Pes 2008

I'd be surprised if the PS3 isn't the lead version to be honest as the producer is quite the Playstation supporter and has already made it perfectly clear the PS3 version is going to be better than every other version.

I'd be surprised if the PS3 isn't the lead version to be honest as the producer is quite the Playstation supporter and has already made it perfectly clear the PS3 version is going to be better than every other version.
I'd be surprise PS2 isn't the lead version considering the fan base on it.

I don't know if stores were supposed to be selling the Wii version yet, but I bought it. It looks like regular PS2 PES, but playing is definitely a lot different. I thought I was awesome because I scored three really cool goals, in the first half of my first game, but then I got owned. Defense is pretty difficult.

that's cool that the wii version is good, because they sure coasted on the ps3 and 360 versions...

My description of this game is soccer meets RTS with RPG elements. When you play Champions Road mode, your characters gain experience and as they gain experience you can give them special skills. Like, if you want your character to be extra good at set pieces, center field play or whatever. I haven't seen many of the skills because I'm very early. As you beat teams you can pick up new players through kind of a card lottery.

Champions road is sort of a career mode. You enter your team into different tournaments. Each one is harder than the last, and you complete specialized training occassionaly that will assign goals for you to achieve as you play your games. Examples at the beginning in the practice league are: complete 20 short passes, complete 3 cross passes of at least 30', complete 10 long passes, pull dribble 100'. I'm assuming later some will be set pieces and whatnot. When you complete those objectives you get bonuses for your team, like being able to pick up 2-star players rather than 1-star players at the start, or picking up 2 players after a match rather than 1.

I've only finished the first tournament, so I haven't seen how far these ideas get expanded on.

If you have Connect24 turned on, you can play against your friends Champions Road teams to see how you match up. You can also put your characters onto your wii remote and bring them to your friends place or something like that. I've unlocked Mii play in match mode, which I haven't tried. There's a whole number of online modes I haven't look at as well.

I'm really impressed with this game. Playing defence is a little weird, but I'm getting used to it. Offensive controls are fantastic. It is different than other soccer games though. It doesn't seem to focus on the man to man play, and you really have the feeling of overall team control. So it's like a strategy game or RTS. I wish you had a little more input on your shots, because it's more determined by player stats like an RPG.

Oh yeah, the graphics are pretty much ass.

What about coop? To me PES/FIFA is all about about getting together round someone's house and shouting at each other for being useless. PES Wii looked clever and a great take on the football game, but I couldn't see it working too well with coop. Maybe 2 player wouldn't be so bad, but 3 and 4 would be too many directors controlling the team. Or does it work out nicely?

What about coop? To me PES/FIFA is all about about getting together round someone's house and shouting at each other for being useless. PES Wii looked clever and a great take on the football game, but I couldn't see it working too well with coop. Maybe 2 player wouldn't be so bad, but 3 and 4 would be too many directors controlling the team. Or does it work out nicely?

I just took a look and it lacks any kind of co-op - not local or online. That sucks ass. I'd just kind of assumed you'd be able to do it. Me and my brother always play these games. That's a huge mistake in my opinion. You've got 2 player vs and that's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd seen 2 player and assumed it was coop. You're right - the key point to this games IMO is the best cooperative gameplay of any genre out there. Everyone's involved at the same time working to the same goal. This could be a great little solo footy game but the absence cooperative play loses PES's charm and ironically goes against the idea of social gaming, something football has spearheaded!

I'd seen 2 player and assumed it was coop. You're right - the key point to this games IMO is the best cooperative gameplay of any genre out there. Everyone's involved at the same time working to the same goal. This could be a great little solo footy game but the absence cooperative play loses PES's charm and ironically goes against the idea of social gaming, something football has spearheaded!

And from playing the game quite a bit yesterday, I think it would work fairly well, so I have no idea why they wouldn't have included it. Here's hoping for the 2009 edition. Still, if you into playing football as a single player experience, the champions road mode is pretty great. And the game was about $10 cheaper than the standard price. At least watch for a used copy.

Edit: Hopefully I'll get my 360 today and I get get my co-op sporting fix with NHL08.

Back