Oooh, I'm going to have fun with this assignment

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Windows XP vs Linux

This assignment will definitely give me a "professional" way to bash Windows XP, Microsoft and their decisions.

Do you guys think this assignment looks too easy?
I think it looks that way.

Needless to say, I can bug some Linux gurus over this. :)

Well, unless you write operating systems for a living "easy" is the last adjective I'd use to qualify any OS comparison.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Mordenkainen said:
Well, unless you write operating systems for a living "easy" is the last adjective I'd use to qualify any OS comparison.

Oh crap, it's hard, isn't it?

Hard is a very subjective term, it may be time consuming, but it shouldn't be difficult.

Though to be honest, it almost sounds like your professor is having you guys do a little bit of research for them so they can write a book. But I suppose that's just a the conspiracy theorrist in me.

windows xp and "linux"

seems a little 'confusing' to be specific about the version of windows , but be non specific about the linux varient. . why not "windows" vs "linux" ?

is that bit about marking other peoples essays' standard ??

davefb said:
windows xp and "linux"

seems a little 'confusing' to be specific about the version of windows , but be non specific about the linux varient. . why not "windows" vs "linux" ?

is that bit about marking other peoples essays' standard ??

You mean if it's done every year in that class? I don't know. That bit makes sure the teacher doesn't mark us too hard or too soft.

We'd appreciate if you could share your finished assingment with us. It looks interesting.

maybe a good start would be to put some of the things like Linspire, XandrosOS or Crossoffice....

thats somewhere in the middle between win and linux zealots (yes, they are linux based, but offer possibility to work with win programs).

check those out.... maybe it can give an angle your teachers didnt expect?

One application aspect you could study and include in your assingment: games run faster on windows xp than linux... :rolleyes: :devilish: :devilish: 8) :LOL:

mito said:
We'd appreciate if you could share your finished assingment with us. It looks interesting.

Sure, though I would have to do this after my assignment has been marked.

Install yourself a nice Debian server on some old computer, the way you want it. When you're done, you have covered all the material you need to write your essay. And if you want to go the "ease of use" route: not much beats Knoppix.

Just for the record I scored 18/20 for my assignment.

13 / 14 for my essay.
5 / 6 for marking other people's work.

Huzzah!

Back