Ok, full interview from anonymous third party about Wii GPU.

I read it.

Some developers say that its too underpowered. Someone even says its probably even less powerful than XBOX1. A few others also accept something similar but add that some effects can still be done on it that come close to some of the 360's and PS3's effects.

It finally ends by saying that due to Wii's fixed architecture and lack of power which makes it harder for developers to take full advandage of the hardware or make impressive results might not give incentives to developers to do advanced work due to Wii's hugely increasing userbase which could quarantee that their games will sell anyways on it

I hope thats not true if I finally get a Wii

Ack... slightly off topic: Why the heck are we allowed to edit a thread's title when the changes don't show up? I still see the horrific spelling mistake there even after I edited the thread title.

Also, some guy on another forum claims that another PC site benchmarked the Wii. I'm trying to get him to provide me with a link to it. I think he said he found it on digg. So far, I have no luck with it.

Newsweek said:
That assessment dovetailed with what we heard from our first source. "Almost all the shader effects on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 can be reproduced on the Wii by re-implementing them with the fixed function hardware of the Wii's GPU. Most games just port the effect over. A few teams have gone as far as making a shader-to-Wii conversion tool. It reads the shader code and generates the fixed function code necessary to achieve the same result. Keep in mind that the Wii's GPU is not as fast or feature rich as the Xbox 360 or PS3, but that doesn't mean you can't get very close results."

So the question is how many developers as speniding time with TEV?

Sounds like our speculation was on the mark for the most part. That part about tools converting shaders to fixed-function code...thats somewhat interesting. I wonder what sort of results such a tool would produce.

Wii still has SOME graphical advantages over the first Xbox, the same ones that Gamecube had, but now even more.

Wii has slightly more fillrate than Xbox
Wii has more framebuffer bandwidth than Xbox
Wii has more RAM than Xbox.
some of Wii's RAM is lower-latency than Xbox's RAM.

although it's not known if Wii can rival Xbox's raw vertex/polygon performance because NV2A had twin vertex shaders, and until Wii has twin XF (t&l) units, then Xbox might still hold the advantage there.

I would say though, that if enough effort was put into graphics, Wii could surpass the best Xbox graphics in most areas overall.

I'm not touching the topic that much as being at other boards the stupidity and fud that people say from both sides is down frieghtening. If you ask me a lot of what they says sounds contradictory in some ways.

although it's not known if Wii can rival Xbox's raw vertex/polygon performance because NV2A had twin vertex shaders, and until Wii has twin XF (t&l) units, then Xbox might still hold the advantage there.
Twin vertex shaders or not. That diosen't really mean it might be faster than Wii's one whatsitscalled.

I remember NV's graphics chips doing a lot worse on 3DMark's polygon test with a lot of lights at once. Wasn't Gamecube's chip supposed to do quite well even with many lights?

So 2 isn't neccessarily more than 1 in the computer industry I think. Hehe.

I would say though, that if enough effort was put into graphics, Wii could surpass the best Xbox graphics in most areas overall.
I don't think it would take that much effort really.

GC already had some vry good looking titles and it was being held back by very little memory. Wii has lots of memory compared to GC.

Reason that most Wii games look kind of pap is because devs aren't taking it serious. They're makin g quick cash-in titles based on gimmicky controller gameplay. If they took the console seriously it wouldn't be hard to beat xbox visuals I think.

Peace.

Reason that most Wii games look kind of pap is because devs aren't taking it serious. They're makin g quick cash-in titles based on gimmicky controller gameplay. If they took the console seriously it wouldn't be hard to beat xbox visuals I think. Peace.
this is also the answer to the
Wii Sales: Less Than Meets the Eye
thread as well, true the reason u see no good 3rd party for wii is cause everyone thought it would fail (even nintendo somewhat) , thus it was rush rush move this title dont give a shit ie wii, huh smiee (make some bucks while we can), but now it hasnt failed, in fact the opposite, expect wii games in 1-2 years time to look a lot different, it doesnt seem to be so flash in the pan thus various ppl are gonna take it seriouslier ( aint a word is it? )

But remember, you can't crunch the vertices if you can't get them to your graphics chip from RAM fast enough. Despite the XGPU having that extra vertex shader over the GeForce 3 and the time spent optimizing the game, Doom 3 on Xbox didn't even rise to the level of the settings with which a Geforce 3 could run it.

So TEV is now 16 stage.

I like this part
"Almost all the shader effects on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 can be reproduced on the Wii"

Just what is the REAL polygon performance of the first Xbox anyway? I'm not talking benchmarks, but real game performance, because all I've been able to find are the theoretical numbers. The same deal with the PS2.

this blog mean two thing to me:
1st they did not released still the wii graphics SDK
2., the wii graphics chip have same improved architecture.

If they touch the texture memory architecture too, the wii will able to bring interesting things.:)

Totally

Look at the end of it says this

Posted by The_legend_of_drtre at 10:01 PM

I saw this a few months ago when he did the pm he couldn't back up what they dev said at all to me. Not only that when did the TEV have the ability to deal with vertex shaders? He also says 18bit color, correct me isn't it 16 24 32 bit 18 seems a little out of place. Sure someone more competent than me can poke holes in this explanation but it should be bunk to most off the bat.

Anonymous source said:
The Wii is some where in the 2.4 - 2.6Ghz Intel P4 (Non-DualCore) Range

What a clown. I stopped reading right there. There has been no CPU, ever, that can match a 2.4 P4 running at only 729 MHz. Even the Core2 Duos and Athlons, which are the champions in work per MHz, aren't 2x better than a P4 per clock, let alone a relatively low-end PowerPC.

Back