[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

eezing

Newcomer
I've come to accept the limitations given to the PC gaming platform (mostly), but one limitation I can't stand is when a publisher is willing to release a title on two completely different and competing console platforms while totally excluding the PC.

Yea yea I know, GTA IV will most likely be available on PC in a year or so. Well, you know what??? I want it now!!! Look, in a year GTA IV will be old news and something bigger and better will be out. I'm the kind of guy that likes the new stuff; I had COD 4, Crysis, Orange Box and many others on opening day. I played the crap out of them at first, hell, I still play each of them at least once a week.

The first time I played Battlefield 1942 was more than a year after its release, and you know what? I didn't buy it! I instead played the demo for a week. It was old news! Gears of War; great game right? I don't know, I don't own it. You know why? Crysis came out! This is my whole point, why release something that is old when people want something new.

All I know is if GTA IV were releasing on PC at the same time as consoles, I'd buy it. But in this case, it's a BIG IF.

What do you think? Please voice your opinion on this matter!

i dont think it matters too much
look back if halflife was released 12 months after its release date would it be any less of a great game

i dont think it matters too much
look back if halflife was released 12 months after its release date would it be any less of a great game

Very true. But I also believe that a significant part about wanting to play games at release (or very near then) is that it lets you be a part of the whole she-bang as it unfolds. You can actively engage in discussion about the game, and encounter nothing but brand new, as-of-yet undiscovered content. By the time a year or so passes and you start playing said game, everything's been discovered, everything's been tweaked and modified and discussed to death and nothing you find or do tends to be anywhere near as interesting as it would've been had you done it and expressed it at the time of release.

I personally like to play new titles as close to release as possible for these reasons. It lets me be part of the game, REALLY be part of it, where it all begins. It's a great feeling and quite honestly is, I feel, the biggest downfall of a delayed release. You cut out the raw community spirit of a new, engaging title.

All I know is if GTA IV were releasing on PC at the same time as consoles, I'd buy it. But in this case, it's a BIG IF.

What do you think? Please voice your opinion on this matter!

See here's the problem, many people then wouldn't buy the console versions because they could get the free version so easily. At least I'm sure thats the thinking publishers use.

Whatever ratio you think piracy really is, it affects publisher decision making.

Humm well today the new is the launch in PC

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/002570_GTA_IV_for_PC_coming_November_30.htm

Yesterday , GTA IV For PC Very Doubtful

http://whatifgaming.com/gta-iv-for-pc-very-doubtful

In January , the launch in Octuber

http://www.digitalbattle.com/2008/01/25/gta-4-pc-this-october/

Meanwhile..:mrgreen:

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1147988&postcount=251

18yqj5nq0.jpg

15 - 20 fos with SSAO - occlusion ambient- :mrgreen:
Humm%20%20well%20today%20the%20new%20is%20the%20launch%20in%20PC

PC versions come late because of piracy and technical issues because of a large number of hardware configurations. It's just easier and more profitable to release an expensive to develop game on the console.

I wish that in my younger days I hadn't pirated so many games, but I did, and I was part of the problem that got the PC where it is now. Hopefully things will turn around for the PC because it's still my preferred platform. The only reason I have a 360 is just for those games I can't get on the PC.

Assassin's Creed is probably the first game I went and bought right away. I usually let the price drop a bit and also make sure new drivers and patches come out first so that my gaming experience can be as flawless as possible. I let others do the beta testing for me...others like you eezing LOL

can anyone tell me if there's a viable keyboard and mouse option for the ps3 or the xbox360?

well i've learned i can wait. i've spent the last several years (5?) on the bleeding edge of released games, disappointed >50% of the time, a sea of abandoned titles. disk full of unfinished games, i only go with new releases now if i don't currently have somethiing i like (droughts happen!). i can wait for pc release i think.

as for the sharing of the fandom about a game...it's can be both fun and aggravating, so not a big deal if i miss out on it. though i like it when (GTA) case stuff i mention i'd like to see before the game comes out shows up in games...???not like im driving the development, but more like im on the same frequency...in GTA 4 case. i mentioned how cool it would be to have internet access...and how much i hated the cutscene when you entered bldgs and the fact that you couldn't walk around, stand on your balcony in vegas and watch the strip. at least 2/3 of those features are in GTA4. similarly before SA, i said i'd like to see it set in vegas....with area 51...hoover dam....

can anyone tell me if there's a viable keyboard and mouse option for the ps3 or the xbox360?

well i've learned i can wait. i've spent the last several years (5?) on the bleeding edge of released games, disappointed >50% of the time, a sea of abandoned titles. disk full of unfinished games, i only go with new releases now if i don't currently have somethiing i like (droughts happen!). i can wait for pc release i think.

as for the sharing of the fandom about a game...it's can be both fun and aggravating, so not a big deal if i miss out on it. though i like it when (GTA) case stuff i mention i'd like to see before the game comes out shows up in games...???not like im driving the development, but more like im on the same frequency...in GTA 4 case. i mentioned how cool it would be to have internet access...and how much i hated the cutscene when you entered bldgs and the fact that you couldn't walk around, stand on your balcony in vegas and watch the strip. at least 2/3 of those features are in GTA4. similarly before SA, i said i'd like to see it set in vegas....with area 51...hoover dam....

The PS3 allows keyboard and mouse in some games. My friend has this weird controller that incorporates a mouse for his PS3. It's like the left half of the controller, with the left analog stick and buttons, and the right half is a mouse pad + mouse. The mouse has the shape buttons on the side where your thumb would be and the triggers are the regular mouse buttons. He said it works great for shooters, but I never tried it. Only saw a picture. Anyway, he uses it online and I think it's cheating.

I refuse to consider that there won't be a PC version. It has to be, and it will come. :(

I'll buy hte PC version the same minute the stores start to sell it. No mess with res/blur/framerate/pop-ins. And then I'll do what I can to make the LOD even better like in GTA3. ~~

The PS3 allows keyboard and mouse in some games. My friend has this weird controller that incorporates a mouse for his PS3. It's like the left half of the controller, with the left analog stick and buttons, and the right half is a mouse pad + mouse. The mouse has the shape buttons on the side where your thumb would be and the triggers are the regular mouse buttons. He said it works great for shooters, but I never tried it. Only saw a picture. Anyway, he uses it online and I think it's cheating.

will it allow it in this game? if so, im sooo buying a ps3 and this game today! even though im playing WoW like a madman now! can you aim with that weird mouse set up? so much for patience huh!

Last edited by a moderator:
See here's the problem, many people then wouldn't buy the console versions because they could get the free version so easily. At least I'm sure thats the thinking publishers use.

Whatever ratio you think piracy really is, it affects publisher decision making.

I agree with you; however, if software engineers can create a game engine that does what GT4 can do, then they can get off their lazy a**es and create some proper anti piracy. Seems to me that the only company going the extra mile to counter software piracy is Vavle. Steam is great, the only problem is, their the only company doing it.

CD KEYS DON'T WORK!

OH YEA, AND ALL YOU PEOPLE DOWNLOADING PIRATED GAMES......STOP! YOUR ONLY HURTING YOURSELF IN THE END!

How do you figure? Cracking steam just takes a quick Google.

only works with offline games really though, and they've in the past don't some work an nuked batches of steam accounts...

And people can pirate console games just as easy, the ONLY thing keep PS3 safe right now is that the media and drives cost too much right now for most people to find it viable.

I'm really p1ssed at R* for ignoring the PC on this one. The PC crowd is the same crowd that launched them and there is zero doubt that the game would have sold well on the PC (although nowhere near as well as consoles in all likelyhood).

Still, I think this will be the single most damaging game to PC gaming this generation because of the console sales it will drive of the back of a lack of PC option. PC gamers (or potnetial PC gamers) will be flocking to next gen consoles in droves just to play this game.

I can wait for the (inevitable - I hope) PC version that's coming in Autumn, possibly even with the DLC built-in because that means I get to play with 500% draw distance, unnoticeable LoD popping, extra texture resolution and true HD with copious amounts of AA and AF... just like I did with San Andreas.

I can wait for the (inevitable - I hope) PC version that's coming in Autumn, possibly even with the DLC built-in because that means I get to play with 500% draw distance, unnoticeable LoD popping, extra texture resolution and true HD with copious amounts of AA and AF... just like I did with San Andreas.
+1 :D

Back