opera 8.5 + pdf= crash..wtf

Moloch

God of Wicked Games
Veteran
How do I stop opera from crashing when it finishes loading pdfs?
It's really annoying!!!!!!!11111111111111

That has never happened to me. I'd look at your own installation of Acrobat and/or Opera. As a quick fix, however, you can change your Opera settings for PDF-files to 'Open in default application' instead of 'Use plugin'.

FF and IE don't crash with it...
So if I want to reinstall opera, what folder do I backup for history and stuff?

FF has one great extension for PDFs, always asks you if you wanna DL it or open it....
i hate when i click some link and i didnt notice its PDF and then i haave to wait till 10MB file DLs and Acrobat opens..... damn annoying, this extension is life saver.

(yes, i know this is OT, but i just wanted to mention this, cause i see he uses FF also)

radeonic2 said:
FF and IE don't crash with it...
So if I want to reinstall opera, what folder do I backup for history and stuff?
If you re-install Opera over an existing installation your settings won't be effected. If you want to do a complete reinstall then your settings are stored in your Opera Profile folder - you can find where this is by going to Help > About Opera (it's normally something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Opera\Opera\profile\ )

What version of Adobe plugin do you have? You can find out by typing opera:plugins in you address bar. I've never had Opera crash with PDFs, but it could be the plugin version you have (because IE and FF may well not use the same version). Could be you need to reinstall Acrobat rather than Opera.

silence said:
FF has one great extension for PDFs, always asks you if you wanna DL it or open it....
i hate when i click some link and i didnt notice its PDF and then i haave to wait till 10MB file DLs and Acrobat opens..... damn annoying, this extension is life saver.

You're right, being asked to open or download PDFs is great and Opera also allows this.

hmm.. it's using the pluggin located in me FF 1.5 beta folder!
C:\Program Files\Firefox 1.5 beta\Plugins\nppdf32.dll

Same problem here. Opera crashes if I try to scroll the PDF. I just simply changed Adobe Reader settings so that PDFs will not be opened inside the browser. Doesn't fix the problem, but meh.

silence said:
you mean Opera is crashing to Firefox plugin? now THATS weird... if i understood correctlly...
That opera:pluggin shows the FF dir...
does that mean it's using that pluggin?

possible.... but thats really weird, why would Opera use FF plugin?
i have no idea here.....

OK.... now this IS weird.... here is my setup - Firefox 1.0.7 and Opera 8.5
i just clicked on PDF and it asked me if i want to DL file or open it... i clicked open and it opened it in Acrobat...... neither program crashed or showed any problem....

hope this helps.... dunno, maybe if you try to get that extension for Firefox????
i really have no idea.... sorry for not being of more help....

silence said:
possible.... but thats really weird, why would Opera use FF plugin?
i have no idea here.....

OK.... now this IS weird.... here is my setup - Firefox 1.0.7 and Opera 8.5
i just clicked on PDF and it asked me if i want to DL file or open it... i clicked open and it opened it in Acrobat...... neither program crashed or showed any problem....

hope this helps.... dunno, maybe if you try to get that extension for Firefox????
i really have no idea.... sorry for not being of more help....
er it crashes opera, not acrobat.
I had it set to open pdfs in opera, if I set them to open in acrobat it of course works perfectly fine.

ooops... sorry, i thought it crashes no matter what.... once again weird and sorry for taking your time... wish i was more help then this :???:

radeonic2 said:
hmm.. it's using the pluggin located in me FF 1.5 beta folder!
C:\Program Files\Firefox 1.5 beta\Plugins\nppdf32.dll
What version of the DLL is it? The one I have is in my Opera Plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Opera8\program\plugins) and is nppdf32.dll v 5.0.5.452 I suggest moving the correct plugin to your Opera Plugins folder. If that doesn't work you could always add the plugin to the text file plugin-ignore.ini in the root of your Opera install folder.

Diplo said:
What version of the DLL is it? The one I have is in my Opera Plugins folder (C:\Program Files\Opera8\program\plugins) and is nppdf32.dll v 5.0.5.452 I suggest moving the correct plugin to your Opera Plugins folder. If that doesn't work you could always add the plugin to the text file plugin-ignore.ini in the root of your Opera install folder.
Adobe Acrobat Plug-In Version 7.00 for Netscape...

http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/851/
8.51 and release notes:
Security and plug-ins
Macromedia Flash version shipped with Opera is now 7r61. Addresses issue reported in Secunia Advisory 17437.
Solved severe stability issue when using the Acrobat Reader 7.0.5 plug-in.
Miscellaneous
Fixed multiple stability issues.

As for me I always open pdf's with default app (Foxit PDF Reader - a freeware from foxitsoftware.com , its small, so far had opened every pdf i tried in last 6 months, and is LIGHTNING FAST compared to adobe's product)

Back