Office 2010 Beta 2 now available (MSDN/TechNet and also Public)

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
As per topic. I'm quite happy with O2007 so the major reason I'm jumping in this early is because of x64 bins. There's some usability improvements here and there like being able to customise the ribbon, or having paste effects before you actually paste something in, etc. but this is a refinement of O2007, certainly when speaking of the four primary apps (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).

If you don't have either a MSDN nor TechNet sub, the public beta is supposed to open up later this week/early next week.

EDIT: Saw on The Tech Report that the public beta is now live.

As per topic. I'm quite happy with O2007 so the major reason I'm jumping in this early is because of x64 bins. There's some usability improvements here and there like being able to customise the ribbon, or having paste effects before you actually paste something in, etc. but this is a refinement of O2007, certainly when speaking of the four primary apps (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).

If you don't have either a MSDN nor TechNet sub, the public beta is supposed to open up later this week/early next week.

Oh interesting, so there's sorta like a realtime preview of what you might wish to paste in?

Is that a triggered thing or an always on thing? I'd imagine it could be a bit annoying if it was always on.

Otherwise, I'd LOVE something like this. As my eyes get older it sometimes gets difficult to see where the cursor actually is when pasting in stuff.

Regards,
SB

Oh interesting, so there's sorta like a realtime preview of what you might wish to paste in?

Is that a triggered thing or an always on thing? I'd imagine it could be a bit annoying if it was always on.

It's only triggered when you hover your mouse over a specific icon:

O2010_paste_preview.png

You have these icons in the Drop-down Paste button (as shown in the picture above) or in the right-click context menu where the context menu itself fades to let you see the paste preview. It's kinda neat but the important thing is that you now can see exactly how the text will show up after you paste by hovering. Once you're happy, click to commit.

Nice, thanks for the screenshot.

I would still love to have a mini-version of Word or Word-mode that only allows you to use styles for formatting, and disables any other formatting options. So instead of Pasting using the original formatting or whatever, you choose what style it should be pasted in and/or have style conversion or creation options for the text to be pasted.

I would still love to have a mini-version of Word or Word-mode that only allows you to use styles for formatting, and disables any other formatting options. So instead of Pasting using the original formatting or whatever, you choose what style it should be pasted in and/or have style conversion or creation options for the text to be pasted.

You can do that (in 2007 even) in the Options where you stipulate that whatever you paste from:
a) same document,
b) other document,
c) external program, etc.

Either retains source formatting, always paste in plain text, always inherents destination formatting, etc.

It's a bit cumbersome, and I never wanted a single rule to apply to all situations, so I'm happy they've added a paste preview that lets me choose in the moment without ambiguity.

Very nice, hadn't been intending on upgrading from Office 2007, but now I'm considering it. Is there a key-combo for the paste preview? Or is the hover the only way?

Regards,
SB

You can do that (in 2007 even) in the Options where you stipulate that whatever you paste from:
a) same document,
b) other document,
c) external program, etc.

Either retains source formatting, always paste in plain text, always inherents destination formatting, etc.

It's a bit cumbersome, and I never wanted a single rule to apply to all situations, so I'm happy they've added a paste preview that lets me choose in the moment without ambiguity.

I actually didn't know you could change the default, thanks, that's a big help - especially the setting for text from external programs is something where I never want the default behaviour.

Still would like a version of Word that only allows you to work with styles though. ;)

Hit Ctrl to preview.

Awesome, I'm now looking forward to trying this out. Cut and paste becomes a bit infuriating when your eyes start to get old. Especially if you are in a hurry.

Be nice to just do a preview, instead of always having to undo if I get the wrong spot, or the wrong formatting, or...

Regards,
SB

Back