Optimus keyboard, The ultimate keyboard to own!

Bossieman

Newcomer
I want one of this beauties.
Klick here for more info.

keyb_002.jpg

This is the fourth or fifth thread on this keyboard. It would help if people (a) searched the forums if they don't keep up with reading them and (b) gave their threads relavent titles to make searching easier.

DOGMA1138 said:
where???
dont care how much!
just where can i buy one???

You can't, it's just a design concept. The Russion designers think they can get in into production in the next year, but the hint is that it will cost several hundred dollars. Search for the other threads and you will find more info.

Answers from the FAQ;

It’s in the initial stage of production.

We hope it will be released in 2006.

It will cost less than a good mobile phone.

It will be real.

It will be OS-independent (at least it’s going to be able to work in some default state with any OS).

It will support any language or layout.

Moscow is the capital of Russia.

Each key could be programmed to produce any sequence.

It will be an open-source keyboard, SDK will be available.

Some day it will be split (and made “ergonomicâ€￾).

It will most likely use the OLED technology (e-paper is sooo slow).

Our studio is located two blocks from the Kremlin.

It will feature a key-saver.

Keys could be animated when needed.

It has a numeric keypad because we love it.

There’s no snow in Moscow in summer.

It will be available worldwide (why not?)

OEM is possible (why not?)

I love the whole idea, personally. It has so much potential.

suryad said:
It would be a big seller no doubt!

Define "big"? Will it capture the hearts of many and sell decent for its price? Yes! Will it be the next big thing to have for everyone? Haha, no.

I'd want one as long as its resonable, it looks very useful.

I wouldnt expect them too soon to be honest. If the SDK was released I would love to have a play. All our keyboards are Bloomberg ones ( different keys and colours for using the bloomberg teminal), and it would be cool to be able to have a keyboard that changes to suit rather than looking like a clown had vomited on it all the time.

Also, Ive built many apps that use a similar interface to the Bloomberg one for simple things like marking to market, and historical data analysis etc. If I could label the keys more appropriatly it would be usefull. Traders dont tend to be touch typers, and spend a while chasing around the keyboard for keys they dont use often.

I think we would take an order of 3-5 on the first day of availability if the SDK was available for a quick play first. Then again, if its a paint to code for thenn I probably wouldnt use it.

If fact, how would the interface work? Could you call if from inside VBA for excel for instance? Would there be a javascript interface to it? C++ is a given, and probably .NET but how about things like Delphi?

Is it two way? Can you do things like:

IF keyboard.key.A.image = ImagePath &"Wibble.bmp" then .... else ....
?

many many questions, but the idea is great.

Ali

edit: a crap picture of the bloomberg keyboard:
http://about.bloomberg.com/about/hardware/img/keyboard-1.jpg
and one of the older keyboard (thats MUCH better to use):
http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/library/images/screenshots/DSC00032.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ali said:
If fact, how would the interface work? Could you call if from inside VBA for excel for instance? Would there be a javascript interface to it? C++ is a given, and probably .NET but how about things like Delphi?

I wouldn't be surprised if it worked like those programmable HOTAS stick/throttle controllers with a bazillion key and macro functions. Build your profiles, and then load them in as needed.

Skrying said:
Define "big"? Will it capture the hearts of many and sell decent for its price? Yes! Will it be the next big thing to have for everyone? Haha, no.

I'd want one as long as its resonable, it looks very useful.

It would probably beat Logitech keyboard sales if marketed properly methinks. I mean come one OLED displays for your keys and customized profiles etc etc?! Every gamer/enthusiast's dream!

suryad said:
It would probably beat Logitech keyboard sales if marketed properly methinks. I mean come one OLED displays for your keys and customized profiles etc etc?! Every gamer/enthusiast's dream!

Despite the recent releases of several "cool" looking keybooards with backlighting and such, nothing comes even close to the coolness factor of the Optimus. Though if you are exclusively a FPS player, the Wolf's Claw might be interesting.

BZB that wolfclaw thing is nifty.

I wish they just sold the left half though, and I am not really sure about the letters... Ah well it still looks like it would be awesome. I used to play with the numberpad, but there were not enough keys. I dislike WASD b/c they are not lined up quite right as this is... The wolf claw folks should put OLEDs in their device and sell just that bit it would be awesome.

Sxotty said:
BZB that wolfclaw thing is nifty.

I wish they just sold the left half though, and I am not really sure about the letters... Ah well it still looks like it would be awesome. I used to play with the numberpad, but there were not enough keys. I dislike WASD b/c they are not lined up quite right as this is... The wolf claw folks should put OLEDs in their device and sell just that bit it would be awesome.

Mail them and suggest it. I think it's a good idea too. That way people could (say) use an ergonomic keyboard with a wolf's claw for gaming. Be easier to position it in relation to an ordinary keyboard too.

Back