Ok, full interview from anonymous third party about Wii GPU.

I never saw self-shadowing or even RL's water effects (not nearly as good as the sequel, but still had some nice glint from the sun) in DX7 games. Maybe I played the wrong games. What really seemed to hurt the framerate in Rebel Strike were the transparency effects from things like proton torpedoes and clouds.

Cube didn't have vertex shaders. It also didn't have a vector unit on the CPU, not even something like Altivec. Doom 3 and Riddick depended very heavily on programmable vertex shaders.

Rogue Leader reminded me of 3DMark2000 and 2001, I think. Not much, if any, bump mapping going on, but lots of poly-loaded models.

In the case of Wii, if it has an easy development track, I expect that to be a limiting factor in it's games. The majority of development will be about making money without real love for the machine. If it does have lots of tricks and quirks that the super-geeks could do amazing things with, I do question if they'd be involved in Wii or be playing with the other machines. If the hardware hasn't fundamentally changed from GC's, I can't see there being much appeal for those who like to get down into the real meat and heart of the hardware. Would you choose TEV over Xenos or Cell?

Good points. I wonder that myself, too. Whether or not the developers who really get into going down-to-the-metal with the hardware will be interesting in pushing something they basically already know vs. the new hotness in 360 and PS3.

The question is "do they really know it?" I mean, developers didn't exactly make many great games on the Gamecube. Factor 5 and Capcom did, but who else, really?

I'm waiting for some of the better looking titles to come out (Dewy's, Nintendo's games, Capcom's games), to see if that really pushes some developers to start "trying."

I mean, even with all of the Wii's disadvantages in power, it is still a cheap and relatively easy system to develop for. And pushing it to it's edge would be a neat accomplishment.

SEGA, Namco, SK, Rare, Retro, SE...

Namco? What did Namco do that was so impressive? I don't recall there being much if any hype over SK's graphics in Eternal Darkness. It was well know for plot, not graphics. As for Sega, I just don't know. F-Zero was amazing, but that was only one game. Their recent Wii offerings certainly don't match F-Zero.

I was pretty impressed with the WWE:DOR games. They were IMO some of the best-looking wrestlers of the era. Beyond Good & Evil also looked top-notch on the Gamecube, with a custom water shader and very, very nice particles. The cave looked magnificent. But other than that...how many 3rd parties even gave the Cube special treatment to begin with? Geek-run Western studios all went for the Xbox, and Japanese studios stuck to the PS2. Cube got leftovers.

I was pretty impressed with the WWE:DOR games. They were IMO some of the best-looking wrestlers of the era. Beyond Good & Evil also looked top-notch on the Gamecube, with a custom water shader and very, very nice particles. The cave looked magnificent. But other than that...how many 3rd parties even gave the Cube special treatment to begin with? Geek-run Western studios all went for the Xbox, and Japanese studios stuck to the PS2. Cube got leftovers.

Hmmm.possibly I miss something,but you speak about guy,who can spend week on a c64 in 2006 to bring out an interesting effect and to show to the world they can do amazing things with old hardware?

I know what is the geek feeling.And trust me: if I can spend weeks to bring out everything from a mechine I would chose the wii and not the ps3.Simply because from a ps3 a lamer can bring out incredible things, but from a wii only a true wizard can get out the same result.;)

Hmmm.possibly I miss something,but you speak about guy,who can spend week on a c64 in 2006 to bring out an interesting effect and to show to the world they can do amazing things with old hardware?

I know what is the geek feeling.And trust me: if I can spend weeks to bring out everything from a mechine I would chose the wii and not the ps3.Simply because from a ps3 a lamer can bring out incredible things, but from a wii only a true wizard can get out the same result.;)

It's amazing how, with so many intelligent people on these boards, we're still able to find some of the most incomprehensibly ignorant statements ever written..

Great job dude!

It's amazing how, with so many intelligent people on these boards, we're still able to find some of the most incomprehensibly ignorant statements ever written..

Great job dude!

Why?It is not a statement, it is a possible thinking way.
And if you can use something as a whip to drive the guy to the target,you have to use it.

The thing is, expectations are higher for a PS3 title and it's definitely not a simple platform. Wii is the simpler platform and it seems expectations are very low among its users (besides us whiny forum goers who fantasized of a RV530 + dual core running 640x480). Hell, the thing is flying off the shelves even with a horrible game lineup! <- IMHO, of course

The game line up isn't that horrible, but it's by no means great. It has a few nice little titles in there, with some that are surprisingly good (Godfather).

I do think that development for the Wii will prove very interesting for two reasons.

1. Developers working with the Wii will likely discover new, non-resource intensive methods to "next-gen" effects. This could potentially in turn, improve "next-gen" games. :)

2. Developers could possibly start working on engines that are extremely versitile. You may see games going multi-platform that we once thought were impossible to do.

I'm just interested in seeing if developers start taking chances with the Wii. Right now they seem to be trying to emulate Wii Sport's success, but I'm hoping for more unique games in the future. MySims is a neat little example. It's cheap to make, and might actually get EA a little market space in Japan.

Also, I think "MySims" is getting it's own TV show, or something. :oops:

Harry Potter, probably one of the best looking Wii games, nothing mind blowing if you think in GC exclussive games being below Starfox and Zelda (but taking in acount other Wii games meybe it is) but finally something that it isnt some port from a PS2 game/engine.

http://www.infendo.com/wii/harry-potter-wii-graphics-do-not-disappoint/

It does feature nice shadows, great outdoor ground (bump mapped? ), cool physics (wonder how many object you can affect at once) and no loadings.

It does feature nice shadows, great outdoor ground (bump mapped? ), cool physics (wonder how many object you can affect at once) and no loadings.
A lot of the graphics features are hard to tell. The shadowing and lighting model look good, but elsewhere I've seen things that make me suspicious what we're seeing is 64 MB of prebaked lighting and texturing. The bumpy ground I felt was a texture with the bumps pre-lit, like CON on PS2 - that looked to have bumps on everything, but it wasn't bump-mapping. Without any dynamic lights it's hard to tell.

It's a game that shows technical potential (bizarrely, considering the stable from which it comes!) but we'll have to wait on some more media to see what's really going on. Or someone with better eyes than me can spot some giveaway clues!

Harry Potter, probably one of the best looking Wii games, nothing mind blowing if you think in GC exclussive games being below Starfox and Zelda (but taking in acount other Wii games meybe it is) but finally something that it isnt some port from a PS2 game/engine.

http://www.infendo.com/wii/harry-potter-wii-graphics-do-not-disappoint/

Doesn't look bad at all, really. If EA can start getting that kind of thing out of the Wii, I don't see why other companies can't do better.

We shall see, I suppose. :)

I've seen this video 2 week ago but if you go to ign they got a couple more videos but those dont look nearly as good and look more like a average ps2 game. Though maybe thats because they actually are ps2 videos, wouldnt be the first time ign has videos from a different platform in the Wii section.

I'm more impressed by the cool physics than the graphics. The video's taken off of a TV screen and not direct feed, so it's nearly impossible to see what it really looks like. I also looked at the brick floor, but it didn't look like bump-mapping to me, but I could be wrong. I'm still wanting for direct feed before I judge it.

Does the physics remind anyone of Elebits? That's the first thing that came to my mind when he started yanking the furniture around.

It's a game that shows technical potential (bizarrely, considering the stable from which it comes!)

(suponding that the game looks as good as it seems to look) I dont think that it is that bizarre but it is in fact a quite natural consequence of not being just a port, because if someone does a game/engine for Wii (or even GC), even without efforts, it should be easly and almost automatic to make use of the extra raw power/memory (like the prebaked lighting or just higher poly counts), easy of programing and most know/basic features like EMBM and thus surpassing, for a larg margin, the PS2 (XB, in some things?). So things like this may soon be very well the norm, depending on how serios companys take the development on Wii (and EA making this it may be a very good sign).

I'm more impressed by the cool physics than the graphics.

The physics seems nice but it does need to move a lot of things before it impresse, even things like TS3:FP on the PS2/GC already had much more hapening in the screen at once with no worst qualitity.

BTW I saw in the net some scans for BIAs it seems to look at least as good as the XB version meybe even better in some things like the detail/rez in the caracthers, try to find them.

BTW I saw in the net some scans for BIAs it seems to look at least as good as the XB version meybe even better in some things like the detail/rez in the caracthers, try to find them.

What's BIA? I can't figure out what it stands for. :oops: I saw some pretty awesome looking Transformers scans from NP though, and they look very nice for a movie based game.

Back