[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

It's this bad metallic taste in my mouth when I hear the name 'Saints Emulation 2'. Cant explain it but it might be the xbox'ish graphics.

Anyone else getting more graphics corruption after installing 181.21 nvidia drivers?

Anyone else getting more graphics corruption after installing 181.21 nvidia drivers?

Yep I do. Its the same corruption I was getting on the older drivers when I had superfetch turned off. Its on now but with the new drivers I get corruption all over the place. Textures super low resolution or missing altogether, even whole sections of geometry going invisible so that I end up walking or driving in thin air.

I am going to install the 180.84 betas and I'll post my findings.

Yep I do. Its the same corruption I was getting on the older drivers when I had superfetch turned off. Its on now but with the new drivers I get corruption all over the place. Textures super low resolution or missing altogether, even whole sections of geometry going invisible so that I end up walking or driving in thin air.

This may not be directly relevant, but I was having missing/corrupted textures on a 4800 until I went into CCC and pushed the Mipmap level detail all the way over to "high quality". I assumed it was a driver issue, but maybe the game does something weird with mipmaps and Nvidia give you a way to crank them back up as does ATI?

I can only find a force mipmap setting in the nv control panel. The info on the item says it enables mipmaps for applications that do not support mipmaps, which is a strange sentence.

I am going to install the 180.84 betas and I'll post my findings.
Yup, the corruption is gone, but the game runs a bit slower. The corruption was really annoying though, flickering lights and other stupid stuff so I'm staying with these betas for a while.

how about the 181.20 ?

Its 181.20 that has the graphical issues.

That said, I played again last night and didn't come across any issues. Not sure if its something to do with were I went / how long I played, or the fact that I was changing texture settings while in game.

I'm gonna give the new drivers another chance for now. Any more corruption though and the're gone.

I'm waiting for new drivers or a patch from Rockstar before I go away from these 180.84 betas.

New 181.22 betas exhibit the same as 181.20 WHQL in GTA4: higher performance with visual artifacts.

The artifacts actualy went away for me, I think it might have been because tried to change the texture settings while in game.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that. I run the game from a batch file with the settings I want, but I'll try setting the texture setting to low/high and then back to medium while in game.

I gave in and finally bought it
downloaded the patch before hand to save time
installed the game first i had to install rockstar games social club crap
then the game took fookin ages to install
I get a message saying i need to create an games for windows account so i do that
it installs and i patch it.
finally run it "your social club isnt up to date" so i update it,
then i get a message saying i have to install games for windows live so i download and install that
then another fookin message "game only runs with service pack 3" and it refuses to run wtf had loads of trouble with it last time so theres no way im going to do that, so i search round for a fix, turns out you just need to change a registry value why all this crap about needing sp3 when it obviously doesnt?
so i run the game then have to authenticate it How many activations do i get ?
start the single player go to save the game and i get another message I have to be signed in with windows live or I cant save my progress again wtf...
So I try and do that cant because its not upto date so I quit update it.
run the game again get to the save point save the game sign in with windows live and finally get to save.

No wonder people pirate it

I gave in and finally bought it
downloaded the patch before hand to save time
installed the game first i had to install rockstar games social club crap
then the game took fookin ages to install
I get a message saying i need to create an games for windows account so i do that
it installs and i patch it.
finally run it "your social club isnt up to date" so i update it,
then i get a message saying i have to install games for windows live so i download and install that
then another fookin message "game only runs with service pack 3" and it refuses to run wtf had loads of trouble with it last time so theres no way im going to do that, so i search round for a fix, turns out you just need to change a registry value why all this crap about needing sp3 when it obviously doesnt?
so i run the game then have to authenticate it How many activations do i get ?
start the single player go to save the game and i get another message I have to be signed in with windows live or I cant save my progress again wtf...
So I try and do that cant because its not upto date so I quit update it.
run the game again get to the save point save the game sign in with windows live and finally get to save.

No wonder people pirate it

Yeah having to be signed in to Windows Live just to save is completely ridiculous, whichever moron came up with that bright idea should be fired.

I was having internet connection problems the other day and wanted to play some GTA4. I couldn't save the damn game to my own HDD because my internet wasn't working... WTF?

Just read on a forum that you can save offlne if you create an offline profile do you know how to do that ?

If your starting the game from fresh then your in luck....

http://www.rockstargames.com/suppor...ough for GTA IV - offline profile sign in.doc

My problem is i'm already half way through the game and I can't work out how to make my existing profile offline, or transfer my save games to a new offline profile.

Its not too big a deal for me though, that last time was a one off, I hadrly ever have internet connection problems so having to sign in doesn't effect me most of the time.

If your starting the game from fresh then your in luck....

http://www.rockstargames.com/suppor...ough for GTA IV - offline profile sign in.doc

My problem is i'm already half way through the game and I can't work out how to make my existing profile offline, or transfer my save games to a new offline profile.

Its not too big a deal for me though, that last time was a one off, I hadrly ever have internet connection problems so having to sign in doesn't effect me most of the time.

If you create a new offline profile and then move the saves to it?

Users\GrognakTheBarbarian\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\savegames\user_XXXXXX -----> new user_ID

What's wrong with SP3? Just get the full network install and press play.

The artifacts actualy went away for me, I think it might have been because tried to change the texture settings while in game.
This worked for me too. Thanks, buddy. :)

Edit: It looks like it may be back. I changed texture settings in game, restarted and they were gone. I played for a bit, then quit. Now when I ran the game again, the corruption seems to be back. Ugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back