Optimus keyboard, The ultimate keyboard to own!

Hm. It only lasts 5k hours? What a waste... OLED will never amount to anything unless they can get this issue under control.

Guden Oden said:
Hm. It only lasts 5k hours? What a waste... OLED will never amount to anything unless they can get this issue under control.

5K hours would be a few years of extensive use, unless you're sitting in front of the PC 24/7...

I use my KB a minimum of 12 hours a day.
I only go to uni for 1-3 hours a day maximum and it's not everyday.

Casual use is around 16 hours a day of usage.

365.25 * 12
5e3/4383

Assuming I always use it 12 hours a day everyday(I usually use it around 16) it will last me 1.1 years.
A lot less for me.
Roughly over half a year.

_xxx_ said:
5K hours would be a few years of extensive use, unless you're sitting in front of the PC 24/7...

"Lifetime" in this case does not indicate the average time it takes until the display is "dead", but until the maximum brightness falls below a certain percentage of the initial maximum brightness. CRTs often have a rated lifetime between 10k and 20k hours.

I've been hoping to be able to buy that keyboard for quite a while now. As a user that frequently switches between English and Swedish layout it would be really useful to be able to read the keys. Nothing's more disturbing that typing something in Swedish, then looking for a special character like "?" or "@" and you either end up press a half dozen keys before you get it right, or you end up switching to english, pressing the key, then switching back.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I use my KB a minimum of 12 hours a day.
I only go to uni for 1-3 hours a day maximum and it's not everyday.

Casual use is around 16 hours a day of usage.

365.25 * 12
5e3/4383

Assuming I always use it 12 hours a day everyday(I usually use it around 16) it will last me 1.1 years.
A lot less for me.
Roughly over half a year.

Seriously...... GET A LIFE.

That's it.

Its my freaking job to work on computers and build them and I dont even use the computer but a maximum of 8 hours a day.

Dunno the model but its not painted, rather just not labelled.
Yes, you too can pay a premium for an incomplete keyboard...

Meh I already cause enough fear & resentment at work with my Dvorak layout.
Mind you one of the guys in the IT dept has one of these that he runs Dvorak on :devilish:

Blazkowicz_ said:
That's an IBM Model M keyboard painted in black, isn't it? ;)

Nope, it's a squishy key. It's just a Keytronics keyboard without labels on it. Real men just take the key tops off the real Model M :D

Of course, I have a Model 13, black clicky and has a Trackpoint II built in. I love that keyboard.

I never understood the praise the IBM Model M keyboards get. I hate them, all of them I have used were a pain within a few minutes to my fingers, add to the fact that they also had to much of a curve. Just an overall major hand discomfort.

I had one (don't know where it is). These old keyboards are undestructable and heavy, at this time it seems that IBM built computers so they can stand a nuclear blast :).

Really great for typing IMHO, with this keyboard I can type very fast without a mistake. I get the impression that fingers amways land where I expect them, hard to push the wrong key. (I already can type fast, but model M allows to type faster)
Gaming with these sucks though! any FPS turns into a CLICK-CLICK-CLACK-CLICK party.
so I'd get one if I had to type kilometers of text each day..

Last edited by a moderator:
Skrying said:
I never understood the praise the IBM Model M keyboards get. I hate them, all of them I have used were a pain within a few minutes to my fingers, add to the fact that they also had to much of a curve. Just an overall major hand discomfort.

It's personal preference. I don't like a keyboard without any weight to the keys. Most of the keyboard I use have the curve to them too. I will admit to not gaming on the Model 13, it just gets to noisy. :D So I have a USB keyboard for gaming, but when it comes down to coding, give me a IBM.

Back