[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

And the previous GTAs were all exclusive to PS2, but that turned out to be console exclusivity for only a while and the PC and xbox got them too.

Anyone know if "Lost and the Damned" is coming to PC or is it Xbox exclusive DLC?

Hmm? I don't have GTA4 so I can't tell you how playable this is though. As for your question, considering how badly (going by NPD charts) it has sold on PC I wouldn't be suprised if they only released it along with DLC#2 as a retail expansion or something.

Okay, I installed my new GTX 285, changed everything to max (textures, everything) except view distance (set to 21) to keep inside the resources (what happened to Rockstar saying you needed 1.5 GB VRAM to have high textures?) and ran the benchmark a few times.

First time: 54.03 avg

Set the view distance to 41, the game allowed me to do this (I have all restrictions enabled) and benchmarked:

Second time: 47.74 avg

This is fine, I thought, but just to experiment, I reduced the view distance to 30

Third time: 46.99 avg

Well, lower performance? Interesting. Reduced the view distance back to 21, ran benchmark

Fourth time: 45.43 avg

Stupid memory leak. In disgust, I quit the game. I am going to email Rockstar support. I hope they are aware of this, but in case they are not, well, they'll be now.

I need a new patch!

Yeah the leak makes it slower. I can start with 80% traffic but need to take it down to 25-40% due to loss of framerate even in same spot by reloading and of course when the RAM is all used up it starts to HDD trash.

I sent an email to Rockstar. Let's see what they say; I'm not expecting much.

Are you monitoring your memory usage or just assuming it is the problem? I keep system monitor up on my secondary display at all times and never noticed any memory leak.

Are you monitoring your memory usage or just assuming it is the problem? I keep system monitor up on my secondary display at all times and never noticed any memory leak.
Yes, I am assuming it is a video memory leak, but as I said, I sent an email to Rockstar support with a DXdiag.txt and the four benchmark txts. Let's see what they say.

Yes, I am assuming it is a video memory leak, but as I said, I sent an email to Rockstar support with a DXdiag.txt and the four benchmark txts. Let's see what they say.
Forgot to say that the fact that the game starts popping in textures and objects really really close to me sooner the higher amount of VRAM I have enabled the game to use. I can run medium textures with everything else to max and after a little while, it's as if I have the noprecache commandline argument enabled.

Then it just... died. I think that once I got to know the gameworld that much better, I suddenly felt much less like I was in this sprawling metropolis with endless little places to explore and experience, and more like I was in this confined, limited little world constructed more or less for the purpose of conveying one single storyline and not much else. I mean, once you tear through X amount of streets and blow up X amount of cars or hotdog vendors or SWAT vans or whathaveyou, there's not much beyond it. I didn't (did not and still don't) get this feeling with SA, for whatever reason. Probably has to do with the diversity of the environments.

Same feeling i got from GTA4. It has pretty graphics and physics, but the rest is just a basic shell of a city, much like we have seen in the previous generation GTA's.

New update 1.0.3.0 today. The link they posted isn't updated as of this writing but the patch is live on GFWL.

I'm still in dialogue with Rockstar support. I'm still working to get through to them about my performance issues. Here's how I provoke it: run the benchmark 15 times or so without closing the game between each benchmark run. Run the benchmarks from in-game, one session. I see my average FPS drop by 10 FPS and the game turns all choppy and stuttering. If I play the game after running the benchmark, I get behaviour that looks an awful lot like if the -noprecache command line argument is specified, that is, objects and things disappear if I turn the camera away from it. I drove down to the park and set my car in the shadows of a tree, I roated the camera so that the tree was behind me and the shadows disappeared. I turned the camera back and the tree reappeared after a little while. Anyway, I lose 20% performance after about 20-30 minutes of play or 12-15 runs of the benchmark.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=403690 said:
Version 1.0.3.0
Today, in our continuing effort to support and enhance Grand Theft Auto IV on the PC, we are happy to announce Patch 1.0.3.0 is now available for download. Notable features include graphical optimization; greater user control over graphic settings, including a new "OFF" option for reflection and shadow quality; and the elimination of remapping restrictions for keyboard and mouse, allowing for user-custom control schemes.

To download the latest patch please follow the link:
http://www.rockstargames.com/support/IV/PC/patch/index.html

GRAPHICS:
Interior Lights for ATI 1900 series cards
- All light sources appear for users with 1900 series ATI cards. (ie. Pool Mini Game)
- ALT-TAB fixed

Graphics Settings
- Added menu option "OFF" for Reflection quality
- Added menu option "OFF" for Shadow quality

PERFORMANCE:
- Physics optimizations to improve situations with heavy physics calculations (ie. 32 player races)
- Graphical Performance Optimizations

MULTIPLAYER:
NAT Type detection
- Detect if user has a "strict" NAT and displays message for user

Voice chat is received even if your microphone is turned off

CONTROLS:
Keyboard/Mouse
- Remapping restrictions removed
- Allow Enter, Backspace, and Arrow keys to be remapped by user
- Allow multiple mouse buttons to be mapped

Enable/Disable DirectInput in Menu
- Users can now activate/deactivate Direct Input devices from "Controls" menu.
- If commandline "-usedirectinput" is active, it will override pause menu setting

Use 2 direct input devices simultaneously (ie. Wheel and Gamepad)
- Users can now use 2 different controllers at once, including 1 XInput and 1 Direct Input device

Added more Direct Input / XInput device support
- Saitek P380/P480/P580/P990
- Saitek PS1000/PS2700/P3200/P3600
- Gravis Eliminator Shock gamepad

SECURITY:
Detect modified files and prevent users from entering multiplayer if found
- Game will prompt with a message after blocking user with modified data files from entering multiplayer
- Should prevent multiplayer access from cell phone and GFWL join in progress

VIDEO EDITOR:
Scroll Bar improved response
- Tweaked to respond better to keyboard inputs

Sped up load times for users with many clips

TITLE UPDATE 2 FIXES:
Return of Hot Dog Stands and other props
- Missing hot dog vendors, fences, gates, pylons should be present throughout the world

Scrolling signboards
- Activate missing scrolling signboard text (ie. highway signs, Star Junction, Clock Tower Sign)

ALT-TAB pauses game during cutscenes
- Cutscenes should now pause and resume correctly after an ALT-TAB task switch. Audio remains in sync

GENERAL ADDITIONS/FIXES:
Mismatched MODO/Perseus Clothing
- Fixed a bug when Niko mixes clothing from Perseus and Modo

360 Controller Texture
- Controller image should be visible in Controller Configuration screen

[applauses]I see Rockstar adds stuff that the community tries to add/ask for. Respect. [/applauses]

[applauses]I see Rockstar adds stuff that the community tries to add/ask for. Respect. [/applauses]

Absolutely.

I have to admit, my initial negative reaction to this game now seems a little unjustified.

Ok, it still performs worse that you would expect for a console port but its one hell of a game, and Rockstar are certainly putting the effort in to please the PC community.

Good on them!

Can anyone else try what I mentioned above? Run 13 or 15 or whatever benchmark runs in succession without closing the game between each run. I lose about 20% from the first benchmark to the thirteenth or so.

Use the highest settings you can get away with without using any commandline arguments that remove restrictions.

My settings are: everything at absolute max except textures which are set to medium. Remember that texture filtering have a step above very high which is called highest. If the settings are playable or not is what this is about, it is the delta in average FPS between the first and the last runs.

Post your CPU, GPU, GPU driver and OS too.

i7 920@3.2 GHz, GTX 285, GeForce 182.08 WHQL, XP32SP3

Absolutely.

I have to admit, my initial negative reaction to this game now seems a little unjustified.

Ok, it still performs worse that you would expect for a console port but its one hell of a game, and Rockstar are certainly putting the effort in to please the PC community.

Good on them!

Is the bar for PC games that low? Except for the control stuff, everything in that list is a bug fix. 'Gosh, thank you Rockstar for fixing the broken stuff in the game we bought. You're cool folks.'

Though maybe you should be positive, they never fixed the texturing bug on the 360, as far as I can tell.

About the comments in earlier pages about performance increase being little next to nothing and arguments relating to clock frequency vs FSB bandwidth.

It crossed my head when watching some benchmarks on the i7 cores that the reason behind such small increases in performance on dual cores and quad cores with either higher clock or FSB is not (mainly) due to bad coding, but more likely inter-core bandwidth from the dual/quad cores (not the FSB) as the i7's have much higher inter-core bandwidth from what i could understand.

About the comments in earlier pages about performance increase being little next to nothing and arguments relating to clock frequency vs FSB bandwidth.

It crossed my head when watching some benchmarks on the i7 cores that the reason behind such small increases in performance on dual cores and quad cores with either higher clock or FSB is not (mainly) due to bad coding, but more likely inter-core bandwidth from the dual/quad cores (not the FSB) as the i7's have much higher inter-core bandwidth from what i could understand.

I don't get this part, higher clock increases perfomance linearly unless the GPU perfomance is the bottleneck as seen in all proper CPU benchmarks for GTAIV. Higher FSB should also improve perfomance (when exceding VRAM amount) AFAIK since when the VRAM is not enough the higher bandwidth will increase the write/read speed to RAM. Improving the speed of the VRAM<->RAM texture write/read operations.

Still i7 is faster (inter-core connection, cache, improved tech, etc?) but increased clock does improve perfomance as expected.

EDIT: I benched and checked recorded results in SS 2009 Professional regarding inter-conenction bandwidth and latency.

My CPU E8400 - 10.7GB/sec, 37ns

Ext QX6950 ----- 20.3GB/sec, 23ns (Core 2 extreme 3.3GHz QX6950 1333MHz FSB)

QX6950 ---------- 18GB/sec, 29ns (1333MHz FSB)

Q6600 ----------- 14.9GB/sec, 35ns

Phenom 9750 -- 3.4GB/sec, 137ns

Phenom 8750 -- 2.9GB/sec, 159ns

Core i7 920 ----- 33.8GB/sec, 17ns

Athlon FX60 ----- 2.9GB/sec, 95ns

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone else try what I mentioned above? Run 13 or 15 or whatever benchmark runs in succession without closing the game between each run. I lose about 20% from the first benchmark to the thirteenth or so.

Use the highest settings you can get away with without using any commandline arguments that remove restrictions.

My settings are: everything at absolute max except textures which are set to medium. Remember that texture filtering have a step above very high which is called highest. If the settings are playable or not is what this is about, it is the delta in average FPS between the first and the last runs.

Post your CPU, GPU, GPU driver and OS too.

i7 920@3.2 GHz, GTX 285, GeForce 182.08 WHQL, XP32SP3
Trying again. :)

Next time I get a spare weekend mate, that damn benchmark takes ages to load up after each run (unless you have a batch file that could be used?)

Back