Trying to upgrade Bubbles, take the one after the last one...

Damn it, you're on the other side of the state too. My sister lives in Germantown. I'd have said howdy if it was near by, I love meeting people from the forums IRL!

Question on the memory I should be looking at, is PC3200 just the standard or should I go for faster? Bubbles currently has an Asrock B450 pro 4 with 2x8GB PC3200, not sure if I'll use the new mobo I get or just keep mine but I plan to use my R5 1600 to pass down to either my wife or kid so I need another mobo/memory...just not as picky about 'em.

Do the 5000 series Ryzens like faster memory? Also is 16GB still good enough as long as I have some open slots to expand to 32GB down the road or just get 32GB. Memory seems really cheap right now so I'd rather get something good.

As usual I didn't see this coming nor expect it, but I won't miss it! The days of waiting for a <$100us 5600 are over, they're starting to all go up in price now.

is PC3200 just the standard or should I go for faster?
3200 is the default ram speed for my cpu 3800x but I bought 3600mhz ram since i figured 3600mhz ram would have more chance of hitting 3200mhz than 3200mhz would it actually runs at 3600mhz (anything faster would mean the ram and infinity fabric would be out of sync) plus the price wasnt really any different.
I would check the mboard's qvl list for tested ram sticks and buy something from that list.
As for amount 16gb should be fine (i have a theory 8gb would also be fine) I have 32gb and virtual memory disabled and have never had an out of memory error
If you plan on adding more ram in the future you would want the same ram as you have
A little story :
I had a system with 2x4gb ddr3 dimms Crucial Ballistix Tracer (rgb but only 2 colours read and green) and a few years later I decided to add another 2x4gb sticks since ddr3 at the time was really cheap problem was I couldnt find that particular
ram on sale anywhere.

Last edited:
The 5600x3d's motherboard seems much nicer, I can live with PC3200 for a bit. I don't have to decide until Sunday afternoon, so I got something to chew on in the back of my mind for the looong drive..

My wife decided we're going to drive down to Tennessee tomorrow to see Mike Campbell and the Dirty Knobs. She's a big fan, I sort of like 'em. (Mike Campbell was Tom Petty's guitarist and my wife has been a fan for 30+ years)

I'm against every single thing about this trip except for the fact that it takes us straight through Indianapolis and their newly opened Microcenter. Went perusing there just now and saw this:

View attachment 9769

Am I missing something or is this the upgrade I've been waiting for? Hoping they have a bargain open box GPU again like last time I upgraded. :D

EDITED BITS: Just noticed they have a cheaper option too:

View attachment 9770
About $30us for 2x8GB of PC3200, so a bit cheaper.

The x3D version is DEFINITELY worth it if you plan to do gaming. :) That's as no brainer as it gets. Going to game? Get an x3D. :)

Also, faster memory is good for Ryzen CPUs, but 3200 is fine. Compared to what you currently have, it's likely going to blow you away. Even without the extra 2 sticks of DDR, It'd be the better deal to go for the 5600x3D.

While there are some few games that won't see much benefit from the 3D cache, most games will benefit and when they do, it's significantly faster.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
The 5800X3D is currently $20 more than the entire bundle dig posted. So not exactly a good deal.

Oh yeah, 20 minutes outside of Indianapolis coming home "we" decided it wasn't a good idea to upgrade at this time. Yes, I was disappointed and have been avoiding tech stuff for a while since. Trying to shake it off still.

Oh yeah, 20 minutes outside of Indianapolis coming home "we" decided it wasn't a good idea to upgrade at this time. Yes, I was disappointed and have been avoiding tech stuff for a while since. Trying to shake it off still.

Damn. :( If I didn't need to hang onto my 3700x as a backup in case my 5800x3d fails, I'd send that your way just to get you off the 1600.

Regards,
SB

Back