSide 1 when it first released... I loved that game. I loved how you had to commit to a character and build up that character. I appreciated the slowed paced and more tactical feel to the combat. It felt like teamplay was more significant, despite the overpower MAXs and such that messed up the game.

There was still value to hyper-specializing though to do crazy hack jobs and create a spawn point for your side in the middle of enemy territory, that was great.

PlanetSide 2 feels more like a "big shooter with teamplay kind of like Battlefield, just with more players."

But the problem is that's all it feels like. Sure the graphics and everything are great, but the progression and everything just feels more shallow.

I think it's a difficult balance to make in the F2P world and in the shooter world to make a game rewarding and responsive and easy to get into and all of these things...

That said I don't think it is able to balance all these things well enough to make the game rewarding for myself. I just don't feel the same sense of identity with my characters of the sense of progression that made me love PS1 so much. It just doesn't feel like the same game to me.

I just think the game design and player progression and sense of purpose in the game is far too shallow. It feels like a "any other FPS" at some point, just with more players, and far more unfair and balanced battles where you are being totally crushed/crushing the enemy, or just kind of lame stalemates in the "usual areas" around a forcefield... until it inevitably comes down and one side just gets steamrolled.

It's a fun game to play once in a while IMO, but not a rewarding enough game for proper investment, unless you have a pack of buddies who plays regularly and is willing to invest time into the game and so are you. Otherwise, I couldn't recommend it for anyone else.

When's the next update for Planetside 2 (PC) ? What are they going to change/improve ?

Will PS4 players play with PC players ?

No there is no cross platform play (that is probably a good thing in this case to have everyone start fresh).

No idea when the next updates are but I believe they are planning to add underground areas in the future along with entirely new continents (one is jungle based I believe).

Interesting article on Cinemablend where they reference a Gamespot video:

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Planetside-2-PS4-Confirmed-60fps-64827.html

The guy that's being interviewed states something along the lines of; PS4 running at ultra settings, in 1080p, and 'peaking' at 60fps along with 'lots of optimisation to be done'. It's around the 10:00 mark in the video.

'Peaking' could of course mean staring at the floor, but since he follows with 'lots of optimisation to be done' means that they're maybe aiming for 60fps, possibly with an unlocked framerate.

Back