Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV500B Plasma

And it has the name of a footballer because...............? :devilish:

Very very sexy though, if only i had that kind of money to spend for a TV...

And here is another link to VIERA explained:
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/technology/viera-explained.html

Your perception of television is about to change. Panasonic flat panel displays have always been the ultimate AV aspiration, but now we’ve created a new generation of plasma & LCDs which represent the perfect blend of science and art. You’re witnessing a whole new visual era: VIERA.

VIERA represents the pinnacle of TV evolution. Within an amazingly thin and lightweight body, each VIERA design features everything you’ll need to enhance your viewing experience. It is an AV concept that defies convention and exceeds all technological, aesthetic and performance boundaries. In short, VIERA is TV unlike you’ve ever seen, watched, or heard before.

Anyway why am I posting this? Linked to the console manufacturers current obsession with HDTV (MS and Sony) I thought it was cool that a high quality but mass market company like Matsushita is finally releasing Plasma's that have HDMI and HD together (albeit *only* 720P and 1080i).

Personally I would prefer something that will give me 1080P but that isn't happening for at least a year or two.

Been hearing good things about the 50" Samsung DLP that is already out.

http://product.samsung.com/cgi-bin/...t_detail.jsp?eUser=&prod_id=HLP5085WX/XAA

b2c_l_hlp5085.jpg

• # DLPâ„¢ TV (Digital Light Processing)
    - Unique Pedestal Light-Weight Design - Fits Where Others Won'tâ„¢
    - Net dimensions: 53.6"(W) x 54.7"(H) x 20.5"(D), Weight: 125.4 lbs.
    # Samsung Cinema Smoothâ„¢ Gen 4 HD Fourth Generation Light Engine
    - Single Panel Digital Micro-Mirror Device (DMD) Design for a Crystal Clear Picture Without Any Possibility of Convergence Errors
    - High Output 0.8" DLPâ„¢ Technology by Texas Instruments
    - Smooth Film-Like Images
    - 2500:1 Contrast Ratio with Outstanding Color and Deep Black Levels
    - Enhanced Low Light Scene Detail Performance
    - 30% Quieter Operation (48db)
    # Samsung's Latest Generation DNIeâ„¢ Video Enhancer
    # Samsung Cinema Smoothâ„¢ Film-Mode 3:2 Pull Down Powered by Genesisâ„¢
    # 1280 x 720 Digital Format Converter for All Inputs
    # HDTV Performance with Add-On HD Receiver
    # New HDMI and DVI Inputs for True Digital Performance
    # No Screen Aging or Burn-In Effects for Worry-Free Enjoyment

I'm not sure if I'd call its weight of 125.4lbs light either, that seems fairly high for a DLP screen.(I think typically I've seen them in the 60lb to 100lb range)

I'm guessing the tv has fans since it makes that much noise? No wonder it doesn't have burn in!(does this qualify as a joke?)
That, or it draws enough power that it's humming.

Well TVs have always made a humming noise, some more than others. But i'd imagine these new flat screens with fan(s) will make slightly more noise, even though the fan(s) is very quiet.
My god i'd sell my body to buy one of those TVs :LOL:

Almost all plasmas have fans or multiple fans since there is not space for air inside the plasma case. I remember there was one plasma from some company that used an aluminum case as a heatsink so that it didn't need a fan(s), but the was an exception.

That Samsung is a DLP and most projectors are pretty loud because they have to cool down that very hot bulb. Heat decreases the life of the bulb so they have a fan for that. BTW there's really nothing different about that Panasonic. It's just a XGA PDP like most other brands out there, it's not true HD resolution. OTOH there are LCDs with true HD resolution from Sharp.

london-boy said:
True HD resolution? 720p-1080i is not true HD?

True HD or FULL HD is is something like 1980x1080 native resolution. Just because a tv can upscan to 1080i doesn't mean it has a native resolution of 1980x1080.

PC-Engine said:
london-boy said:
True HD resolution? 720p-1080i is not true HD?

True HD or FULL HD is is something like 1980x1080 native resolution. Just because a tv can upscan to 1080i doesn't mean it has a native resolution of 1980x1080.

Right so if the display has 768 vertical lines, it's not "true HD"? Never heard. I mean i trust u, but i guess the thing doesn't affect me that much since.. well i'm in the UK so... :rolleyes:

Oh i meant to ask, it says the TV has a SD slot (or whatever memory stick thing it supports) and it's able to record in MPEG4.. Does that mean that you can just slip the SD(or whatever) in, press a button and record your TV programs on the memory card thing?
That's quite neat. Won't be able to record much but still...

I would honestly much rather have a DLP projector. They are available up to I believe 4000:1 now with 10,000 lumens. And the screen size is much bigger. :devilish:

I'd be utterly amazed if it had the capability to record MP4 to the flash memory card. It appears that it is capable of playing-back MP4 from memory cards, however. The small handheld MP4 videocams are pretty groovy actually, especially when you consider that 1GB SD flash cards only cost about 50 quid these days. Saying that, I'm not sure if any of the main MP4 videocams support this size of memory card as yet.

SD/PC Card Slot for Photo Viewer and MPEG4 Recording and Playback. Easy Playback of Digital Photos: SD and PC card slots make it easy to view still images from a digital camera ( or other memory card equipped device) on VIERA's large screen. Easy Transfer of Moving Image Data: Let VIERA expand your digital entertainment world. For example, you can record a television programme directly onto an SD Memory Card, then take the card anywhere and watch the programme using an SD viewer.
(Viera Networking only applys for the 500 series)

It seems like it does according to the Panasonic website. This is really cool.

Wow - I'm surprised it does MP4 encoding direct onto SD cards.

But saying that, I'd expect it to be able to bring me breakfast in bed as well if I had to pay that price! :p

Back