Peter Hofstee (IBM) talk on Cell

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by BlueTsunami, Feb 23, 2006.

1. BlueTsunami

BlueTsunami I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
    Veteran

Grabbed this from GAF (thanks to antipode for the info). Appearently Peter Hofstee is talking (I believe) at that London Development Conference (the one at the pub?)

I apologize how scatterd the points are. The information seems to be coming from somone whos is currently at the conference and is relaying the info back in the form of quick points.

EDIT: I just asked I was told this is NOT the London based conference. This is a seperate event.

The orginal topic creator answered back with this

Update:

#1 BlueTsunami, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
    Titanio likes this.
  2. Mmmkay

Regular

Did sound a little coherent for someone giving a speech in a pub at 1:30am ;)

3. BlueTsunami

Veteran

:lol:

Very true. I like how he seems to be bewildered by all the applications that are being brought up or are in development for Cell.

4. Megadrive1988

Veteran

very interesting

5. Mythos

Regular

Since its cell related....

Some excerpts...

Octopiler seeks to arm Cell programmers

Programmers grappling with the Cell chip--the processor behind the Playstation 3 and some high-definition TVs--can get a helping hand from IBM's new project: the Octopiler.

It isn't easy to write code for Cell, with its central processing core and eight accompanying special-purpose engines. Octopiler, which IBM Research plans to outline at a tutorial next month, aims to change all that. The software development tool converts a single, human-written program into several different programs that run simultaneously on Cell's various cores.

A compiler such as Octopiler is a development tool that translates a programmer's source code into machine language the chip can understand. The name Octopiler refers to the ability to control how software uses Cell's eight special-purpose engines.

Octopiler has more work to do than most compilers. For one thing, it must create instructions in a different language for the eight SPEs than for the PowerPC core. For another, it must divvy up software among the nine cores and govern how those programs communicate and share memory.

'And it has to scrutinize source code for the specific "single instruction, multiple data" tasks that SPEs can perform. Those tasks economize chip operations by performing the same operation on multiple data elements in one fell swoop.

source: cnet.com

6. BlueTsunami

Veteran

An update from antipode

7. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

Can't two Cell chips utilize the FlexIO to communicate with each other in a 'glueless' environment? In fact, I thought that this was a 'limitation' of the current Cell iterations, where large glueless environments would be the natural direction implied by the original patent.

But certainly a plus for SMP systems.

I mean, if there's more to the FlexIO than that in terms of what he's implying though, I'm certainly interested.

8. ROG27

Regular

I think the mystery to flexio is how it will work with a bi-directional DMA management. I fully expect their to be DMA management logic on the RSX...just as their is on CELL.

9. BlueTsunami

Veteran

I don't know the history of FlexIO but was FlexIO brought about for Cell/RSX interaction? or Cell/Cell interaction? Also Is FexIO actually being put into these Blade Servers or is it a form of FlexIO (just what is needed).

I find it cool though that FlexIO is being utilized beyond the PS3 in that manner.

10. Carl B

Carl B Friends call me xbd
    Moderator Legend

FlexIO is an inherent part of Cell's useage of XDR - or the other way around - but either way the point is that it's a Rambus technology. Now, it's hard to say how much the development of Cell effected the development of FlexIO, but I rather think that Cell was built with FlexIO in mind rather than believing Rambus did anything to tweak it themselves for STI's purposes.

The Cell blades will (should) have a full FlexIO.

#10 Carl B, Feb 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2006
  11. mckmas8808

Legend

Well that sounds a little bit too good to be true. Can it actually be that good? Developers please chime in.

Thanks.

12. BlueTsunami

Veteran

Thanks for the explanation XB!

13. MfA

MfA
    Legend

From the IBM website on the octopiler (gotta love the programmer art) :
    Makes it all a little more realistic.

14. mckmas8808

Legend

So I'm guessing people like DeanoC and other PS3 devs will be using this "Octopiler" compiler?

15. NANOTEC

Banned

Hehe..cute..reminds me of those cute cartoons that accompany the warning/caution/safety section of instruction manuals for Japanese electronic products.

16. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

I'd say trusting a compiler to split up your code and toss it on different SPEs is asking for trouble. It also sounds like something thats quite a ways from being in a usuable form.

Sounds like a research project and nothing more...

It's by IBM anyways -- Sony isn't even using IBM's normal cell compiler, are they? I vaguely remember Sony going with something else (much to the chagrin of some).

17. Titanio

Legend

They're not using IBM's XLC, if that's what you mean.

And yes, Octopiler is an experimental compiler AFAIK.

18. Sct I/On

Newcomer

Sony owns SN Systems these days and they are AFAIK creating PS3 specific SNC compiler for ProDG Tools bunch, dunno though if such compiler already exists in some sort of alpha form..

http://www.snsys.com/