[PC] L.A. Noire

Dresden

Celebrating Mediocrity
Veteran
Picked this up from Steam, last night. Couldn't get the bastard running, though, but I read a fix. Apparently, the game gets all screwy at the main menu without running it as an admin, which was the issue I encountered. I was looking forward to the PC release of this, hopefully I'll get it running, tonight. The release took me totally by surprise, in fact I forgot it was coming out. Has anyone else played it yet?

My significant other has. She playtested it before we moved to Germany. She's really been looking forward to giving the finished game a go.

I might check it out, but it looks like a trained monkey wrote the system reqs. 8600GT to 580GTX is the required video card. I feel like they left out some important information here, like what GPU would actually provide a good experience but not cost $500.

Also CPU says "Core 2.2 GHz to Quad Core 3.2GHz".

If it they haven't done any optimization since GTA4 then I'll stay far, far away.

Dresden how does it run? I know you have a monster rig so if it struggles at all on your comp I know it'll be rough on my old E6750.

I tested it on my overclocked "Core 2 Duo" with 2mb of l2 and it runs quite well, on Windows XP.
certainly it's not as heavy as GTA4,
but I only played for a few minutes,

this game doesn't use "Euphoria" right?

Game maxed at ~534 players on Steam today. Extremely sad for a new release. Why on earth would they release the same day as MW3.

Dresden how does it run? I know you have a monster rig so if it struggles at all on your comp I know it'll be rough on my old E6750.

It runs well. It uses FXAA and SSAO, different features from the GTA series. Also, AF only goes up to 4.

Here's my biggest issue: The frame rate is capped a 30 FPS, which is terrible.

Well for my rig a 30fps cap is much appreciated. I hate wild fluctuations all over the place. But on your rig I can see why that would be upsetting.

Which reminds me, do you know of an FPS cap command in BF3?

Don't think there is one, but you could always try FPSLimiter. You could also give it a go with Vsync as triple buffering is enabled by default. Open up the console and type render, some hint text will pop up underneath to help you finish the command.

FPSLimiter only works for DX9 last time I checked. But that was a while ago so maybe it's been updated.

Vsync adds a bit of mouse lag and still doesn't solve the problem. It's not a huge deal but when I asked Humus for such a command in Just Cause 2 he delivered. Repi where art thou?

Lol I left off a part of that. I meant to say that BF3 doesn't have such a command before invoking the power of Repi.

I was looking to get a copy of LA Noire for the PC but you guys are not making it sound very appealing :(

Just read a review of the PC version from bit-tech and seems like its a no buy unless Rockstar decides to issue bug fixes and patches.

Got it at retail today. After installation, the first time I ran it I got a "Error loading d3dx11_43.dll" message. DirectX is out-of-date on my computer, I figured. Installed the latest version and the game launches. It found a new patch. After ten minutes or so I got a message that there was something wrong with running the executable. I exited from the game and tried again. This time the patching process seemed to have succeeded. The game asked for a restart. I clicked okay and...nothing but desktop.

I tried launching the game again. After the splash screen the game just crashes back onto the desktop. Run as administrator--the same thing. A couple hours of googling and fiddling with drivers later, I stumbled onto this link:

http://support.rockstargames.com/en...-a-patch-fails-to-install-in-l-a-noire-for-pc

Running the patch executable as an administrator apparently fixed the problem. :D

I'm using Windows 7 and I'm guessing the issue stems from the game trying to patch itself inside the game instead of doing it in the launcher: UAC confirmations aren't getting through.

My rig is decidedly mid-range: i5 and GTS 250. At 1600x900 it runs okay--without any AA though. I don't think I'll bother tweaking it, since the graphics seem sort of dated anyway. The draw here is really the top-notch voice-over and face animation. The hype in this regard, I would say, lives up to my expectation.

The level of sloppiness is stunning though. I mean, Take2 is the biggest player in town. Don't they have a QA department that catches technical glitches before their products go out the door? The feeling that I get is that they don't give a crap about the PC market.

Don't they have a QA department that catches technical glitches before their products go out the door?

Ive thought that about so many devs, id, Avalanche Studios, almost all devs published by e.a, raven(singularity had worse texture popin than rage despite using unreal engine 3)

Joystiq reports there's now a DX11 update for this game. DX9 or DX11 renderers can apparantly be toggled through the game's launcher.

No word (that I know of) of what exactly the differences are is mentioned in the short blurb on the site, but I guess there must be something over at Rockstar at least... The Steam update notice states this:

"DirectX 11 support added for improved performance on many Windows Vista and Windows 7 setups using DX11 graphics cards"

...which isn't very descriptive. Maybe just a performance fix then rather than an image quality bump? *shrug*

Is it just me or does DX11 still not seem to be getting all the loving that it should be getting? I am a video card upgrade fanatic but it seems to me other than Battlefield 3 and Crysis 2 and Batman AC there is no good reason to do DX 11?

Back