[PC] Grand Theft Auto IV

GTA4 is average 20-25fps with dips into the single digits. Heck it is more often below 20fps than above so scratch that average ( :rofl: ) !

Source?

It's certainly not running that slow on my console. It's not 30+ all the time but it is more there than its not.

Source?

It's certainly not running that slow on my console. It's not 30+ all the time but it is more there than its not.

I saw very low framerates on the PS3 version I was playing. Walking wasn't too bad but driving at high speed was at best in the teens.

I had the opportunity to play the PS3 version yesterday. I was pretty suprised to see how bad the aliasing and framerate are. On the assumption that if the 360 was much better everyone would be shouting about it, I assume that will be the same.

I'm not an image quality or framerate whore but GTA4 on PS3 was bordering on unplayable for my tatses. My mind is definatly made up to wait for the PC version.

I'm quoting you, even though I'm also responding to several who posted after yours.

The X360 version runs in a higher resolution and doesn't use a blur kernel compared to the PS3. It sounds like, as people play it more, console owners are indeed finding that the 360 is getting better performance than the PS3. Especially with "pop-ins" and other streaming / loading scenarios.

I saw very low framerates on the PS3 version I was playing. Walking wasn't too bad but driving at high speed was at best in the teens.

I can't speak to the performance of the PS3 version myself, but if its running that slowly while just driving around thats pretty bad. The only time I've noticed any serious frame rate hiccups (20fps maybe) on my 360 is with some heavy action/explosions. The suggestion that it would be getting into single digits seems ludicrous in my experience.

I can only guess that its the ps3 version doing that.

PS3 version, but judging by the comparision videos and xbox360 version videos it has its fair share of slowdowns to. Driving car you often see it go down to 20fps and explosions takes them both down into the abyss in "crowded" scenes. Dude I mean I am not talking about blowing a car up in a empty alley! :p

360 framerate is not stellar, but adequate. It still provides a very good gameplay experience. If you are particularly sensitive to framerate, then it might be worth avoiding, but for 99% of players it will be enjoyable.

360 framerate is not stellar, but adequate. It still provides a very good gameplay experience. If you are particularly sensitive to framerate, then it might be worth avoiding, but for 99% of players it will be enjoyable.

Oh I agree and certainly 99% of the players dont mind. But then how come it mattered when the game name was Crysis, well that was what I was thinking about previously! ;) :p

Oh I agree and certainly 99% of the players dont mind. But then how come it mattered when the game name was Crysis, well that was what I was thinking about previously! ;) :p

Crysis isn't GTAIV, and GTAIV wasn't marketed to people at 60fps on very high.

Crysis isn't GTAIV, and GTAIV wasn't marketed to people at 60fps on very high.

No need to get so defensive I was just expressing my thoughts about framerate and how it is Ok for low fps on console games but not on PC games ;) . Now Crysis and GTA4 are the same, that is both are games, both have aiming, both lets you drive and both tries to do a huge streamming interactive gameplay area!

Never heared though about v.high + 60fps being used for marketing Crysis (sure you din't hear that on a random forum?). If anything almost all videos shown of Crysis before launch shows it on lower than high (very aggressive LOD) and below 60fps framerate! ;)

No need to get so defensive ;) Crysis and GTA4 are the same, that is both are games, both have aiming, both lets you drive and both tries to do a huge streamming interactive gameplay area!

Never heared though about v.high + 60fps being used for marketing Crysis (sure you din't hear that on a random forum?). If anything almost all videos shown of Crysis before launch shows it on lower than high (very aggressive LOD) and below 60fps framerate! ;)

I saw plenty of crysis screenshots and videos that were above playable resolutions for 99% of pc owners. And saying crysis = gtaiv in terms of gameplay is laughable. I'm no GTA nut, but crysis gameplay is best described as meh.

So I guess you could say performance is more important for a tech demo.

I saw plenty of crysis screenshots and videos that were above playable resolutions for 99% of pc owners.

I did to but the end product did almost deliver (or actually did except selective videos due to different art layout) what was shown minus the BS AA. The same goes for so many other games especially on consoles. But and I dont see how that has anything to do with framerate talk right here, seems more like grasping at any material to downplay the issue on talk! ;)

And saying crysis = gtaiv in terms of gameplay is laughable. I'm no GTA nut, but crysis gameplay is best described as meh.

Purely an opinion mather and again nothing to do with the framerate talk. And many reviewers dont seem to agree with you either. :smile:

And saying crysis = gtaiv in terms of gameplay is laughable. I'm no GTA nut, but crysis gameplay is best described as meh.

As said both have aiming, both has cars and the handling and aiming will be affected becouse of framerate issues. Thus how the framerate affects playability is valid between both games and comparable! :smile:

The only people that are upset about the framerate in Crysis are the same people that would be upset about the framerate in GTA4.

To me, they're both very playable games.

I did to but the end product did almost deliver (or actually did except selective videos due to different art layout) what was shown minus the BS AA. The same goes for so many other games especially on consoles. But and I dont see how that has anything to do with framerate talk right here, seems more like grasping at any material to downplay the issue on talk! ;)

You're the one that brought Crysis into it. NM I'll just put you on ignore.

The only people that are upset about the framerate in Crysis are the same people that would be upset about the framerate in GTA4.

To me, they're both very playable games.

I absolutely agree otherwise I wouldnt play Crysis at v.high on a 8800GTX. But it did pass my mind how other people downplaying Crysis becouse of instable framerate doesn't have a problem with GTA4's instable framerate. Just mere a thought I expressed but some did seem to be extremly offended bringing in non framerate/graphic related talk into the equation about the games on talk! :???:

but crysis gameplay is best described as meh.

So I guess you could say performance is more important for a tech demo.

A 91% average hardly points to a "meh" game.

Crysis is no more of a tech demo than GTA4. I'm not saying its necessarily as good as GTA4 (I am a GTA nut) but that doesn't mean it still isn't a damn good game.

And most games are falsely marketed before launch, just look at the bullshots of GTA4. The game doesn't have close to that level of anti-aliasing.

IMO the framerate of at least the PS3 version of GTA4 is a significant issue. It would be in Crysis aswell but since PC games scale, you don't have to worry about it as you can simply turn down the details.

no way crysis can compete on a content issue, it's feast v famine comparing it to GTA. if crysis HAVE that amount of depth and content, that would be another story. in fact as far as first play through goes, i liked Farcry better than crysis. and i view farcry v GTA as an apples/oranges thing. both enjoyable in their own way.

no way crysis can compete on a content issue, it's feast v famine comparing it to GTA. if crysis HAVE that amount of depth and content, that would be another story. in fact as far as first play through goes, i liked Farcry better than crysis. and i view farcry v GTA as an apples/oranges thing. both enjoyable in their own way.

I don't think anyones trying to say Crysis has as much content as GTA4. However its not trying to have because its a completely different type of game. Plenty of other high profile AAA games would also seem very bare compared to GTA4 in terms of content. CoD4, GTA5 and Bioshock all come to mind but there are plenty of other examples. It doesn't make them any less good that it does Crysis.

Crysis is a great AAA game if a 91% average is anything to go by so I see no reason to be less forgiving on it for a low framerate than on GTA4 even if GTA4 is "even better".

I don't think anyones trying to say Crysis has as much content as GTA4. However its not trying to have because its a completely different type of game. Plenty of other high profile AAA games would also seem very bare compared to GTA4 in terms of content. CoD4, GTA5 and Bioshock all come to mind but there are plenty of other examples. It doesn't make them any less good that it does Crysis.

Crysis is a great AAA game if a 91% average is anything to go by so I see no reason to be less forgiving on it for a low framerate than on GTA4 even if GTA4 is "even better".

Long story short, GTA4's story and overall game play are superior and Crysis got such a high score due to other factors (fancy graphics)?

Long story short, GTA4's story and overall game play are superior and Crysis got such a high score due to other factors (fancy graphics)?

So now a game can get 90% + on graphics alone?

No. Crysis scored highly because its a great game. Graphics brought the score up but high system requirements brought the score down.

GTA4 probably is a better game but so what? Its a better game than all the other games aswell, be it Bioshock, CoD4, Uncharted, GT5, Halo 3, MGS4, you name it. So that doesn't prove a thing.

Wow it amazes me how some think Crysis is only a graphical benchmark tool with no gameplay aspects. Yet you would often find those chaps praising games that has far less gameplay inovations than Crysis. Reviewers agree, players agree that the gameplay Crysis offers is very good.
You have tank battles, solo fights, group fights, military large scale battle assults with smoke tracers, explosions, large amount of combatants etc etc that few other gaems even comes close to offer. All that with great andrenaline action, tactics and cinematic gameplay. ;)

In the end I think it is jealousness to not be able now nor in the future to play such a great game unless on PC. :LOL:

BTW I take the gameplay style in GTA4 anyday over Crysis but it doesnt make Crysis seem anyless than what it is, or we can count out 95% of all games released IMO! ;)

Back