Per Pixel Specular

Deano Calver

Newcomer
I noticed Chris Egerter talking about per-pixel specular and I thought I mention an article for ShaderX2 thats been done by a friend of mine.

Matt Halpin (formally of Creature Labs and now of Frontier Studios) has several techniques for per-pixel specular on basic pixel shaders. I'll quickly surmise them here but his article makes a lot more sense.

The first is that he uses dependent lookups for (almost) arbirtary exponent on ps_1_1 devices. Basically you pick 4 exponents that represent the range of exponents (e.g. 0, 20, 40, 60) you want and then use a dp4 to blend between them (4 basis functions provide the blending factors). In other words you SIMD process (N dot L)^p for 4 different values of p (doing 4 fixed exponent lookups) and use the stored (per texel) exponent to interpolate between the 4 (N dot L)^p values.

The other takes that technique and merges with the cubemap, so that instead of receiving a single exponent, you recieve the the 4 blend factors and then a dot product gives you arbitary exponent. Viola PS1_1 per-pixel specular with arbirary exponent with normalised half-angles in a single pass.

The key insight is that 4 samples on the descretised set of exponent curves provides enough infomation for interpolation to work well.

Trust me it makes alot more sense in Matt's article.

Back