On the brink of war

pascal

Veteran
http://www.economist.com/agenda/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1647941
Many countries remain vehemently opposed to war. Jacques Chirac, the French president, accused America on March 18th of a reckless use of power that endangered world security. “There is no justification for a unilateral decision to resort to force,â€￾ he said. In protest at the imminent war, Russia’s parliament put off ratification of a landmark treaty with America on the reduction of nuclear arsenals. China, another veto-wielding member of the Security Council, insisted again that the Iraq crisis should be resolved through the UN.
This is part of what I worry about. I dont like the sound of the wind.

it is important to open up your ears when the world is trying to talk to you, i hope that people will come to understand this soon.

30-plus nations in U.S.-led coalition
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/03/18/sprj.irq.int.reaction/index.html

The 30 named countries in the U.S.-led coalition are:
Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Japan (post-conflict only), South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, Netherlands, Nicaragua, Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom, Uzbekistan.

As a loosely related side note- France has just stated that it'll join the war in case of use of chemical or biological weapons against the US/UK forces or any other country.

So they're already preparing to buy themselves back into the global Oil business. Germany has also stated that the US can use the country for transit routes. While this sound worth nothing, it's clearly opposing their public pose. If the German government would really stand against the war and the US they could not allow it by their laws.

However, the UN has already switched to reconstruction talk.

Canada dont like it too. http://www.economist.com/world/na/displayStory.cfm?story_id=1632848
Even so, Canada has—along with Britain—traditionally been one of the United States' closest allies. The two countries have a joint defence command, and have fought many wars together; Vietnam was the main recent exception. But whereas one Canadian in three draws comfort from living next to the superpower, a similar number finds such proximity threatening. Suspicious of raw power, Canada has always been a strong supporter of multilateralism and the United Nations.

So it is not surprising that Iraq is causing much friction. Mr Chrétien has called for the weapons inspectors to be given more time, wants all measures to be decided by the UN, and has been reluctant to commit forces to the Gulf. Some of his supporters have been more outspoken. Last month, Carolyn Parrish, a backbench MP from Mr Chrétien's Liberal Party, said to reporters, when she thought the microphones were off, “Damn Americans. I hate those bastards.â€￾ That earned her no official reprimand, merely applause when she later appeared on a television talk-show.

Also see that Tony Blair is in trouble with his own party.

kyleb said:
it is important to open up your ears when the world is trying to talk to you, i hope that people will come to understand this soon.

Yup.

That's why I'm grateful that this adminstration did open up his ears and listened to what the world had to say. The administration simply disagrees.

I do believe, Kyle, that you are a big proponent of people agreeing to disagree, correct?

Or are you really trying to say that we should just agree with what others say, just based on the fact that others are saying it and using their own blck-mail and bullying tactics to try and persuade us?

i am a proponent of people working things out in constrictive ways, and only agreeing to disagree for periods that they cannot find it within their hearts to do otherwise. i belive that all life comes around eventually, assuming the conditions are good; this goes for the crops in the field as well as us who tend to them. also, yes i know you think it is time to get out the insecticide; but insecticide can hurt more than it can help in many situations and my experience still requires me to disagree with such action in this case.

oh and not i never support going for black-mail and bullying tactics; that is why it really troubles me to see a good friend of mine shipping of any day while stating clearly himself that he does not belive our current action is called for but insists that he will have enough money to buy an new computer when he gets back and it will surely be better than going to jail for breach of contract. :(

kyleb said:
i am a proponent of people working things out in constrictive ways,

So am I....though I assume you mean constructive. ;)

and only agreeing to disagree for periods that they cannot find it within their hearts to do otherwise.

So am I. The problems come in when one person dictates that someone else's "heart" should be able to hold out longer.

i belive that all life comes around eventually, assuming the conditions are good;

Agree, for the most part.

also, yes i know you think it is time to get out the insecticide; but insecticide can hurt more than it can help in many situations

Agreed.

and my experience still requires me to disagree with such action in this case.

And my experience tells me otherwise. So maybe we can leave it at that.

i am a proponent of people working things out in constrictive ways

con·strictive adj.

1.) To make smaller or narrower by binding or squeezing.
2.) To squeeze or compress.
3.) To restrict the scope or freedom of; cramp:
:cry:

Joe DeFuria said:
Or are you really trying to say that we should just agree with what others say, just based on the fact that others are saying it and using their own blck-mail and bullying tactics to try and persuade us?
Who is blackmailling US Joe? France? Russia? China? Canada? Mexico? Most EU? the UN?

Or they just want to disarm Sadam and honestlly see no need of force now?

30 countries means only 1 in 6 countries agree with it. What is wrong?

kyleb said:
oh and not i never support going for black-mail and bullying tactics; that is why it really troubles me to see a good friend of mine shipping of any day while stating clearly himself that he does not belive our current action is called for but insists that he will have enough money to buy an new computer when he gets back and it will surely be better than going to jail for breach of contract. :(

So now the military is black mailing its soldiers, right? You have some shallow friends, by the way. Do you have any friends that are in the military and support the war?

Every single one of my friends that are in the military, or have been in the military, haven't talked one bit about money at all. They talk about doing what's right.

lol, ya i meant constructive. :oops:

but it was the spellchecker's fault, not mine! it is evil i say! :devilish:

;)

but seriously, i could leave it at that if it wasn't a fact that i am apparent to this by way of citizenship and i greatly enjoy of making use of my liberties insured as an American. however, we have already been though how the conditions when you feel it is time to metaphorically break out the insecticide and i have explained how i disagree; so i do agree that there is no reason to drag that portion of the discussion back up between us at this point. however, please note that i edit my last post with a few more responses to you which i hope you might consider.

pascal said:
Who is blackmailling US Joe? France? Russia? China? Canada? Mexico? Most EU? the UN?

The examples in the first post "threatening" to perform actions that the U.S. would prefer not to happen if we go through with the operation.

Oddly, they don't want to see force, but they have no problem with supplying us air space and land passage. But they are standing up based on principal, right?

The first thing that is wrong is, that it's more like 45 countries. 15 or so give "private" support. That concept is itself alrarming no matter how you look at it...that 15 countries support us, but are "afraid" to publically admit it?

(Edit: Secondly, all I see is 45 countries that "support". I don't see any list of countrys that "oppose" and a thrid list of countrys that say "no comment" (abstain.))

Finally, nothing is wrong at all. One set of countries feels one way, including the one, the U.S. that feels it has the most to loose by ignoring action. Another set of countries feels another way.

There is disagreement. Nothing wrong at all.

pascal said:
Also see that Tony Blair is in trouble with his own party.

Blair has been in trouble with certain elements within his party ever since he was elected leader (never mind elected Prime Minister), in general the pinko lefties. I'd be surprised Blair if actually gets pushed out. A lot of his MPs disagree with him over this particular issue, but in the longer term they're worried about their own seats in Parliament which are a lot safer with Blair at the helm.

Joe DeFuria said:
pascal said:

The examples in the first post "threatening" to perform actions that the U.S. would prefer not to happen if we go through with the operation.

IMHO those are not blackmailling but are reactions. Nobody said " I will do this if you do that".

Joe DeFuria said:

Oddly, they don't want to see force, but they have no problem with supplying us air space and land passage. But they are standing up based on principal, right?

They dont want to use force now without exausting peacefull means to disarm Iraq.

Joe DeFuria said:

The first thing that is wrong is, that it's more like 45 countries. 15 or so give "private" support. That concept is itself alrarming no matter how you look at it...that 15 countries support us, but are "afraid" to publically admit it?

Secondly, nothing is wrong at all. One set of countries feels one way, including the one, the U.S. that feels it has the most to loose by ignoring action. Another set of countries feels another way.

There is disagreement. Nothing wrong at all.
[/quote]

Also some governments have trouble supporting US like Turkey.
IIRC Blair lost THREE ministers up to now.

I feel unconfortable with all above.

Er not really, two of them were under secretaries and Robin Cook's always been a bit of an oddball (Leader of the House of Commons). Interestingly the only real minister whoo looked they'd resign didn't.

pascal said:
IMHO those are not blackmailling but are reactions. Nobody said " I will do this if you do that".

No, the threatened "to do this, if you do that." Whether or not they do remains to be seen.

They dont want to use force now without exausting peacefull means to disarm Iraq.

Neither does the U.S. Thing is, we believe all possible peaceful means HAVE been exhausted.

Why isn't this ever understood? Disagree with it if you must, but don't imply that we don't believe that any additional "peaceful" means are doomed to failure.

Also some governments have trouble supporting US like Turkey.

Point? Other governments "outwardly oppoesed" like Germany, don't seem to have trouble letting us use their bases, airspace, etc. That doesn't "comfort" you in the same way that Turkey having "trouble" gives you discomfort?

And it doesn't comfort you that public UK support for involvment has been increasing?

Joe DeFuria said:

threat requires imposition, while you might prefer they did not withdraw their current support; that is clearly a case of standing ones ground and not a threat by any definition of the word. telling a man to take up arms and fight or go to jail is a threat, even if when it is done by contract.

So. what you're saying is, it's no imposition to us or anyone else if Russia doesn't sign the "landmark treaty with America on the reduction of nuclear arsenals."

On a related note to the original post, the New York Times has an article headlined "Negative Views of U.S. Are Increasing in Europe, Poll Finds" http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/19/politics/19CND-POLL.html (you have to register to read it).

The poll showed a serious disconnect between Americans and their traditional allies. While 59 percent of Americans supported a war to remove Saddam Hussein, only 39 percent of Britons and 13 percent of the Spanish favored military action.

Still, it's interesting that:

The antipathy to Mr. Bush and the United States is all the more striking because most of the European nations firmly believe that the people of Iraq would be better off if Saddam Hussein is removed from power and disarmed by the United States and its allies.

By wide margins, they agreed that the Middle East region would be a more stable place after a United States-led ouster of Saddam Hussein. Russia and Turkey were the only exceptions.

Based on this poll, I suspect that sentiment towards the US could actually swing to the positive side if the war can be won without any significant casualties. However, if more than a few innocent citizens are killed, negative opinions towards the US could become even more entrenched.

It will also be interesting to see if any sort of WMD will be used in the war by Iraq, and once the coalition wins (I don't think there's any real doubt about winning, quite frankly), to what actual extent WMD were being developed by Iraq. One of the impediments to forming a pro-invasion opinon is that to the general public, there seems to be insufficient concrete evidence available of a sizeable and currently active chemical or nuclear weapons program in Iraq. Indeed, you have comments from UN inspectors like this (http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,917323,00.html):

A UN weapons inspector who returned from Iraq yesterday said today that the US had given them wrong and misleading information about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

Jorn Siljeholm, 48, a Norwegian scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, spent 100 days in Iraq as part of the UN inspections team.

He told the Associated Press that assertions by US officials, including the US secretary of state, Colin Powell, about Iraq's arsenal and its attempts to hide it, did not tally with his own findings.

"None of their hot tips were ever confirmed," he said, adding: "I don't know about a single decontamination truck that didn't turn out to be a fire engine or a water truck."

So, although there have been claims of classified intelligence showing Iraq currently has WMD, that hard evidence has not been made available to the public. Fair enough, since that might compromise the invasion... But, at some point during the war, the coalition had best uncover those WMD -- otherwise, there will be a real loss of credibility. And if there are substantial civilian casualties as well, the world community will be outraged.

Back