NVnews fun....

It is funny how a gfx card company can insight such ludicrous banter from extremely intelligent folk.

Why, I have witnessed perfectly rational folk turn into the so-called "fanbois" overnight, but the funniest thing is what Russ posted a whileback: The "fanboi" who has enough technical knowledge to overcome one of the greatest achilles heels of regular "fanbois" - that is they sound barking mad. [paraphrased] However reading between the lines of these "technical fanbois" you realise that they too are barking mad. :?

My fanboi opinion is: NVIDIA genuinely fudged up with GFFX, the biggest fudge up they have ever commited with regards to an actual product. ATI on the otherhand completely and utterly fluked it with the Radeon 9700 Pro -no question about it.

My fanboi statement above is complete and utter bollox but I like it cos' it's simple and allows me to sleep at night. It is infinitely better than saying things like; yea but what is company Y said this and then replied like company X and you would say the sun still shines out of their ass ... so na na na! Oh yea and my dad can beat your dad up!!

Or whilst company Y is angelic and pure goodness and can never do anything bad company X comes from the pits of hell itself.....its so obvious to see man you are on the wrong side - I pity you foo! Oh yea and my dad can beat your dad up!!

Edit: loads of stuff

@misae: :D. good point. for me its all about performance/price. so i was glad that ati caught up/passed nvidia. this will hopefully gives more features, better performance for the price.

later,

ps a bit off topic but what were the main features included in fx from the 3dfx team. just curious. too lazy to search right now. :)

Hellbinder[CE said:
]:?:

I could have sworn i had a post in this thread.... Didn't I?????

Yes, you did. And I deleted it because I'm tired of being nice and asking you (and others) to cool your jets. If you have to have these near-constant spasms of irrational anger over video cards/chips, please do so elsewhere.

Folks, I'm speaking for myself and not the rest of the B3D staff, but I'm really, really sick of these ATi vs. Nvidia threads, the petty bickering and name calling, the pointless arguments that are so mimetic of each other. These boards are not the place for this crap, yet it's getting worse because no one affiliated with the site wants to appear heavy-handed or unfair so we've been too lenient (IMO) with certain posters. Most of you know who you are because you've received PMs from me politely (usually so, but sometimes not so politely) asking for changes in your posting styles/tones.

The noise level on this board is going to come down below 120 decibels.

epicstruggle said:
ps a bit off topic but what were the main features included in fx from the 3dfx team. just curious. too lazy to search right now. :)

To answer this question first there needs to be another fanboi war of approximately 20 pages.

Let me start.. 3dfx inclusion = delayed the product, overhyped it, made it too hot to run using conventional cooling, started making their 'on boards' to ensure quality (ahem), gave it an external power source even though they are on a better process, overclocked the GPU so much so they can guarantee they are faster in 8 out of 10 benchmarks and erm they installed a new coffee air conditioning unit in the engineering department.

Yea I know I totally nullified my post above with this reply - I never did say I was immune from being this fanboi disease :p

Ooops.. sorry John I posted this at the same time as your post - delete it if you wish but it was meant to be an art of pure irony however I doubt it could ever work in this climate.

There seems to be quite a consensus with my alleged "spoutage" there Mr. 12-post wonder Diespinner.

Would you care to point out an example of the fictional "spoutage" and a description with examples of how you disagree, or did you just register to post one liner, AOL "u suxorz" style posts? Take your time if need be. :)

John Reynolds said:
Yes, you did. And I deleted it because I'm tired of being nice and asking you (and others) to cool your jets. If you have to have these near-constant spasms of irrational anger over video cards/chips, please do so elsewhere.

Folks, I'm speaking for myself and not the rest of the B3D staff, but I'm really, really sick of these ATi vs. Nvidia threads, the petty bickering and name calling, the pointless arguments that are so mimetic of each other. These boards are not the place for this crap, yet it's getting worse because no one affiliated with the site wants to appear heavy-handed or unfair so we've been too lenient (IMO) with certain posters. Most of you know who you are because you've received PMs from me politely (usually so, but sometimes not so politely) asking for changes in your posting styles/tones.

The noise level on this board is going to come down below 120 decibels.
:D

Bravo. Hope it works. :)

later

what a nice sandbox you guys have here... Just remember that throwing sand to friends eyes isn't nice, though he would have brand new shiney truck on his hands. and John keep lifting bad kids off the frame... ;) few hours playing alone on Gravel will make him much more cooperative to play on rules.

Hi Nappe1

Your message was very cryptic and apt as usual (if I understood all of it).. what the hell does this mean?!!?!?! :? :?

though he would have brand new shiney truck on his hands

demalion, You win. In fact, this BBS wins. I am really tired of the constant anti-Nvidia tirades here (JR, why even allow Walt's original message, just look at the style it was written). It's like going to Slashdot and expecting fair treatment of Microsoft technology.

I tried for a several months to convince people to see that we had two *great* DX9 cards coming to market with similar features and performance and there was less reason for the heated battles of the past and more a reason to talk about what could be done with them in the future. But I think I realized this morning that it's just pointless to argue any of this stuff. It isn't going to change the outcome of the 3D card market, and if you're a biased against a company, you're not likely to change you opinion. Bi-partisanship is only a dream.

People here really do seem to be more interested is cheering on companies, and less interested in actually fairly assessing them and the tech. Just look at the other threads, people don't even neccessarily care if the two cards have similar performance this generation. I guess they'd be happy if NV goes out of business.

I think it's only going to get worse Monday, and I doubt I'll be returning after this. Anyone who wants to reach me can send mail to democoder2000@yahoo.com

-DC
p.s. Go Raiders!

DemoCoder said:
demalion, You win. In fact, this BBS wins. I am really tired of the constant anti-Nvidia tirades here (JR, why even allow Walt's original message, just look at the style it was written). It's like going to Slashdot and expecting fair treatment of Microsoft technology.

I tried for a several months to convince people to see that we had two *great* DX9 cards coming to market with similar features and performance and there was less reason for the heated battles of the past and more a reason to talk about what could be done with them in the future. But I think I realized this morning that it's just pointless to argue any of this stuff. It isn't going to change the outcome of the 3D card market, and if you're a biased against a company, you're not likely to change you opinion. Bi-partisanship is only a dream.

People here really do seem to be more interested is cheering on companies, and less interested in actually fairly assessing them and the tech. Just look at the other threads, people don't even neccessarily care if the two cards have similar performance this generation. I guess they'd be happy if NV goes out of business.

I think it's only going to get worse Monday, and I doubt I'll be returning after this. Anyone who wants to reach me can send mail to democoder2000@yahoo.com

-DC
p.s. Go Raiders!

Oh dear, I hope I did not affect your decision to leave... and I hope you reconsider and stay.

misae said:
Hi Nappe1

Your message was very cryptic and apt as usual (if I understood all of it).. what the hell does this mean?!!?!?! :? :?

though he would have brand new shiney truck on his hands

why it has to mean something?

my point was that, since I losed my motivation to actively write here, this place has become a sandbox where two different companies supporters have a competion for nailing another company's supporters to the wall. for the weapons only rule seems to be bigger the better. IMO, that old Beyond3D that I joined is gone. it's all about whose got that shinier truck this time or whose gonna got it next week...

as said, I have already highly reduced used time here and even more posting here. Maybe that's because I have busy or maybe because I have partially lost my interest... I don't know...

DemoCoder said:

Hold on there. There is a reason I didn't reply after your first reply to Walt, but did after your reply to misae. I found the same flaws in both of your replies, but felt the idea of criticizing Walt's post making a big deal of it on these board did not warrant correction.

It is your denial of something that seemed plainly evident to me even when stated without the emotional tone of Walt's post (misae's reply) that prompted my reply, and I specifically did not criticize your name calling of Walt (even though I think it warrants criticism) in that reply, but went to great pains to focus only on your insistence that there was no spin in the post.

It ballooned from there into a broad criticism of your posts because of the way you replied after that.

I don't consider it "winning" if you leave, as not every post you make exhibits that behavior. But your incapacity for recognizing that you might be doing something that warrants criticism causes me to respond as pointedly as I do.

Not that I find my responses without flaw...

I consider that given your perception of me I should have gone to even greater lengths to make what I was criticizing clear, but I actually at some point thought back to that FX flow thread and decided not to bother. If I had it to do over again, I would have included the comment I considered, something like "Whether this comment is worth its own thread is another matter."

I quite simply do consider it a mistake that I did not, since I had already thought of the phrase and the effort would have been minimal, and in overlooking it (I think I forgot it the first time, went back and edited, and when editing decided not to bother to include it) I avoided an opportunity to cummunicate more clearly.

I tried for a several months to convince people to see that we had two *great* DX9 cards coming to market with similar features and performance and there was less reason for the heated battles of the past and more a reason to talk about what could be done with them in the future.

I find the idea that you consider my posts in opposition to this goal a gap in understanding that I cannot bridge as of yet.

But...what you decide to do is up to you.

DemoCoder said:

:(

Please stay DC. I really appreachiate your contribution on this forum and you're one of the member I respect the most.

DemoCoder said:

-DC
p.s. Go Raiders!

Look, people realize that we have two great dx9 cards.
No one wants nVidia to go out of business, why are you being rediculous? Everyone here has brains enough to understand competition is good.
Stomping off isnt going to help.
But maybe staying and taking things less personally would. How about you stop playing the white knight? Relax.
Honestly, do you expect people not to be disappointed with nVidia right now? I mean, from preliminary benchies, we have a slightly faster R300, with a few more features, thats bigger, and costs alot more. And its late.
This isnt an indictment of nVidia, we dont sit here cheering on their destruction!
But some people are obviously happy that nVidia is no longer on top. So what? How does that effect you?
The answer is, it shouldnt. All it iwll do is spark more competition, leading to even better products. Honestly, nVidia got complacent. Hopefully this will kick them into high gear.

I am not going to beg you to stay - i feel taht sometimes these posts are just desires to confirm your self worth by forcing board members to plead with yout o stay, so you can condescendingly tell tehm ok. (not that this is what this is, its just i hate this kind of post).
If you really wanted to leave, why tell us about it?
Ultimately, the descision is yours. Stay, or go.
No more melodrama please.

Look, people realize that we have two great dx9 cards.
No one wants nVidia to go out of business, why are you being rediculous? Everyone here has brains enough to understand competition is good.
Stomping off isnt going to help.
But maybe staying and taking things less personally would.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Though maybe he's thinking of leaving because of the prliminary GF FX results?

DC said:
I think it's only going to get worse Monday...

Yes, based on the preliminary results of the GFFX, it's going to get worse. But then, it'll only be "worse" for those people who take criticism of the GeForce or nVidia personally. It'll only be "worse" if you can't accept the fact that there may be some rightful criticism of nVidia / GeForceFX here.

I do understand how you feel, DemoCoder. Put yourself in the shoes of a 3dfx "fan" at the time of the GeForce / VSA-100 era. Put yourself in the shoes of people "defending a company / products" from an onslaught of accusations about "bad engineering", "lazy company", "bad products." with arguments backed by pure bullsh*t.

You can fight the good fight, and "defend nVidia and the GeForceFX" against wrongful attacks, while accepting rightful criticism. That's going to be a tough road for you, but a valiant one.

Or you can quit.

Stay or go, DemoCoder....the choice is yours.

What is this talk of nvidia going out of buisness about anyhow? They have tons of cash and they could srew up prolly again before you should start worring about that. However the same could not be said for ATi a year ago nvidia can stand to lose market share and still be in the black.

Yea I really cannot see NVIDIA going out of business because even though a large part of their business is gfx chips, they also are well positioned in the AMD chipset market (they have simply the best Athlon chipset and will probably set the standard for the new Athlon64 chipsets).

Hey as long as no one here is going to lose jobs over this there is no need to be so passionate (on both sides!). For all we know GFFX will be a MAJOR SUCESS saleswise and performance wise! Dont count your chickens until the eggs hatch!

misae said:
Let me start.. 3dfx inclusion = delayed the product, overhyped it, made it too hot to run using conventional cooling, started making their 'on boards' to ensure quality (ahem), gave it an external power source even though they are on a better process, overclocked the GPU so much so they can...

I know this was stated ironically (and in humor), but it is almost scarry! :oops: I used to love 3dfx (I pre-ordered the first 3dfx Orchid Righteous) and aside from all of our bickering, what do you think the FX "team" must feel? They have to know that for the performance community (the target), FSAA and AF are probably the two most important aspects--and they (the engineers) know how well the FX performs in that arena.

Of course, we'll know soon enough if the FX really is the minor step forward (and backward in some cases?) it appears to be. I'll wait until more reviews are available.

P.S.: What I hope DOESN'T happen is a lot of smoke-and-mirrors (or worse) to cover up or hide shortcomings.
[/list]

Back