Nvidia Volta Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by DSC, Mar 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Erinyes

Regular

Typo..I meant to say 10nm.. Also I should have clarified..I was referring to GV100 specifically. GP100 is pretty much maxed out in terms of die size and GV100 couldn't be much larger. They would probably be able to increase density a bit but would basically have to increase perf/W and/or perf/mm2 to see a substantial gain over GP100. Given how efficient Pascal already is..I wonder how much scope there is.

2. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

Skipping 10nm correlates well with skipping mobile.

Is Volta pretty much a refinement of Pascal? So far what I remember is known is :
    - RAS features (Reliability, Availability and Serviceablility), for Tegra
    - NV Link 2.0, as in faster/better/"this time it's a coherent interface, we promise", for HPC

I will compare it to Intel's Haswell-EP vs Haswell-EX :
    - RAS features
    - Transactional memory features can actually be used

It's a better improvement than GK210 vs GK110.

3. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

I've phrased it "GDDR6-whatever" since it's in the general consensus less important what the memory they'll use will be named as long as it delivers the necessary added bandwidth and fits the power & cost bill.

pharma, Razor1 and ieldra like this.
  4. itaru

Newcomer

5. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

The way I understand it: a 4 wide SIMD with 32-bit operands results in RAM banks that are 128-bit wide each. And you have 4 parallel banks, resulting in the 4x128 that's mentioned in the paper.

I don't see a date in that paper, other than the _2012 in the URL, so this seems pretty old? Maybe part of the Echelon project?

6. xpea

Regular Newcomer

some Volta information today from DGX Saturn V presentation:
    source: https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/11/14/nvidias-saturn-v-dgx-1-cluster-stacks/

7. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

At the end of the article :

But there I'm there, duh, isn't CAPI sort of what IBM calls the NVLink bus on its side of the bridge?
    It's a recent announcement, indeed AMD, Xilinx, Mellanox and others are invited to the OpenCAPI fest and they call the bus on POWER9 OpenCAPI.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10759/opencapi-unveiled-amd-ibm-google-more

So in the end, yes that reads as if AMD will be able to use the NVLink 2.0 bus, literally if not for the fact you can call it by another name. But perhaps in a second generation system ; perhaps on some big dGPU.

8. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

The challenge for them though is the R&D required to provide a much better fabric-connector solution; Intel bought the team & tech from Cray (QLogic) that is integral to their fabric Omni-path work while Nvidia headhunted key engineers related to Cray's interconnect work and core to the NVLink development.
    Both of which have been years in development and planning, and can be traced back to the work-experience of Cray's Aries interconnect to some extent.
    Cheers

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y likes this.
  9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

No - OpenCAPI and NVLINK are separate even if they use same physical parts in the IBMs end

[​IMG]

(to my understanding "New CAPI" is what became OpenCAPI)

10. psurge

Regular

Well, the diagram in this article, as well as the one you provide above, makes it seem like NVLink 2 and OpenCAPI could be using the same physical and link layers. It's not clear to me that NVLink 2 is separated from OpenCAPI by more than branding - do you have any concrete information on their differences that you can share?

11. Anarchist4000

Veteran Regular

It's more about the protocol than physical interconnection as serial connections are pretty straightforward. While AMD could potentially use NVLink, I'd imagine Nvidia want a significant licensing fee to do so. Even the protocol, I believe, was designed by an AMD Engineer that created GMI that Nvidia hired so it wouldn't be surprising if there were a lot of similarities.

12. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

So it's a layer cake.

I did read semi-recently about use of ethernet for on-board communications (sorry if I can't find it all, it seems hardly googlable). Sounds crazy, but if (somewhat) high latency/high throughput does the job and if integration of hardware and software is much easier it might have applications.

Alright, that'd be the Gen-Z protocol that would sit on top of ethernet as an initial implementation, but is certainly meant to sit on top of others otherwise, like on top of OpenCAPI - or the other way around, because I can easily make a reading or comprehension mistake and mix up the layers.
    https://www.nextplatform.com/2016/10/12/raising-standard-storage-memory-fabrics/

The article talks of memory pools and the ability to often safely pass pointers or metadata (handles) around instead of needlessly copying data from memory A to memory B, which I think is something I understand.

NVLink I can understand it's its own thing, not a big deal if most implementations only use NVLink between GPUs and that's what you needed. (and could afford)

13. xpea

Regular Newcomer

14. pharma

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA Volta GV100 GPU Chip For Summit Supercomputer Twice as Fast as Pascal P100 – Speculated To Hit 9.5 TFLOPs FP64 Compute
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-volta-gv100-gpu-fast-pascal-gp100/

15. itaru

Newcomer

pharma and CSI PC like this.
  16. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

Or maybe the superbrain of an author should first consider that Volta should come with quite some architectural changes. Even if we would be talking about a Pascal followup his conclusion would be complete nonsense since NV is using dedicated FP64 SPs, for which case it would had been "as much as you can fit in" and not a sterile *2 derived from an ancient projection on single precision throughput increase per Watt.

On another note Xavier seems to have moved from the former 20 DL TOPs @20W recently to 30 DL TOPs @30W, which smells suspiciously like a frequency increase. From whom is NV all of the sudden getting wet feet in the automotive? The blue giants' FPGAs as someone else said?

17. CSI PC

Veteran Newcomer

Well if true like I thought but importantly good news for Nvidia, they are doing the same run-launch sequence as they did with Pascal and that makes sense considering they made the unusual choice of manufacturing straight away with the biggest Pascal die possible even though it would have the highest risks/costs involved.
    I do stand and think they did that because they needed a technical stepping stone/risk management for their Volta design and obligations.
    With regards to the article remember how they announced the Pascal Drive PX2 well before the Pascal P100, and the Drive PX2 did not go into sampling status until very late in the year and well after P100 and even some consumer retail models.

Anyway if Bill Dally is not being misrepresented, looks like we will see the 'V100' sometime summer period in similar accessibility as the P100 was; core supercomputer clients 1st followed by DGX-1 clients followed by certified node clients (basically full stack P100 in an elite providor own 'box') followed lastly by the single card PCIe.
    And the numbers are interesing because just one of the supercomputers with the 2017 contract will need over 20,000 'V100' GPUs, by the end of the year they will be producing a fair number (they have several supercomputer contracts on these already agreed) even if they are not seen as individual Tesla GPUs.
    Not surprised myself tbh.
    I do still wonder if a replacement to the 1080 will also be launched late this year, was always my feeling they would also keep that within the same product cycle as we saw with Pascal and P100 followed by 1080, albeit this time not until very late Q3 at the earliest.
    Cheers

#97 CSI PC, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    nnunn likes this.
  18. seahawk

Regular

So they could announce GV100 around the same time AMD actually launches VEGA.

19. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I'm still skeptical on that, NVIDIAs roadmaps have clearly put Volta as 2018 product, while Pascal was 2016 product

20. CarstenS

Veteran Subscriber

Considering Nvidia hat GP100 in their labs around sep/oct 2015 and did not really show working samples at GTC'16, I don't think that they are ready to really show GV100 at GTC'17. Slide-announce, yeah, maybe.

Impressive, if they can pull a 50% increase in performance and can keep power on the same linear scale as well. Or Xavier1 was massively underspecced from the get go. ;)