PC vendors?

Clashman

Regular
Well, recent taffs with my ancient, Athlon 800 desktop have convinced me that maybe it's finally time to get off my butt and get a new PC. I'm thinking about building it myself, but the fact of the matter is that I'm lazy and I like the convenience of a cover-all warranty. It's been difficult for me to track down a good vendor to make one, though, in the limited time I've been searching. It seems that since I bought this one there's been a lot of little guys getting pushed out, and my choices either seem to be an HP-like device filled with bloatware, junk, and a lack of physical software cds and upgrade options, or pay through the nose for an alienware or something similar that costs an arm and a leg. Is there a middle ground anymore? Something that offers decent support and options which doesn't charge an uber-high premium? I don't need a whole lot, but I'd prefer to find someone who does sff's as well. Any suggestions?

dell's would be perfect for you. They do have quite a bit of bloatware within it, but a few minutes here and there and youll get most of them out. Plus, they are really good pc's.

epic

Clashman said:
Yeah, but I don't like how Dell locks you into intel-only choices. I want my AMD, dagnabit.
I think HP is the only big-brand label that sells AMD these days.

eMachines does, but they're not really a big-brand label.

Truth be told, however, all of the warranty stuff is handled by the same contract technicians locally. Or so my IT guy said.

I have to agree with Epic, Dell really is great. While they come with bloat as delivered, just do a format and then reinstall windows and you're up and running again if you don't want to fiddle with the add/remove programs thingy a lot (which probably won't get rid of all the stuff they pre-load onto their systems anyway). The quality of dell hardware is top notch, very well built and constructed.

While it may be annoying you can't get AMD thru dell, I really can't complain about the performance of my P4 system. It runs really great.

The web based company I work at switched to IBM from Dell and I've heard rumblings that IBM is going to be offering AMD workstations.

ShhHHhhhh

Unless this is already known...than....I don't know :LOL:

Dell makes nice HW. Quiet and easy to work with (at least the ones I've seen in person). But they don't seem to know how to build a PSU. I've never had any problems with a PSU except for my DELL box at work. And from that batch of computers (~20) the PSU died in every single one within 18 months!

Yikes, that sounds scary.

Has anyone ever had any experience with http://ibuypower.com ?

For 1115 I can get this:
Athlon X2 3800
1 GB Ram
Nvidia 6600GT
160 GB HD with 8 mb Cache
5 point speakers
Pioneer DVD Burner
Wireless keyboard and mouse

Which to me sounds like a pretty good deal. Whatcha all think?

Forget that, I didn't realize there was a second page to the configurator. That brought the price up to around 1400.

i was looking around the mfg site recently. looks like you can't get agp rigs anymore through them? ibuypower has a fun configurator, so i go there and goof around some. i went to a few others as well, didn't notice any agp rigs.

Back