Trying to upgrade Bubbles, take the one after the last one...

Discussion in 'PC Purchasing Help' started by digitalwanderer, Nov 3, 2018.

1. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Got a mailer for a $99us 24" monitor that seemed like a good deal, saw a 240GB SSD for $34us and thought "WTF?!?!", so I went and checked DDR4 prices...

..and there were 2x8GB sets for under $100US! :O

So I'm gonna be trying again to upgrade my lovely lady Bubbles. Needing a new CPU/mobo/memory for now, the rest is fine. (Well the 680 GTX won't cut it but I'll swap it with my wife's 390 and that should give me 1920x1080 gaming happies for a while.)

I was poking around Microcenter and found the following upgrades, total $341.74us after taxes, and was curious on any thoughts anyone might have. I could cut the price by $20 going to a Ry5 1600 instead of the 2600, and I could cut another $20 by going from DDR 3000 to DDR 2400, but the 2400 is CL17 and the 3000 is CL15. Was curious if I'm cutting too much or not enough.

Here's the bits:

ASRock B450 PRO4 AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6 Core AM4 Boxed Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler

GoldKey Technology Neo Forza Faye 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3000 PC4-24000 CL15 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit - Red

Any input/advice? I think it's definitely $341.73 worth of upgrades for sure, it won't just give me back my gaming it'll give me back some NICE gaming! :D

2. Davros

Legend

Yes a Force-Feedback Steering Wheel they are awesome, so much so I have 4 of them

digitalwanderer likes this.
  3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

For memory, don't pay for a faster speed grade unless you know it'll run at the higher speed with the MB/CPU combination you have.

Ryzen CPU/MB combos can still be pretty picky about what memory they'll clock high with.

Regards,
    SB

digitalwanderer and BRiT like this.
  4. entity279

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Ryzen love high speed memories, so aim for the higher - speced ones.

Wrt to compatibility 8 GB sticks should be quite easy to handle.

Personally I've bought a QVL kit for my (x299) motherboard, and it just wouldn't boot in XMP. After RMA and second kit arrived, same problem. The processor does get a say in memory compatibility, not only the mother board. So saying that claimed compatibility is no guarantee

5. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

AFAIK it's less so with the Ryzen 2000 and 400-series chipsets.

Which is another reason why the 2600 is worth the extra $20.

6. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Yeah, go for the 2600. That is what I upgraded to recently when Newegg had a bundle with a x470 mobo for $250. RAM was still more expensive when I was building so I paid $150 for a 16GB kit. I boned myself a little because I totally forgot my case was itx only so I had to add on another $40 for something that would fit the atx mobo in the bundle.

7. digitalwanderer

Legend

Ooh, I forgot to even hunt around. That's sounds like a great deal, I'm gonna keep my eyes open. Thanks!

8. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

Note that you definitely don't need an X470 chipset, a B450 will be fine. I just built a gaming PC for my daughter with a 2200 and got a B350 motherboard for $50 new with BIOS already updated for Ryzen+. Got a decent set of 3000Mhz RAM to ensure it ran better, making sure I picked something from the QVL for compatibility.

ToTTenTranz and digitalwanderer like this.
  9. digitalwanderer

Legend

I was just wondering, what's the difference between the 450 and 470 and I definitely think I want a 4-series over a 3-series mobo...am I right?

10. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games

This should help. I highly doubt there's anything in the 470 you'll need over a 450. You should definitely go for a 4-series over a 3-series unless you really want to save that $30 or whatever it might be.

[​IMG]

digitalwanderer and BRiT like this.