[PC] L.A. Noire

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Dresden, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Plenty of reason at higher resolutions. I like that even when there's feature parity, the Dx11 path is included to run faster. Considering I game on a 30" monitor that's pretty nice. I'd imagine it's a boone to multi-monitor gaming as well.

For lower resolutions, I'd guess the Dx11 speed increases probably aren't as noteworthy.

I agree though that not many are attempting to push the graphics envelope with Dx11. Then again, with most companies focusing on console developement with ports to PC, I'm not sure what we can expect until the next gen of consoles.

Regards,
    SB

2. Svensk Viking

Regular

I'd say Civilization V was good in DX11

I wonder why for example The Witcher 2 didn't use DX11 though...It was a big PC exclusive and had DX10 cards as the minimum requirement, why only go for DX9? Because of Windows XP?

3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The Witcher 2 was planned for a console release all along. They just never announced it until the X360 port was closer to completion. Still, being PC first, it would have been nice to see them work with Dx11. Perhaps when they started developement Dx11 was still on the horizon and thus they just went with tech that was easily available at the time rather than take a gamble.

Regards,
    SB

4. suryad

Veteran

This.

I think we will see a whole raft of DX 11 or higher games once the industry sees the next gen Xbox specs get finalized. On and on another note I can't wait for the Witcher 2 April update!!!

5. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

It'll be nice to see the mainstream adopt a new DirectX version, but I imagine that version will be with us for a very long time unless the game industry gets turned upside down somehow (tablets?)

On the other hand, it looks like early DirectX 10/11 hardware maybe wasn't fast enough to be worthwhile to go out of the way for anyway. Not enough capability to make a really tangible difference, regardless of hype. We seem to blow most of our speed compared to consoles on higher resolutions and developers fighting inefficient APIs and quirky drivers.

6. I.S.T.

Veteran

DX9 has inertia behind it. There are a ton of people well versed in how it works, and most already created engines use it. Not many people are going to buy an Unreal 3 license and DX11 it like crazy.

7. swaaye

Legend

Yeah of course. Inertia from the hulking mass of the majority of popular gaming hardware having been DirectX 9c since 2006.

BTW, UE3 does have a D3D10 renderer available for it AFAIK. I imagine UE4 will show up suddenly once the new consoles come along though.

8. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Speaking of which, isn't Epic set to announce UE 4 sometime this year? If that happens we may start to see some more pickup of it among the studios not known for pushing the envelope.

Regards,
    SB

9. I.S.T.

Veteran

Yes, it does have a DX10 renderer. It was used in one game as far as I know, the port of Gears of War 1. The funny part is Epic didn't do that port.

And they wonder why PC sales went down the shitter.

10. Davros

Legend

how would you enable that I cant find any d3d10.drv or similar in any of the gears folders

11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

In Gears 1 I think it automatically does DX10 or maybe there's a setting for it. It is one of the few (only?) UE3 games that has MSAA support.

12. swaaye

Legend

13. kyleb

Veteran

Its in the graphics options.