PC to Console Gamer?

Lol, it seems this ones just never going to die no matter how often I post about it!:LOL: ;)

EDIT: How I play PC games (some anyway)

Nice, but you're one in a million. Most people won't spend the time and money to hook a gaming capable HTPC up to their AV-setup.

Cheers

Nice, but you're one in a million. Most people won't spend the time and money to hook a gaming capable HTPC up to their AV-setup.

Cheers

I agree, I just wanted to make to the point that its not a lack of capability in the PC, just a user choice.

p.s. its not a HTPC, its just a regular PC in the corner of my lounge connected to the TV with a big ass D-Sub ;)

Here's how I play my PC games on a Friday night (some of them anyway):

PJB_PC_Couch.jpg

I think a lot of people's perspective is from their current PC. eg. I have a mini-tower on the floor, about 5 wires from it. To move that into the living room to play comfy games, and then back to the study for work, isn't the most convenient solution. If I have to buy a new PC to do the job, I get more bang for the buck from consoles.

Agreed on the convenience, its a big change and one thats not worth it to many. I don't think it really requires any new hardware though, just some space for a desk in the lounge and an s-video or other cable to connect to the TV. I spend so much time on the net and playing music on my PC that I want it in the lounge anyway so the gaming is just a bonus in my case.

And Gubbi's point on social gaming is also a huge thing I overlooked.

I did list it as a console advantage in post #25. Its the main reason I own a 360 ;)

I'm actually quite surprised at how well my current PC has aged. It's about as old as X360, and it's got 7800 GT in it (which was released even before the 360, probably making it an equivalent of Geforce 3 in Xbox era), and it can still run the newest games at about the same level (performance and visuals) with X360 games (Oblivion, UT3, BioShock, Lost Planet), or even better in some games (C&C 3, HL2:Episode 2). I haven't upgraded my PC since then (as I kind of stopped gaming the whole 2006, and just recently started to play games again). So much for upgrading once in a month to keep up with consoles.

I think what most people forget when comparing performance between PC and Xbox 360 is that, you have to run your game at 720p instead of the uber resolutions such as 1920*1080, or 2560*1600. People are complaining that their 2-year-old PC can't run games at their native monitor's resolutions as well as Xbox 360 at 720p. Well, duh! Obviously you can't expect your old PC to run games smoothly at those resolutions (I would love to though), but it's not really an apple-to-apple comparison. Obviously an old PC would run games worse than Xbox 360 at resolutions that are pushing about twice or thrice as many pixels as 720p...

I think what most people forget when comparing performance between PC and Xbox 360 is that, you have to run your game at 720p instead of the uber resolutions such as 1920*1080, or 2560*1600. People are complaining that their 2-year-old PC can't run games at their native monitor's resolutions as well as Xbox 360 at 720p. Well, duh! Obviously you can't expect your old PC to run games smoothly at those resolutions (I would love to though), but it's not really an apple-to-apple comparison.

err...

So what you think I can run Crysis on a P4, 7600GT based rig just by lowering the resolution to something like 800x600..? :???:

In case you didn't notice, most (being the vast majority of) PC gamers don't even have monitors that do upto 2560x1600.. :rolleyes:

Obviously an old PC would run games worse than Xbox 360 at resolutions that are pushing about twice or thrice as many pixels as 720p...

An old PC will run games (comparable in hardware demand to 360 titles) with even equal to or lower resolutions than 720p, worse than the 360 itself.. & what's even worse is that alot of new PCs wouldn't either (i.e. mid-low end, integrated graphics jobs etc..)

err...

So what you think I can run Crysis on a P4, 7600GT based rig just by lowering the resolution to something like 800x600..? :???:

Depends on the game but a dual core P4 at 3.2GHz and a 7600GT 512MB runs it at 800*600 medium graphics at ~30fps.

In case you didn't notice, most (being the vast majority of) PC gamers don't even have monitors that do upto 2560x1600.. :roll

Err...
Doesn't mather since the hardware still can render at those resolutions if they buy a monitor that can do that resolution. Otherwise it will just mean more framerate at 1920*1200 resolution. ;)

It is quite obvious and interesting how a medium end PC can outdo what consoles are doing right now and then some...

Err...
Doesn't mather since the hardware still can render at those resolutions if they buy a monitor that can do that resolution. Otherwise it will just mean more framerate at 1920*1200 resolution. ;)

It is quite obvious and interesting how a medium end PC can outdo what consoles are doing right now and then some...

I guess it depends what you define by "mid-range" PC as I wouldn't particularly class a dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.2 GHz as "mid-range" TBH.. :p

I guess it depends what you define by "mid-range" PC as I wouldn't particularly class a dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.2 GHz as "mid-range" TBH.. :p

Obviously what is at the mid of the perfomance scale and price scale for PC's! :p

But a dual-core Core 2 Duo 3.2 GHz would belong to the high-end section.

I myself am pleased how my dual-core Opteron at 2.6GHz and my 7900GT does all games better at higher resolution with more features enabled. My PC feels kinda low/med-end with all this hardware out now for PC though...:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
An old PC will run games (comparable in hardware demand to 360 titles) with even equal to or lower resolutions than 720p, worse than the 360 itself.. & what's even worse is that alot of new PCs wouldn't either (i.e. mid-low end, integrated graphics jobs etc..)

My PC is old, even older than Xbox 360, but it still runs games at the same level with the XBox 360. It was obviously a high end PC when I bought it two years ago. The point is, I hadn't upgraded my PC in two years, and it still keeps up pretty well with X360. Again, so much for the myth of needing to upgrade your PC every month to keep up with consoles. A 8800 GTX would still blow my 7800 GT out of the water though.

Ha ha, I wouldn't actually call my PC a medium-end PC back then when it came out. It was actually quite high-end. Nowadays though, I think my rig is actually closer to the lower tier of GAMING PC instead of mid-end.

Back