Phantom is solid, according to [H]

WaltC said:
Hanners said:
They have, however, taken millions in investors money. For a PC with a cathode ray tube and nice-looking sleeve?

Besides which, I can't see how this particular article refutes any of the specific points in the original article [H] posted - If I'm wrong and this is the case, you should be able to provide a few quotes from the original article and then show how they have been dismissed by this subsequent work.

Actually, I don't recall IL "taking" anything from investors that investors did not freely give IL, and give with a 100% knowledge of the company they were giving it to...;) I'll be happy to stand corrected if you can demonstrate how IL took a penny of investor money against the will of their investors...;)

That's the thing--you guys have got IL's investors pegged as utter idiots with far more money than brains, and have concluded that [H] needs to save them from themselves, even if they don't agree...;)

That is insult to injury, he asks you to back it up ... you quote the question in which he does so, and you still ignore it entirely.

Sometimes I wonder if you ever read the original article :) You never try to attack anything specific in it that is for sure, regardless of the screens full of opinion on the subject.

Walt, your opinion on this is ridiculous and is based entirely on your bias against [H]. Hey, I bet you were still sore about the Doom 3 NV35 benchmarks.

The fundamental component of Phantom is still vapor--the service. The hardware is not and has never been the focus. Everybody has always known that the hardware is a standard PC. What separated it from Xbox, PS2, whatever was the delivery method. Which still doesn't exist at all. THAT is the vapor. The hardware is what we need before we can even DISCUSS the service.

Hell, give me a grand and I could build that exact box for you in a day and a half. It's nothing special. Walt, you're just pissy about Kyle, and I bet it comes from your [H]ardcore ATI bias.

Just want to say it can still be viable .

I have many friends that don't know crap about computers and come to my house and say wow look at doom3 or wow look at eq2 .

When they ask if they can play it on thier system i have to say no. You told me you don't want to play games so we didn't spend the money on video.

This would be good as they can still play the games. Sure it wont be cutting edge power . But then again would u need anything than say a geforce fx 5600 ultra when rendering at 640x480 or even at the lowest hdtv res ?

Perhaps if it doesn't come out till 2005 they can even upgrade to a 6600 line of cards .

I think its an okay system. I don't think it will bite into the console world. But there are some people that will pick it up . Esp if you can get online with it .

I also agree that the hardware is purely secondary here. IL is just using off the shelf PC parts, and they can pick and choose closer to the introduction what exactly they want to use for their product.

Content delivery as they are hoping to provide is a huge problem. Lets look at another content delivery system that was released by another well known company, and the problems they had with it. Valve released Steam last year, and it was anything but smooth. There are several things to consider here though:

Valve actually has had a product ship, and continues to rake in a LOT of money from the original Half Life (hell, it really is their ONLY product). Ok, here is a software developer with many millions of backing from consumers and IHV's alike, and they had some pretty extreme problems with their content delivery system. How do we expect IL to be able to do essentially the same thing with 1) no previous shipping product to help provide revenue and 2) without any real experience in the software department with a shipping product?

Now, the think IL has going for them is that there is no previous installed base of products, which is what Valve had (how many HL and CS users tried to install Steam when it was first released? I would say many hundreds of thousands). So, IL has the "luxury" of building up their content delivery system once their product starts to sell, and work out bugs at a much more leisurely pace that Valve had to.

Now, as for Kyle and his article, you know my opinion about that. It was a well documented and researched article, and the only real reason IL is going after Kyle is that he is a small fry in the world of journalism. They figured he had enough viewership, and enough links that potential investors might take a look at his article, but that he wouldn't have the financial means to fight off any kind of extended court battle. Whether you agree with Kyle or not, you have to appreciate that he is standing up against these guys. If I had written such an article, and a company with a couple million in the bank came to me and said take it down or else we go to court for a long time, and it could cost you many, many thousands of dollars. I would have probably said, "Hey, its down already." I am glad Kyle stood up, as this case could set a very important precedent to the startup website industry.

IL has a long ways to go, and with Tim's previous record and the amount of money they are already burning through, I think it will end up failing. Trying to break into the console market when your company doesn't even have a previous product to back it up is essentially suicide. I mean Sega, which is a large corporation with many past successes, dropped out of the console market even when they had a somewhat successful product. MS has BILLIONS of dollars in available cash, so they had the means to take on Sony and Nintendo in the console market (and it is questionable if the XBox division has made MS any money).

Oh well, I guess we will see.

WaltC said:
Actually, I don't recall IL "taking" anything from investors that investors did not freely give IL, and give with a 100% knowledge of the company they were giving it to...;) I'll be happy to stand corrected if you can demonstrate how IL took a penny of investor money against the will of their investors...;)

Nobody said anything about taking money against anyones will, that's just twisting the argument - The question is, what information exactly was given to those investors before they parted with that money and, more importantly, was that information correct?

Of course, that question is unanswerable, so let's return to the question I asked you which you so neatly sidestepped - What information in Kyle's new article goes against or refutes anything he stated in his initial article?

This article is certainly disappointing in that it eliminates at least one facet of the irony in the Phantom's name. :D

But really, picking over the size and incomplete nature of a mockup is rather lame. As others have said, the real, er, meat of the Phantom is the service and the value it will offer to consumers. Will a subscription service succeed with usually cash-starved teens? I doubt it, but I've read and since forgotten most of Infinium's service details. Do you pay a monthly fee, or a per-game fee? Can you play a game you bought on a friend's Phantom? And how will kids feel about not being able to sell an old or completed game to offset the cost of a new one?

I thought the article at the center of the controversy is still valid, though. It pointed out some eyebrow-raising inconsistencies and general questions about Infinium. No gamer was hurt in the funding of the console or the writing of that article, and I'm not going to feel sorry for investors who don't do their research, but you have to admit that Phantom blew an unusual amount of smoke at intro. In that respect, I think the community's (and Kyle's) skepticism is (and was) justified.

The community's mockery, though? Well, words can never hurt Infinium, or so I've been told. And I don't think sticks and stones transfer well over the internet. ;)

Really, it's a question of PR, and Infinium could have done better. Heck, remember ArtX members being caught posting on Ars playing up their tech (before the GC and R300)? None of that mattered, b/c they finally put out quality hardware. Infinium should just shut up and put up. They keep arguing on the internet, though, and they'll lose.

OK, I'm out of hackneyed phrases, so I'm out. West Siiide!

jvd said:
Just want to say it can still be viable .

I have many friends that don't know crap about computers and come to my house and say wow look at doom3 or wow look at eq2 .

When they ask if they can play it on thier system i have to say no. You told me you don't want to play games so we didn't spend the money on video.

The ApeXtreme system seems better imo... you don't have to have broadband, then download the game, you just have to buy the game and stick in the disc, let it install, and play. No monthly charge...

But then again would u need anything than say a geforce fx 5600 ultra when rendering at 640x480 or even at the lowest hdtv res ?

The lowest hdtv res is 1280x720. I don't think the 5600 will cut it. ;) Plus, turn on AA or AF and... yeah, I'd rather go for the 9600xt if budget were a problem.

What I really find amusing is that some folks, without any proof whatsoever, want you to buy their BS that we are doing a "switcheroo" or are changing our position somehow. My opinions stand firm. I would kindly ask that if anyone is going to point out issues that we are "wrong" about, that you at the very least quote and link the statement you are referring to. Otherwise it seems to lead to people making things up and putting words in our mouths at HardOCP that have never been uttered. I often see folks who spend their time making very long forum posts get lost in their own little fantasy world where they believe everything they write to be fact. All I ask is that you not be delusional and stick to the facts.

This is the first and only article that we have written about the Phantom Console.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjU3

I am pretty sure the other one we wrote was about the CEO behind the Phantom.
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTEy

I stand behind both 100%. I am a bit unclear how we are changing position when we have really never even addressed the subject matter before. That said, an ATX computer in a fancy covering is hardly proof of concept for any business model.

That said, an ATX computer in a fancy covering is hardly proof of concept for any business model.

When I read your recent article I thought wtf. :LOL:
That couldn't be the real 'Phantom'. I thought Phantom was a console?

FrgMstr said:
All I ask is that you not be delusional and stick to the facts.
Of course. We'll stick to the facts while you go on making campy speeches on our military forces and having elementary school level fits of proclaiming how deeply you despise other people. Sounds like a plan.

Bolloxoid said:
FrgMstr said:
All I ask is that you not be delusional and stick to the facts.
Of course. We'll stick to the facts while you go on making campy speeches on our military forces and having elementary school level fits of proclaiming how deeply you despise other people. Sounds like a plan.

Fair deal, I will stick to the facts and not wax poetic about defending my First Amendment rights. Put your money where your keyboard is and bring on the facts you want to discuss. I have a feeling though you will not come up with much of an argument if you have to document what you say on this topic at hand. Your turn bigshot.

FrgMstr said:
That said, an ATX computer in a fancy covering is hardly proof of concept for any business model.
Nobody tell FalconNW/Alienware/MS! ;)

I couldn't pass on it, but I get your point that a hardware mockup is no substitute for a demonstration of Infinium's real product: online delivery on demand.

I'm curious if they considered launching in a more broadband-saturated market like Korea, first.

Since IL is a public company they will have to prove malice not just negligence.

Penalty [h] may have to buy some lawyer a new car and the case could take years since there is likely enough here to cause a judge to at least here the case

!Me no lawyer!

flick556 said:
Since IL is a public company they will have to prove malice not just negligence.

Penalty [h] may have to buy some lawyer a new car and the case could take years since there is likely enough here to cause a judge to at least here the case

!Me no lawyer!

Been there, done that. Our legal fees are already in excess of $130,000. I know some of you will think we are nuts for doing this, but the bottom line is that the article's facts are correct, and our opinions are our opinions and I have every right in the USA to express them. And I am simply not taking the article down because some company with millions of dollars wants to bully me because they do not like the truth being freely accessible by millions. It is not right and it is not the American way.

I said from day one this is a lot bigger than just HardOCP. We may have the opportunity to get some case law on the books that will benefit every website in the USA that has an opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens.

As for the money, Mom always said save up for a rainy day and we have done that for a long while now. Also, I don't think I would want to get up every morning knowing that I allowed my ethics and values to be swept under the rug for a little bit of cash. This has been a defining moment in my life. Others may not see it that way, but I do guarantee one thing, other companies will think twice in the future before threatening us with legal action for sharing facts and opinion.

FrgMstr said:
Been there, done that. Our legal fees are already in excess of $130,000. I know some of you will think we are nuts for doing this, but the bottom line is that the article's facts are correct, and our opinions are our opinions and I have every right in the USA to express them. And I am simply not taking the article down because some company with millions of dollars wants to bully me because they do not like the truth being freely accessible by millions. It is not right and it is not the American way.

I said from day one this is a lot bigger than just HardOCP. We may have the opportunity to get some case law on the books that will benefit every website in the USA that has an opinion. It will be interesting to see what happens.

As for the money, Mom always said save up for a rainy day and we have done that for a long while now. Also, I don't think I would want to get up every morning knowing that I allowed my ethics and values to be swept under the rug for a little bit of cash. This has been a defining moment in my life. Others may not see it that way, but I do guarantee one thing, other companies will think twice in the future before threatening us with legal action for sharing facts and opinion.
:oops:

And I thought $30 for cookies was a lot, but you really put your money where your mouth is!

I don't get why people are bashing you on this one Kyle, I've really liked what you were doing since the first article and I have admired your stance/actions on it....best of luck and don't let the gobble-monsters get ya down. 8)

The Baron said:
Walt, your opinion on this is ridiculous and is based entirely on your bias against [H]. Hey, I bet you were still sore about the Doom 3 NV35 benchmarks.

The fundamental component of Phantom is still vapor--the service. The hardware is not and has never been the focus. Everybody has always known that the hardware is a standard PC. What separated it from Xbox, PS2, whatever was the delivery method. Which still doesn't exist at all. THAT is the vapor. The hardware is what we need before we can even DISCUSS the service.

Hell, give me a grand and I could build that exact box for you in a day and a half. It's nothing special. Walt, you're just pissy about Kyle, and I bet it comes from your [H]ardcore ATI bias.

What I find the most remarkable about all of this (including the admittedly strange intellectual diversion the situation has provided for me from time to time), is why anybody, let alone [H], gives a fluff about what IL is trying to do...;) The company isn't selling anything to anybody in the 3d-gaming community as of yet and as such is guilty of ripping off exactly and precisely NO consumer anywhere on the face of planet Earth.

IL is nothing but one of hundreds, if not thousands, of technology start-ups around the world which are funded by private investment prior to shipping a product, whatever that product may be. Here's the way it works: a company is formed around the core of an idea or concept, the company is pitched to investors on the strength of that idea, and investors decide whether or not the idea and the company deserve their investment. Some investments turn out to be winners, others turn out to be losers. End of Story. Nothing bizarre or out of the ordinary at all about it. It happens every day all around the world.

Look, telling me that because I point out these basic facts I am displaying a "bias" against [H], and nothing else, is absolutely no argument at all against the statements I've made.

You tell me: out of the hundreds-to-thousands of such technology startups around the world, what is *different* about the operation of IL to date that deserves the focused attention of [H]? I cannot think of a single, solitary thing. Sorry. For me, the relationship between a technology startup and its investors is between *them,* and is none of my business or affair. Indeed, just how "pleased" do you imagine IL's investors to date have been over the negative publicity [H] has sought to generate about the company they have invested in, negative publicity generated even before the company can get a product out of the door? How do you figure [H]'s rash, ill-conceived commentary about the company they've invested in has helped them in the slightest?

I'm not on "anybody's side," here, believe it or not. In fact, I go to pains to remain aloof and objective, and to offer mere personal opinions based on what I really and truly think. I can't see how that puts me in need of repentence, sorry...;) As well, my position has been consistent from the very first time I posted an opinion on the subject months ago. I'll restate those opinions briefly:

*The relationship between IL and its investors is between IL and its investors, and nobody else. IL's investors are grown adults with the capacity to make their own investment decisions (which is true for all investors, not just IL investors.)

*Taking 18-months plus to bring a product and service from scratch conception to retail marketability is absolutely not unusual or bizarre or strange in any way, shape, or form. (Examples of other companies who do the same and take far longer to ship their products abound profusely, and I've only scratched the surface in this thread in naming just a few of the more high-profile cases.) IE, anybody who would make a statement that he considers a year and half without a product "suspicious" simply lets me know that he doesn't have a clue.

*If you use a web site as a forum to, in so many words, call a company's principals crooks and cons, and you do that solely on the basis of rumor, scuttlebutt, and 3rd-party newspaper clippings, then, unless the company is guilty as charged and has more to hide than it wants revealed, there's a darn good chance the company will ask for a retraction or sue for libel or some combination thereof. Far from journalists being immune from libel suits because of the Constitutional right of free speech (which is a right reserved for all Americans, not just journalists), journalists themselves are the primary targets of libel suits when they are brought around the world. That is a fact.

Basically, I have always thought [H] was insane not to simply take down the article when asked by IL to do so, since [H] was indeed relying on 3rd-party rumor and innuendo to form the core of its opinions about IL and its principals. If [H] had actually done any investigative reporting on its own prior to writing the disputed article then [H] would have been able to independently *prove* its assertions, but such was not the case, and *we know that* by virtue of the fact that [H] has invited *anyone* who has any dirt on IL or its principals to send it in to [H]! (Just check out "whereisphantom.com," if you doubt it.) No such pleas would have to be made *in response to a libel suit* if [H] had had its ducks in a row from the beginning, and could prove its points from the beginning, that's sure and certain.

CBS News just recently admitted its mistake in publicizing forged documents as if they were real documents, even though CBS News could not then, or now, prove the documents it quoted ever actually existed. Now if CBS News can do it--and not consider that its "Constitutional rights to free speech" are abrogated by admitting it jumped the gun and acted hastily *without proof*, then what, pray tell, is so special or different about [H]?

Let me conclude with an example of what [H] might have done in response to IL's original request earlier this year that would have diffused the whole situation before it got started. [H] might've responded thusly on its front page:

Suppose [H said:
]

"IL has written us and asked us to take down the story we ran last year about the company. IL has indicated to us that they strongly disagree with some of our opinions and conclusions as stated in that story [link.] Well, we've decided in the interests of fairness that we will accede to IL's requests and take down the article, as it has been up for several months and we are satisfied that everyone who might have read it has already done so, and there is no particular value in our keeping it among our archives, as interest in the Phantom console is not what we would call exceptionally high among our readership at this point. Plus, we freely admit that most if not all of the information we used in that editorial opinion was gathered from third-party sources which we do not have the means or time to independently corrorborate or else disprove.

"So, we want to be fair to IL and assume that the company's intentions are good, and we do not wish to be accused of a negative bias towards the company as it is now operating in a critical phase of its pre-shipping product development. However, and IL freely admits this, the Phantom console today is still very much a "phantom," and has not yet shipped. In that both IL and [H] are in complete agreement.

"We wish IL the best of luck and look forward to the day when we can review their final product when it materializes, the Phantom console. Until then we are ready and willing to give this startup company the benefit of the doubt, because competing in the console market sphere against the likes of Sony and Microsoft cannot be a bed of roses, and the guys at IL certainly have their work cut out for them. In that, we wish them luck as we believe they will need it.

"Stay tuned to [H] for further developments from IL and its Phantom console as they materialize!"

IMO, that's they way I'd have handled the situation, and I think it would have sufficed to diffuse the situation before it reached its present fever pitch. IE, a "stitch in time saves nine," an "ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure," etc.

New news:

Infinium Labs today announced a list of 22 publishers and developers slated to provide games for the Phantom Game Service. The list tops out with some big names: Eidos, Atari, and VU Games. Others committed, according to Infinium, are 21-6 Productions, BraveTree, Chronic Logic, Codemasters, Dreamcatcher Interactive, eGames, Enlight Interactive, Framework Studios, GamerBlitz, Gameware Development, GarageGames, Global Software Publishing, Interplay, Kuma Reality Games, Legacy Interactive, Max Gaming, O-3 Entertainment, Riverdeep, and Skunk Studios.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/22/news_6108070.html

Back