Phil Harrison went from working for MS to working with MS.

Although he might be working on something game related (software/hardware), I wouldn't be surprised "later" that MS has sold (*cough* spun off *cough*) the XBOX division to this new company. Just saying...

Sounds like it's likely something that Microsoft R&D have worked on but have decided not to turn into an actual product. It was obviously something Phil Harrison wanted to turn into a product, however, and when MS decided not to productize it, he decided to form his own start up to turn it into a product. I'm guessing either MS thought the product to be either too risky or didn't align well with its stockholders (whom they are trying harder to please).

There is a ton of stuff that MS R&D comes up with that the public never sees and dies a quiet death. It'll be interesting to see what this ends up being.

When asked about whether it is related to games...

Harrison has an answer for that assumption. “We’re definitely in the same neighborhood,” he said. “Probably on the same street, but probably not the next-door house — if that makes any sense.”

So a bit vague. Is he confirming it's gaming related but definitely not Xbox related (not the next-door house)? Or is he saying it's sort of related to games, but not really.

Regards,
SB

Maybe, but unlikely...

Project milo

Can't be...

Kinect 3. Self contained and could be used with any thing.

Not possible...

Due to -

“Allow has licensed some technology from Microsoft that will form the basis of our initial investigations and explorations,” Harrison told GamesIndustry.biz. “But I’m not going to say any more than that. It’s unannounced technology that nobody outside Microsoft knows about.”

While MS hasn't announced anything about an HMD (other than HoloLens) I think people outside MS know they've been working on or at least experimenting with HMDs.

I'm really curious about what it is that Harrison finds so promising that he's willing to take a huge risk in starting up a new company in order to try to turn it into a product.

Regards,
SB

Minecraft and Hololens are clearly somehow connected. Now I can add Phil for a magical triangle. ;)

Back