[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

Yeah it didn't help at all. It must be a leak causing the game to use more and more RAM without limit.

The prefetch might be a cache of common objects and shared common textures/geometry etc.

Anyone played (or seen it played) GTA4 on an x1900? Since my 2900xt's are dead I've only got my old x1900 as an interim card. I've got GTA4 now but haven't had the time to install and/or play it, and won't for a little while yet. I'm running a Q6600 at 3.60ghz with 2gb ram, so I'm guessing that for the most part the videocard will be relatively free to chug it's little heart out (since it seems GTA4 is mostly CPU-dependant).

But any ideas the kind of performance I should expect? Really curious. I'll be sure to patch it to take care of the lighting and shadow issues on x1900 cards.

Anyone played (or seen it played) GTA4 on an x1900? Since my 2900xt's are dead I've only got my old x1900 as an interim card. I've got GTA4 now but haven't had the time to install and/or play it, and won't for a little while yet. I'm running a Q6600 at 3.60ghz with 2gb ram, so I'm guessing that for the most part the videocard will be relatively free to chug it's little heart out (since it seems GTA4 is mostly CPU-dependant).

But any ideas the kind of performance I should expect? Really curious. I'll be sure to patch it to take care of the lighting and shadow issues on x1900 cards.

I would be really interested to hear your results. In therory, it should handle the console settings just fine and since your not CPU limited, hopefully it will do just that.

My system does seem to be at least a bit GPU limited at the console settings but that could simply be the influence of my dual core CPU. And a GTS640 isn't massively more powerful than the X1900XTX.

pjbliverpool, what framerate do you tend to have in the game as general and with what settings?

Also what score does the benchmark give you?

As is now I get 42.5fps on benchmark test @ 1280x1024.

textures high
Render Quality highest
Draw Distance 50%
Detail Distance 80%
Car amount 40%
Extra dynamic lights 0

Apart from that I have 16xAF in CCC.

pjbliverpool, what framerate do you tend to have in the game as general and with what settings?

Also what score does the benchmark give you?

As is now I get 42.5fps on benchmark test @ 1280x1024.

textures high
Render Quality highest
Draw Distance 50%
Detail Distance 80%
Car amount 40%
Extra dynamic lights 0

Apart from that I have 16xAF in CCC.

These are my benchmark stats, everythings at stock:

Average FPS: 34.80
Duration: 36.93 sec
CPU Usage: 95%
System memory usage: 87%
Video memory usage: 79%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1360 x 768 (59 Hz)
Texture Quality: Medium
Render Quality: Low (but 16xAF in CP)
View Distance: 21
Detail Distance: 10
Vehicle Density: 20
Shadow Density: 0

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Digital Output Device (SPDIF) (High Definition Audio Device)
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz

In game at those settngs I probably toddle along at somwhere between 25 and 30fps most of the time.

Have you out of interest tried disabling sound?

Might be heavy on the CPU perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound uses CPU, but it isn't heavy on it by any stretch.

Anyway, here is my new rig:

Statistics
Average FPS: 62.58
Duration: 37.06 sec
CPU Usage: 37%
System memory usage: 46%
Video memory usage: 96%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1760 x 990 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Render Quality: Highest
View Distance: 32
Detail Distance: 70
Vehicle Density: 51
Shadow Density: 0

Hardware
Microsoft® Windows Vista" Home Premium
Service Pack 1
Video Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Video Driver version: 180.84
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB X-Fi)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz

Runs damn fine now without even overclocking, as does Crysis finally as well.

Oh wow, spent a good hour getting everything installed, and when I finally try to launch the game? Social Club just uninstalls itself, followed by the game claiming it can't find RGSC.exe... So I uninstalled the game, restarted, cleaned away all traces of GTA4 or RGSC, reinstalled everything, restarted. Same shit.

That's real nice. Will have another play with it tonight and see what I can do. This is a relatively fresh install of Windows too, bloat-free.

Oh wow, spent a good hour getting everything installed, and when I finally try to launch the game? Social Club just uninstalls itself, followed by the game claiming it can't find RGSC.exe... So I uninstalled the game, restarted, cleaned away all traces of GTA4 or RGSC, reinstalled everything, restarted. Same shit.

That's real nice. Will have another play with it tonight and see what I can do. This is a relatively fresh install of Windows too, bloat-free.

Dont uninstall the game. Just go into the folder on the first disc, RGSC and install RGSC from there.

Reinstalled once more and it just magically worked, so that's all good. Performance? Unplayable. Unplayable as in 15fps or less at all times. I'm running it at 1280x1024 with everything set to low ingame (textures, render quality, view distance, shadow density, all right down). Because I've read quite a bit about how some people see BETTER performance on HIGHER settings, I tried maxing everything out. 6fps or so at best.

So basically not worth even trying on this card, and at the kind of settings necessary to eek some degree of playability out of it, it's so unimaginably ugly I wouldn't want to bother anyway. Also, I've kept the vaseline filter off (P).

I'll fire this up again whence my 4870x2 shows up, or unless someone wants me to try something in the meantime...

Have you out of interest tried disabling sound?

Might be heavy on the CPU perhaps?

Even if it is though, its not practical to run without it. And the consoles handle the sound ok.

Don't get me wrong, its plenty playable, but its not smooth all of the time. Perhaps say 50% of the time, there is noticable frame dropping.

Sound uses CPU, but it isn't heavy on it by any stretch.

Anyway, here is my new rig:

Runs damn fine now without even overclocking, as does Crysis finally as well.

Lol, as soon as I saw those fps, I didn't even need to look at your specs, I knew you would be running an i7 :D

Reinstalled once more and it just magically worked, so that's all good. Performance? Unplayable. Unplayable as in 15fps or less at all times. I'm running it at 1280x1024 with everything set to low ingame (textures, render quality, view distance, shadow density, all right down). Because I've read quite a bit about how some people see BETTER performance on HIGHER settings, I tried maxing everything out. 6fps or so at best.

So basically not worth even trying on this card, and at the kind of settings necessary to eek some degree of playability out of it, it's so unimaginably ugly I wouldn't want to bother anyway. Also, I've kept the vaseline filter off (P).

I'll fire this up again whence my 4870x2 shows up, or unless someone wants me to try something in the meantime...

Wow, thats utterly insane!

If we needed more proof of what an unoptimised bag of shite this game is then look no further. Basically, without any CPU or memory bottleneck, an X1900XT (I assume its an XT?) can't run this game any where near as well as Xenos, or even RSX at much lower settings.

What a total load of rubbish. I guess its not only CPU limitations that this game suffers from then. if anything, a GPU limitation like that is even worse than what we are seeing on the CPU side of things.

Even if it is though, its not practical to run without it. And the consoles handle the sound ok.

Don't get me wrong, its plenty playable, but its not smooth all of the time. Perhaps say 50% of the time, there is noticable frame dropping.

Just thought if it was the drivers messing something up. I remember reading about sound drivers eating up CPU cycles for nothing, but that was other games. This game... needs to be optimised.

Just thought if it was the drivers messing something up. I remember reading about sound drivers eating up CPU cycles for nothing, but that was other games. This game... needs to be optimised.

I'll give it a try just in case but I've only ever had onboard HD audio installed on this system so I don't think there will be any problems with legacy drivers.

But 15fps at what res, 800x600?

1280x1024 (from his post ;))

Thats marginally higher than the consoles (although the 360 runs with 2x MSAA aswell) but not high enough to effect the framerate so drastically.

It does occur to me though, Sobek, your not running with AA/AF/vsync or some other performance sapping setting turned on in the control panel are you?

That framerate just doesn't seem right, i'm getting more than double that on a GTS640 at the same settings.

Back