1:18:42 - Other News

Hot Topics:
1:34:30 - Nvidia Topics
2:01:10 - Dirty Coding Tricks

Side Tracked:
2:08:06 - 3D Graphcis History Threads

Under The Hood:
2:11:18 - Power7 Based Supercomputing
2:18:29 - 3D Motion Controls (WM+, PSMC, Natal, NIA)

User Questions:
3:08:34 - Wrap Up

Description:

Welcome to the 2nd episode of the Official Beyond3D Podcast. This week I prepared less (and was relaly, really tired), Max prepared more, and we ended up with way too much material. But we're going to leave it standing, because most of this stuff dates quickly. We're still aiming for between 1-2 hours of content, so don't get angry if we actually manage that goal next time. In the meantime, you have the index so you can skip the bits that don't interest you. ;)

The podcast is still missing dressing, like music fillers and sound effects, but as we say in the intro, we're going to add these things over time. We both have day-jobs and women. ;) We don't really consider this episode a beta, but until we've got the distribution going through official channels (on this site and through iTunes), we'll probably keep the moniker (and we may just remove them from the tag info and add some intro music once they go up officially, we'll see).

Hope you enjoy the show!

Max and Arwin

There's a fairly good presentation on Halo War's usage of the tessellator for their terrain engine:

http://mygdc.gdconf.com/vault/play/1628

It seems a rather good fit for terrain, and even Viva Pinata's usage was specifically for terrain. Actually, with CryEngine 2, they did mention tessellation for their ocean waves, but I'm curious if with CE3 that they moved that particular aspect over to Xenos (vs CPU). And furthermore... if repi is able to comment on Frostbite... whether they've made any use of it for their terrain renderer as well.

Gears of War 2 also uses the tessellator for the fluid simulation as well, not that they go into too much depth.

With respect to PC tessellation, it may be worth noting that there have been some developments on ATi's side to enable tessellator usage pre-DX11, since the tessellator unit was included since R600 - they've had some sort of programming structure (ShaderX7).

On a very side note, I'd find it a shame if BioWare didn't use the tessellator for Mass Effect considering the various terrains...

rs.com error said:
This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information.

am i the only one getting this?

Yep, I'm downloading from .de.
Last week, I mistakenly canceled it and rs didn't let me restart download.

No offense intended as you know I love you guys and all, but you might want to consider trying a slightly condensed version of the podcast for those of us who are attention span challenged.

Just a friendly suggestion, please take it as such.

DW: Agreed, anything more than an hour & I think you need to seriously think about more than one episode a week. When I was listening to podcasts like crazy they started getting longer & longer to the point I just gave up on them altogether. Treat them as TV or radio shows, not movies. ;)

Tommy McClain

Well, like we said in the OP, we are aiming for 1-2 hours. We just overshot that this time, can't be helped, sorry! Better luck next time! You can always pick your favorite hour from the index and just stick with that. ;)

Can you please aim for 45mins to 1hr 15mins? 2 hours is still too long for me. An index is nice, but I still have to listen to the show from start to end to find out if it's something I want to listen to. I don't like seeking through audio. You end skipping stuff & end up having to go back & play it anyway.

Tommy McClain

I was going to actually suggest 10-20 minute podcasts, longer than that and you'll start to lose the majority of your audience.

C'mon, these are CONSOLE people we are talking about! ;)

I second AzBat's suggestion for the show's length. Although, I enjoy the ListenUP, I tend to tune out a lot of the discussion after an hour in (must be the ADD in me). Also, I think it would fit in great to an average workout period.

Beyond Three Hours!
I'm just going ahead and will say, without even starting to listen to it yet, that whatever you're talking about, you need to find ways to condense it (or to cut it short and postpone the rest to another episode).

I have nothing against 2hr podcasts [if you have something smart to talk about :)]. Im 40mins in, and i like the fact that Arwin is not dominating airways like in ep1.

Back