Planet Earth

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Talk about impressive. If you have a HDTV, you owe it to yourself to watch this series. Just amazing presentation. Easily some of the most breathtaking footage ever recorded. And it'll be mine on HD DVD later for keeps :)

I watched Seasons and Mountains on Sunday night and was very impressed with the imagery and camera work. Definitely something to see on HD if I had one :cry:

The Beeb do do these sorts of programmes rather well (especially when backed by US funding!). I've only seen it in SD, even so it's got some cracking camera-work.

One of the things I like about the series (other than the fantastic images) is the diaries at the end.

Definatley looking forward to it coming out on HD-DVD.

CC

Just thought I'd chime in and add that I also thought this series was really breathtaking so far. Fortunately there are 8 parts left to go :)

We've already had the whole series broadcast over here, and it has quite incredible visuals throughout. I thought it's presentation was quite different from what has gone before, with just this sense of a massive vista in almost every shot. It's just great quality in everything it does.

In fact, I saw an interview with David Attenborough and when they showed him the initial filming and asked him to do the presenting/narrating, he couldn't believe the incredible shots they were taking, and how it was beyond what had been done before. High praise from a man who has been involved time and time again in ground-breaking and seminal natural history series.

It was filmed in HD, so expect high quality HD/Blu-ray versions in the future.

Don't have HD DVD yet(not investing in either of the next-gen formats until one wins) but I do have HDBits to give me my HD fix. Screens look nice, I'll check it out.

kongoafrikaeb1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope netflix gets some copies of this... Seems like it'll be a showcase set of discs for BR/HD DVD (comes out late april, it seems).

I wish I could rationalize the 70 monies on it, but I can't...

The few bits of this I saw always looked rather soft to me and made me think the camera equipment is working at 720p resolution.

Jawed

Sadly, both of those video links are for UK visitors only. Here's Discovery's site for USA (and probably elsewhere) viewers. There are some video clips, but no HD as far as I can tell. The series started here last weekend. I caught a bit of it (the snow leopards and birds of paradise; "view clip" on the Jungle scene on Discovery's site), and even on an SD TV it was fascinating (if not eye-poppingly crisp).

Try here. It's the list when I typed "anonymous proxy UK" into Google. Then put that address into your browser as a proxy.

As the saying goes "Give a man a URL, and you've given him browsing for an hour. Teach him how to use Google, and he can browse for himself."

Doesn't work :( (changed proxy settings in Firefox using different proxys and page just doesn't load etc..)

Rather irritating that it comes out on HD-DVD in the US before the UK (I haven't even seen a release date for the UK).

My biggest criticism of this series is that they don't tend to stay on one topic long enough for my taste. I think it it is because they are trying to cover too much in one program.

One thing that I notice in these other than the spectacular aerial shots is that they have really got the hang of time-lapse shots of plant-life. Rather than just a static shot of something growing, they pan along with it or rotate around it. Quite cool.

CC

Doesn't work :( (changed proxy settings in Firefox using different proxys and page just doesn't load etc..)
Normally, you don't change your proxy settings for one of those. You just insert the URL in the inputbox on their site and press "go".

For anyone curious... it seems Netflix will be getting copies (of the BR version, at least -- that's all I checked). Wasn't sure if rental places would get this type of thing.

Back