OC quandaries.

Kriosym

Newcomer
Sitting at 10859 3Dmarks without even DDR ram with my 9700 pro a little overclocked (stock cooling 346/330), a little FSB overclocking on processor/ram (139MHz stable)

But damn I just wish I could get this Athlon unlocked, the temps are pretty low still and I would get watercooling if need be to get the speeds up more. I tried the THG way with a silver laquer PEN but it didn't work and it was so tedious and difficult I'm afraid to try again for fear of damaging the CPU. I thought I had it all correct the first time, took 2 and a half hours doing it, but still won't unlock the multiplyer. Anybody ever unlocked their AthlonXP 1700+ in this fashion?

First you tape over the L1 bridges and fill in the small laserlock holes (too small to see really but they are there) with glue, then when it dries you flatten the top of the glue out the best you can with a razorblade, then you maticulously tape a mask which creates a small open 'bridge' between each bridge, and one at a time you apply the laquer to the mask, let it dry, remove all the tape, and go to the next bridge for rinse and repeat. At the end you have to make sure all the bridges are making a good connection individually but are not touching eachother. I think this is where I may have messed up. None of them are touching but some are *VERY* close. The problem is the laquer would leak under the tape a little regardless of what I tried. If I made the tape too close together the bridge would be thin and have breaks in it, but too large and the bridge would be fat and too wide and I would have to make the next one thinner to compensate. They made it look so easy in the video.

Was it the silver laquer PEN I used? The guide used a small bottle/brush solution but I could not find this anywhere local, but the guy at the electronics store assured me this was the same stuff that comes out of the bottled versions, and sure enough the resistance listed on the pen claims to be the same as what the bottled versions offer. It just seemed a little 'thin' to me, perhaps thats why it leaked under the tape, and perhaps that is why the guide suggested the bottled version. Anybody done this trick with AthlonXP1700+ CPU?

Yes, i have, just like you described.
It was a big pain in the ass, and i only got a partial unlock out of it.
I only get a few multipliers to work.
Fortunately for me, they happen to be the ones i needed :)

Can you tell me WHICH ones you got to work? And exactly how you did things (same as THG guide, slight different?). Perhaps my BIOS just doesn't support the correct multiplyers that 'work' from this unlock.

Heh.
Ok.
I filled in the gaps with solder mask instead of glue, and i used a conductive pen just like you did.
I think the reason i only get some of the multipliers is that not all of my bridges are connected very well.
Lets see, i have a 1700+, so thats a 1466Mhz.
Thats a multiplier of 11.
I got 12 to work, but 11.5 wouldnt work.
On my cpu,i had to go to 1.85vcore to make 1600Mhz stable, so i ended my unlock experimentation right there :(.
IIRC, i tried 12.5 and no dice either - ran proc at 1600Mhz also.
Good luck man.
I have seen some stuff on using those plstic conductive strips from LCD screens to unlock the processor. They are little strips of plastic with basically tons of straight conductive lines on them, like so:
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
for connecting the lcd to the pcb. Some guy cut a section off of one and used it to successfully unlock his processor. Might try that.

Thanks. Whats wrong with 1.85 anyhow? Not like your CPU will burn out before you're ready to upgrade it anyhow, right? I run mine at 1.80 with the FSB overclock I have going.

Nothings wrong with running at 1.85 vcore.
I am doing it right now.
thats just the max the bios allows me to set the vcore...
I see how my statement could have appeeared misleading.
By ending OC experimentation, i meant that i could go no higher.
So i settled for running at 1600Mhz at 1.85 vcore.

Welp. I tried unlocking it again. It booted up fine once more at default speeds. Then I tried 13x multiplyer right off the bat. System won't even post. I turn it off, wait awhile, try to turn it on again. I get DOOO-DOOO, DOOO-DOOO, DOOO-DOOO, from PC speaker. Turn it off, get out the trusty screwdriver to clear the cmos by connecting the two jumper points on the motherboard (I've done this a lot in the past succesfully). So I reset the bios to default that way, turn system back on. Still no post. Now system stays on for about 5 seconds, then I get one BEEEEEEP, then it shuts off automatically. Pretty certain my CPU is toast. Tried getting it to run for about an hour then gave up.

Just ordered an ABIT KX7-333 Socket A VIA KT333 Motherboard, two(2) 256MB PC2700 CAS2.5 Samsung DDR RAM, and an AthlonXP 1600+ with gauranteed AGOIA or AROIA stepping. I've heard lots of info about them being VERY overclockable. Any suggestions on my next overclock attempt? I used some cheap thermal paste, I'll make sure to get artic silver for next run too.

Back