Meanwhile, if users can get hold
of Intel’s D 805 chip, they will quickly
discover that it can be overclocked to
an extreme at 4.1 GHz and will outperform almost
anything else on the market. The D 805 sells for less
than $150.

Is this true?

Lol, PC Magazine.

First, this proves that people doing magazines should NOT write about technology. They're out of date by the time they're published!

Anyway: The 805 will probably not hit 4.1Ghz on air, it'll most likely hit 3.5Ghz~ on air.

Secondly, you can get one for about $105 right now.

Thirdly, even at 4.1Ghz it does not out perform a lot of the higher end cores. Especially when it comes to gaming.

It's still a GREAT deal though. It'd be great to pick it up and a Core 2 motherboard, so you have a great upgrade path on the cheap.

the chip may be a great cheap OC'er but you cannot skimp on the memory if you actually plan on trying to do that, so for a "cheap" option that might negate it. DDR2 800 and 1000 still costs a pretty penny.

SugarCoat said:
the chip may be a great cheap OC'er but you cannot skimp on the memory if you actually plan on trying to do that, so for a "cheap" option that might negate it. DDR2 800 and 1000 still costs a pretty penny.

Not really. Sure you're going to need DDR2 800 if you want to hit that 4.1Ghz. But some 667 is fairly cheap these days and should easily net you 3.5Ghz.

Pentium 805 is slow FSB (533), it needs DDR PC2100 at stock speed :D
on FSB 800, which needs PC3200, it would be at 4GHz.

so I don't think you should worry too much about RAM or mobo.

Yes, all of the Pentium D's use DDR2.

You're going to want at least DDR2 667 and a decent (you can pick up a $100 NForce 4 based mobo for PD's for $100 that's great) mobo in order to reach a good OC with it.

Skrying said:
Yes, all of the Pentium D's use DDR2.

You're going to want at least DDR2 667 and a decent (you can pick up a $100 NForce 4 based mobo for PD's for $100 that's great) mobo in order to reach a good OC with it.

There's a motherboard from ASRock that allows the use of either DDR or DDR-2 (both in dual-channel 128bit) with any Pentium 4 or Pentium D (LGA775).
Of course, you get what you pay for.

Last edited by a moderator:
mito said:
If we have google, why do we need forums then? ;)
I was just pointing out that you could get the answer to your question via google very quickly.

INKster said:
There's a motherboard from ASRock that allows the use of either DDR or DDR-2 (both in dual-channel 128bit) with any Pentium 4 or Pentium D (LGA775).
Of course, you get what you pay for.

That board also allows AGP or PCIe (I think the PCIe is limited to 4x or 8x though).

I posted about it not to long ago, just forgot about. Anandtech had it in a round up and it did pretty good actually and got a 6300 Core 2 up to 2.7Ghz or something around there. Not to bad of a board from the sound of it.

Hmm, I think I may be upgrading soon!

mito said:
Is this true?

No. That CPU get's it's ass handed to it by AMD X2s and even more so by Core 2 Duos.

BRiT said:
No. That CPU get's it's ass handed to it by AMD X2s and even more so by Core 2 Duos.
Ass handed to it is a strong statement, I think more like just beats it but considering its price and overclocking potential it's hard to argue that's it's not a decent chip.

ANova said:
Ass handed to it is a strong statement, I think more like just beats it but considering its price and overclocking potential it's hard to argue that's it's not a decent chip.
i re-read BRiT's comment a couple times, too, before I realized he meant that Dvorak's statement, "will outperform almost anything else on the market" was a bald-faced err, mistake. :rolleyes: a PD805 @ 4 GHz would hold its own in plenty of situations but it should be expected that a ($50 more) AX2 3800 could, overclocked, blow a PD out of the water.

ANova said:

In light of Dvorak's statement "will outperform almost anything else on the market", it's aptly fitting, especially when it takes a lot of extreme measures to hit the speeds he's talking about. Given those same extreme measures and an X2 or Core 2 Duo, that Pentium D looks rather anemic.

BRiT said:
In light of Dvorak's statement "will outperform almost anything else on the market", it's aptly fitting, especially when it takes a lot of extreme measures to hit the speeds he's talking about. Given those same extreme measures and an X2 or Core 2 Duo, that Pentium D looks rather anemic.
I wouldn't even mention an X2 given how the core duo 2 makes it look quite "anemic", much more so then athlon64s va pentium d's ;)

BRiT said:
Except that most X2s hit the wall at 3.0GHz. A PD at 3.6+ GHz has very decent performance matching that of an X2 in certain applications. Of course the PD draws a decent amount more power as well but that's another story.

ANova said:
Except that most X2s hit the wall at 3.0GHz. A PD at 3.6+ GHz has very decent performance matching that of an X2 in certain applications. Of course the PD draws a decent amount more power as well but that's another story.

And most 805s hit a wall at 3.5Ghz. And no way that a 3.6GHz PD is going to match a 3Ghz X2 in any application but those with Intel stamps all over them.

Skrying said:
And most 805s hit a wall at 3.5Ghz. And no way that a 3.6GHz PD is going to match a 3Ghz X2 in any application but those with Intel stamps all over them.

Exactly as what Skrying said. If one has the means to take a PD beyond 3.6Ghz, they have the means to take an X2 beyond 3Ghz. There simply is no way a PD would ever best an X2 in performance given the same level of effort. If one is going to overclock a PD, then they are going to overclock an X2.

Of course the Core 2 Duo takes it all and makes the X2 look anemic which already makes the PD look anemic.

Back