Ordered data sorting in memory

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
I wander would there be any advantages for a video card driver to create a database and the video card can load that data on loadtime/runtime?

Wouldn't it be faster to rearrange data that is organised than unorganised?

Or has something like this already been implemented?

K.I.L.E.R said:
I wander would there be any advantages for a video card driver to create a database and the video card can load that data on loadtime/runtime?

Wouldn't it be faster to rearrange data that is organised than unorganised?

Or has something like this already been implemented?
1. A full blown database seems rather silly having user roles ect ect ect creating tables ect ect ect.
2. Whats getting put in this database? textures? VBOs? aren't this all being done at run/load time anyway or are we saying that all the 3d application should install stuff into a database when they install the game?
3. What about software that creates textures at run time they then would need to add a record into a table into a database and then the driver would then ahve to go off and retrieve that record wouldn't it just be simpler for the program to directly load the texture through the driver?

If a database was implemented that the performance gains would come from sorting data assuming that there is enough video memory on the card.

K.I.L.E.R said:
If a database was implemented that the performance gains would come from sorting data assuming that there is enough video memory on the card.

I think you would find it would be the oposite their are alot of over heads in a database also they generally index for many many different queries which is more calculation overheads. Most drivers would use something a bit better the a unsorted linked list where speed benefits would be gained ( i.e. Binary trees, Heaps, 2,3-trees , hash tables ).

Back